Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 PM

13 posts, read 27,302 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
Im hoping to get some advice. Im from Long Beach, CA. Never cared for Long Beach personally, except for I like the cooler overcast days. Weather can make or break me and I like colder weather, 30 to 80 degrees but any hotter than that and I turn into a real pain.

I want to get my associates degree and follow that up with a certificate in something like Medical Billing or Paralegal or something in demand with decent pay. I do customer service right now, make pretty good money, and have lots of experience doing that. However there is not much room to go up in my career doing this with no degree.

My ideal place I would like to move or end up is WA. I love the weather there and its beautiful. Its much more "me" than CA. Also Seattle recently was named the best economy in the nation. I think its expensive there but not as much as CA. However school is more expensive there than where I live in CA.

I could move to San Diego, have less expensive rent (about $800 to $1000) and pay only $26 per credit at college. But its not really where I want to be.

Should I
1) Move to San Diego for school since its so much more affordable and try to make my peace there?
2) Move to WA like Ive always wanted to and pay more for school?
3) Live in San Diego while I go through school and then move to WA when Im done with school?

PS....any info you can give me about San Diego would be helpful in making my mind up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Another option would be to land a job up there, spend a year to earn state resident status, and then go to school there. You have to keep in mind though that the biggest problem with the weather there is the utter lack of sunlight that goes on for what seems like forever. I lived there for a year, and when I found myself trying to walk to the place where a single ray of sun was shining through the ever-present cloud, I knew it was time to move back to CA.
The San Juan Islands should not be missed! The same goes for Victoria.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 AM

204 posts, read 641,869 times
I don't understand why you would move to San Diego when the fees for the community colleges are the same in Long Beach.
I agree with Snort, go there and get residency to go to school there.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 AM

13 posts, read 27,302 times
Even with residency in WA its still about $200 less per class in San Diego. At least at the community colleges I looked at online for WA. Long Beach is over priced for the high crime you get. I have been to San Diego several times and like it much better. Plus I can get a one bedroom in SD for like $850. There is a lot of college areas in SD so it would be easy to get to school. Its not really the same in LB.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:58 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
Judging from what you prefer, Seattle seems like a good fit. Again, it is a little wet there, but economy is more robust and the city is growing. I've been to Seattle,worked a little in the Columbia Tower, and really liked it.

I don't think SD is going to be much of a change, other then it being cheaper, but I have no experience to back this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego