Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 AM

59 posts, read 174,513 times

Advertisements

Coming from PA, San Diego is far better hands down...that being said, the weather is not great when living a block from the ocean. I have lived here for the past 14 months and it's not what I expected at all. However, when I drive 3-5 min inland the weather is perfect. I had a patient tell me since he moved here (on the coast in carlsbad) in 2002 the weather has declined every year since then. He claims it's because of the global warming, ice caps melting in the ocean, making the ocean cooler and resulting in the thick marine layer they we all experience (at least here in Carlsbad). I guess you live and learn...

Last edited by usan8v; 09-22-2010 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 AM

15 posts, read 44,873 times
The coastal fog isn't anything new in the last few years, but there are better and worse years. I doubt it's caused by warm ocean waters--I'd always heard the coastal fog bank is caused by the clash of cold ocean air and warm land air. Maybe it's the cyclical "la niña." The effect usually diminishes in summer when the water warms up a bit, and is worst in early summer when the land is hot but ocean is still cool. If you fly SD to SF you can often see a narrow strip of clouds all along the coastline. Yeah, for me the ideal climate zone is just a few miles inland.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:34 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
A thicker marine layer is the result of cooler water temperatures, not warmer. This year, the currents have been chillier than normal. San Diego's temperatures have only ranged from 45 to 82 for the entire year so far! And yes, inland the weather is better just like it is all along California's coastline.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:34 AM

59 posts, read 174,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xambanga View Post
The coastal fog isn't anything new in the last few years, but there are better and worse years. I doubt it's caused by warm ocean waters--I'd always heard the coastal fog bank is caused by the clash of cold ocean air and warm land air. Maybe it's the cyclical "la niña." The effect usually diminishes in summer when the water warms up a bit, and is worst in early summer when the land is hot but ocean is still cool. If you fly SD to SF you can often see a narrow strip of clouds all along the coastline. Yeah, for me the ideal climate zone is just a few miles inland.
excuse me, I meant COLDER (changed it in the post)

Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,235,996 times
usan8v,

i'll tell you what. you can come back to lame @ss PA and take my house. and i will take your pad in san diego. lets make it happen. but after fall is over. its the one time of year i like the east coast.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,454 times
You do realize that we have just gone through one of the coolest, cloudiest summers ever. This has been a very unusual summer indeed. Read this Summer closes as one of the coolest in decades - SignOnSanDiego.com

I've lived along the North County Coast for 40 years and I don't recall a summer like this past one. But still, I'd rather have 65 and cloudy than 95 with humidity and bugs big enough to carry away a small child, only to know that it's about to be 20 degrees and snow.
Wouldn't you?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times
Our first year in San Diego, we lived in UTC. Not exactly coastal like you're talking about, but it was cloudy every single day. We barely saw any sun there, it was unreal.

Once the lease was up, we moved to Hillcrest. Not as inland as what most people consider inland, but what a world of difference. While UTC is still covered in fog daily, we are sunny as soon as the sun rises and it is much, much warmer. Such a small move makes such a difference. I'd never live on the coast in San Diego. The houses right near the beach are so expensive and you get to deal with the fog on a daily basis. This "summer", it lasted from May to most of August. I'll pass and stick to my sunny home!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I don't like living too close to the beach because it is too cool and overcast. I started at the beach and have continued to move inland every time I make a move. I like the warm sunny weather. This year has been an anomaly, but it is typical for the coastal strip to get a lot of clouds.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 26,255 times
Default My take on North County weather

WHAT CHU TALKIN' 'BOUT, WILLIS?!

How dare you say San Diego County weather blows (no pun intended)! I just moved here 3 weeks ago and gosh, I've had to wear a windbreaker just about every day. I live up in Oceanside, about 10 minutes from the beach. Every day, since I've gotten here, I've worn a sweater and/or windbreaker 'cause it is a bit nippy. However, compared to where I just came from, this is heaven! I haven't seen a rain drop since I've been here and the weather is just lovely... lovely, I do say. I have seen fog very early in the morning, but it usually dissipates a few hours later.

Love it or leave it, I say. Good luck and take care.

Love and smooches,
Worldly Loo-hoo-zer <3 @ u

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,288 times
worst weather in san diego metro: la jolla. I find La Jolla very cold for san diego. The ocean breezes and the marine layer are very annoying for most of the year- San Diego's SF. I would rather stay indoors in poway/escondido or go to a pool than have to deal with clouds and wind constantly.
best weather: carmel valley,la costa ,vista and every other location that is slightly inland, but not too far that its hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego