Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM

85 posts, read 373,494 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family (husband and I, and two kids, aged 8 and 10) are planning a visit to San Diego for a week in August. Just wondering if anyone has advice on what are the "must sees" as far as places to visit while there. We, of course, have heard much about the San Diego Zoo so we figured we'd spend a day there.

Is there some kind of day trip/tour that anyone would recommend as a good way to get an overview of the city?

Also, how far is the drive to LA from San Diego? I tried mapquesting it and it looks like maybe 2 or 2 and a half hours but that doesn't count local traffic patterns. Does that sound like about how much time it would take?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
LA to SD, 2 1/2 hours minimum, but that's after 8pm or maybe between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. If you pick the wrong time of day you could be on the road for 4-5 hours. Be sure to listen to the radio traffic reports, and be sure you understand exactly which freeways they are referring too.

San Diego Zoo: Overrated in my experience, but I suppose you need to do it at least once.

Sea World if you can foot the bill. The ticket prices are enormous.

Legoland up in Carlsbad. Your 8 year old is a good age for that. Pushing it a bit for the 10 year old. I'm not sure of the cost.

There are harbor tours that leave from the downtown pier. That might be a pleasant trip.

You might consider a trip to the Point Loma Lighthouse. Perhaps pack along a blanket and lunch. Besides the Lighthouse there is also information on old WWI and WWII shore batteries.

There is a tour bus that looks like a red trolley car that I've seen driving around the downtown area. Sorry I can't remember the name of that (Old Town Trolley?). But somehow I don't see the kids being too excited about something like that.

Go to the beach on Coronado. The absolute best beach in the area. Another pleasant family beach is Torrey Pines. Bring your sandcastle building equipment.

Pacfic Beach has a mini-Coney Island type amusement park which the kids will like, but PB is also very congested, and perhaps a bit too much of 'everything' for the young kids. But you'd could rent a boogie board at PB which you couldn't do on the less busy beaches.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:52 AM

85 posts, read 373,494 times
Thanks so much - this is exactly the type of advice I was hoping to get, from a local who knows what's up!

Also, just curious, what makes the beach on Coronado the best beach (cleanliness, location, size, etc.)?

I also appreciate the info on LA...we may just stay in San Diego since we are only there a week, and save LA for a future trip.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 638,929 times
I lived in Coronado for close to two years...it's a great place. Coronado has a large beach and more of a family friendly atmosphere than PB (Pacific Beach), etc. It is a beautiful, clean beach with the historical Hotel Del Coronado to your left and the Point Loma Peninsula at a distance to your right. Plus, there is a "dog beach" area down by the base entrance at the Coronado beach that we used to enjoy visiting. I loved seeing pugs and English Bull dogs! Coronado is easy to walk or bike around...make sure to visit Mootime Creamery for some yummy ice cream on Orange Avenue or at the Hotel del. I agree with Kettlepot that Torrey Pines is a good beach, too (definitely a GREAT place for some hiking!), although, make sure not to wander WAY down south to Black's Beach, as you'll be in for a bit of a "nude" surprise. I enjoyed the San Diego Zoo, and we even had season passes there. I liked Old Town, too...a good spot to go to if you're craving some Mexican food...easy to get to, just off I-5. I would avoid LA unless you're dying to go up to the Universal Studio amusement park or to see Rodeo Drive or something...lots of traffic and a much dirtier, smoggy city overall. Have a fun trip! You'll love SD!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:12 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
If both of you and your kids like Navy ships, check out the Midway aircraft carrier. It doesn't cost much and it's definitely worth it.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,446 times
Balboa Park
Wild Animal Park (North County)
Tijuana
The La Jolla Cave which the entrance is inside a store.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Balboa Park
Wild Animal Park (North County)
Tijuana
The La Jolla Cave which the entrance is inside a store.
Tijuana!?!.... As Krusty the Klown said, "It's the happiest place on earth!"

If you're a 18 - 25 year old looking to get a few drinking binges under your belt.

Maybe catch a "Girls Gone Wild" video in the filming stage.

They may have delayed the passport requirement. Be sure to check into that if you go south of the border.

Lots of good ideas from the other folks, Wild Animal Park, Midway Carrier, etc.

And Coronado is the best beach because of the cleanliness, available space, and quality of the sand.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:44 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
- Balboa Park. Museums and walking around the grounds
- La Jolla. The Cove, Restaurants, shopping
- Downtown. Restaurants, shopping
- Coronado. Lunch at the Hotel Del Coronado, and a swim.
- Mission Beach / PB : beach-blanket bingo
- Old Town for some old buildings and tourista trapista gringo-mex food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego