Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM

16 posts, read 20,269 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20 year old (soon to be 21) single, mixed female with no kids and I'll be graduating from college this upcoming May 2011 and I am looking at a few places to move to. I have lived in two other states besides Rhode Island and they are Virginia (Richmond) and Connecticut (Middletown). I'll have a degree in Business Management with two minors (entrepreneurship and market research) and might be looking into going into Public Health for my graduate school work.

California keeps coming back to me as I am eager to get off of the East Coast as I've been to every state except Maine and I need a change!!!

I have some detailed questions as I've been reading up hard on:

1.) What would be the best area for me? (my budget would be between $400-$800 a month, yes, I intend on going the roommate way - ever since I started college in RI I've been living with roommates, I want a nightlife, good public transportation, diversity, safety, etc, etc) - I keep coming across Carlsbad, North Park, Normal Heights, and Hillcrest as some of the best options for singles and the cheapest... with my specifications, which one would be better?

2.) What can I expect about the job market for people with my degree? Trust me, I know it's hard everywhere..., but it can't hurt to ask.

3.) Are there huge price differences in furniture, electronics between coasts? I only ask because (and yes, I know it's not part of the insular US) but I have a friend in the US Virgin Islands who was telling me how much of a price difference in terms there are.

4.) Would it be worth it to have items shipped over (big items: bed, mattress)? Or should I buy all "new" (used) when I get to SD?

5.) Any other useful suggestions? Or information that I might have missed?

Other notes: I don't plan on moving until I have a job (I am going to take full advantage of career fairs and my school's network database of companies) OR if I do move before I get a job, I know to have at least 3+ months or more of living expenses.

I had a cousin who is recently changed bases to be stationed in SD (she's been there coming up on a year) and I am in the process of finding out exactly where in SD she is, but hopefully I can get even more insight from her. I also have another friend who lives between La Mesa and El Cajon and she's giving me bits and pieces of information.

Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM

134 posts, read 309,915 times
1. If I was 21 living in San Diego, I'd either live around Pacific Beach or somewhere around Balboa Park (Hillcrest, North Park, Mission Hills, University Heights, etc.). Pacific Beach if you want to be in more of a party-oriented, beach-oriented lifestyle, around Balboa park if you are more interested in Southern California style urban living.

2. It is a very tough job market in California, especially for people who just graduated. San Diego does not have a lot of very good jobs outside of biotech/medtech and wireless communications. Honestly, it is not really a great city for someone starting their career. You would be better off in LA or SF or really any top 5 metro area where there are many more big, Fortune 500 type companies that will be more oriented towards hiring and training someone just out of college. Outside of Qualcomm, and maybe CareFusion, and maybe a very few others, there are mostly a lot of mid-size or smaller companies that are more likely to hire someone mid-career, since they don't have the scale to do much training.

3. There are not really big prices differences on consumer goods vs. the east coast.

4. Unless you have some fairly nice furniture, it is probably not worth shipping it.

5. Get a local number from Google Voice, and put it on your resume. Employers will be more likely to contact you if they think you are local. But unless you are really into certain types of outdoor activities or really good weather, now is the time to focus on getting your career going. Target the places where ambitious business people in the US build their careers: NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco/Bay Area, then maybe Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, after that.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarsen23 View Post
1. If I was 21 living in San Diego, I'd either live around Pacific Beach or somewhere around Balboa Park (Hillcrest, North Park, Mission Hills, University Heights, etc.). Pacific Beach if you want to be in more of a party-oriented, beach-oriented lifestyle, around Balboa park if you are more interested in Southern California style urban living.

2. It is a very tough job market in California, especially for people who just graduated. San Diego does not have a lot of very good jobs outside of biotech/medtech and wireless communications. Honestly, it is not really a great city for someone starting their career. You would be better off in LA or SF or really any top 5 metro area where there are many more big, Fortune 500 type companies that will be more oriented towards hiring and training someone just out of college. Outside of Qualcomm, and maybe CareFusion, and maybe a very few others, there are mostly a lot of mid-size or smaller companies that are more likely to hire someone mid-career, since they don't have the scale to do much training.

3. There are not really big prices differences on consumer goods vs. the east coast.

4. Unless you have some fairly nice furniture, it is probably not worth shipping it.

5. Get a local number from Google Voice, and put it on your resume. Employers will be more likely to contact you if they think you are local. But unless you are really into certain types of outdoor activities or really good weather, now is the time to focus on getting your career going. Target the places where ambitious business people in the US build their careers: NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco/Bay Area, then maybe Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, after that.
Thank you very much for your response!!

1.) I will look into those areas - I am trying to explore every avenue of the different places. I want to nail down a few because I want to visit these places before I decide to actually move there.

2.) I was thinking about LA and SF, but my thing is controlling the budget, but if I have a decent job - it shouldn't be something to worry about, right? LOL I am going to go and prowl the LA and SF boards as well, I want to keep my options very open and then narrow down as I go. And I'll keep those two companies in mind and also check out some smaller, thriving businesses as well. I am trying to hold off too much in-depth job market hunting until it is closer until I graduate it because the way the market could shift within the next year... Pointless getting my eyes on a few companies and then the market decides it wants to tank again...

3. & 4.) Ok

5.) That's funny that you mention Google Voice, I just got set up with that! I will definitely create another number when I start to send out resumes and such. And all those places that you mentioned, I've been looking at! I love NYC and I heard Chicago was beautiful - but I am tired of New England/Northern weather. Dallas and Atlanta also topped my list (they are sort of still an option, but a last option). And... I live 45 minutes from Boston and the work options there don't look any better than the work options here in Providence. But it's good to know I've been looking in the right direction.

Thank you SO much. You've given me a lot of information on all of this!! I am going to go and do a little more research on some places now!

If anyone else has anything to contribute, please feel free too!!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:47 AM

134 posts, read 309,915 times
San Diego's salaries probably actually skew a little low relative to rents. On average, salaries in SF and LA will be higher than SD, making it easier to afford higher rents. You shouldn't be thinking you want to move to San Diego for the low rents.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
mlarsen's advice is spot on. You move to San Diego for lifestyle and you sacrifice your career. You need to think long and hard about what is important to you.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 PM

Thank you both very much!! Career is much more important to me than simply the lifestyle itself, which I've been talking to someone who grew up in the same environment as me who now lives in LA and has been for almost three years, and he says he loves it.

I would never sacrifice career over lifestyle if I can achieve that lifestyle elsewhere with greater career opportunities which is my main concern at the moment! Thank you again~ off to the LA and SF boards!!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,986 times
It seems to me that many people that are doing very well in SD, somehow work for themselves, or have a business on the side that allows them to afford the kind of lifestyle San Diego offers. If you do come out here, just look all around on how many people are out and about during the day, you sometimes wonder if any of these people work.

It has to be a tough decision to make for someone as young as you, I understand you want to have a good time, party, or whatever it is you like, that's great in all, but like people here have already mentioned, San Diego simply doesn't have a huge selection of higher paying career based jobs. It's mostly in Biotech, drug industry, and various tech jobs. Plus the competition is fierce for these positions, Los Angeles and even Orange County probably is your best bet to get your career started. Then when you make enough money, or become wealthy somehow in a short period of time, you can move to SD. The land of the rich or poor, if your in the middle.....uh....their is no middle here..

Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
I have to agree that for the career minded SD isn't that great. I work with alot of young people and when they leave it isn't to any "great" jobs, basically mediocre but less hours so they can play more (work/life balance thing).

I know the Houston job market is good but of course the weather is awful.

From what I hear, Seattle ranks high on educated, career motivated young people. I know the job market there isn't all that great right now, but it might be someplace to consider. Beautiful city, lots of rain, and would be different than major east coast cities.

By the way, I love NE and Providence area!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
It seems to me that many people that are doing very well in SD, somehow work for themselves, or have a business on the side that allows them to afford the kind of lifestyle San Diego offers. If you do come out here, just look all around on how many people are out and about during the day, you sometimes wonder if any of these people work.

It has to be a tough decision to make for someone as young as you, I understand you want to have a good time, party, or whatever it is you like, that's great in all, but like people here have already mentioned, San Diego simply doesn't have a huge selection of higher paying career based jobs. It's mostly in Biotech, drug industry, and various tech jobs. Plus the competition is fierce for these positions, Los Angeles and even Orange County probably is your best bet to get your career started. Then when you make enough money, or become wealthy somehow in a short period of time, you can move to SD. The land of the rich or poor, if your in the middle.....uh....their is no middle here..
Yeah that's what I keep coming across biotech and tech! Which I'd love to go into biotech, but it'd require more than my current degree and I am ready to get out of the east coast and live a little bit. School in terms of a higher degree is very much on the top of my list, but after I become a little more established with myself.

Thank you for that, lol I keep hearing there's nooooo middle. So I have posted on both the SF and LA boards. It really seems like LA is going to be my best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have to agree that for the career minded SD isn't that great. I work with alot of young people and when they leave it isn't to any "great" jobs, basically mediocre but less hours so they can play more (work/life balance thing).

I know the Houston job market is good but of course the weather is awful.

From what I hear, Seattle ranks high on educated, career motivated young people. I know the job market there isn't all that great right now, but it might be someplace to consider. Beautiful city, lots of rain, and would be different than major east coast cities.

By the way, I love NE and Providence area!
Hmm... yeah, I don't plan on having an AMAZING job right off the bat, especially as a fresh college graduate, but I don't want to immediately jump into the corporate world right away. I want to start gaining that experience and live it up a little bit. One of my options I honestly wanted to take my money and travel around the world for a year or two, but then I'd come back home and start back where I am right now in terms of finding a job!! I'd rather start off with some stability and travel and know that I have a place to return to. Plus, I've been on the East coast all my life, all up and down.

And I was really looking at Houston and Dallas... my original choices in terms of locations were New York, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Houston/Dallas and then Cali if we go down geographically.

I have no interest in Washington state at all, mainly, because of the weather. I have a mild touch of SAD and the constant rain and overcast would do nothing to help me. This is one of the main reasons (outside of wanting a new environment and different job opportunities) I am leaving New England... the six months of winter has been torture on me since I left VA seven years ago. And even after seven years, I am not use to the cold at all, or the snow. And it usually doesn't get warm until almost April/May, there is no spring depending on the year or it's a muddy spring - though I do love the summers in NE.

My main goal is California, but being able to go where I please, I am flowing with the job market in some sense so I am taking a look everywhere.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice You're making my research document on California grow bigger and bigger!!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
You've actually helped me because I vacillate between NE and Virginia all the time to retire...but I just don't think I could handle those NE winters, after being in CA all these years.

With your degrees and since SD does have alot of small businesses, I think you could find something at least to get you some experience so I wouldn't give up on trying to find something here. Personally, LA is not a place I would want to work or live (or even visit), on so many levels. SF's a vibrant, diverse city but weather isn't the greatest, I mean it gets overcast there alot. I think Dallas could work for you but of course, no ocean there.

Gee, Virginia has the hottest job market right now. Have you considered going back there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego