Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:29 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,197 times

Advertisements

I love living in San Diego. I've lived here most of my adult life (moved here when I was 28). Granted post divorce I went from fancy living to much plainer life style and yes I watch house hunters on HGTV and realize I could have quite a large and lovely house for what I paid for my modest 1950s tract home, but I am happy to be here. We always look at each other and say, "Wow, look at what you could by there, but then you would have to live there." We'll stick with what we have in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
There are much worse places to be in the world. I think SD is the most livable large CA city by far, especially for families. And since this survey is about cities you don't currently live in, I don't think it's too surprising that a lot of people would love to live here based on what they've seen on a vacation or sports event on TV.

The problem is not the cost of living, there are lots of other places with high home costs. It's the lack of high paying (125k+) jobs. The challenge for me is that if I lose my current job, I'll most likely have to move away to find another, or take a big pay cut.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
There are much worse places to be in the world. I think SD is the most livable large CA city by far, especially for families. And since this survey is about cities you don't currently live in, I don't think it's too surprising that a lot of people would love to live here based on what they've seen on a vacation or sports event on TV.

The problem is not the cost of living, there are lots of other places with high home costs. It's the lack of high paying (125k+) jobs. The challenge for me is that if I lose my current job, I'll most likely have to move away to find another, or take a big pay cut.

I took a pay cut recently from that big $ status, but since that was from hourly it wasn't that bad since Uncle Sam was getting most of it. I'll do whatever it takes to stay here. I've lived in other States and most have too long a winter. Here we can drive to winter and be back home by dark.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM

I honestly don't remember ever wishing to live anywhere in particular. As an adult, every move I made was for work with the exception of the year I moved back to AZ from CA because I got engaged to my college boyfriend. I consider it just luck that we were transferred to San Diego County in our twenties, and that I was able to get a job here come back after a 12 year absence in Sacramento to make this my eventual retirement city. I enjoyed my 12 years in Sacramento, the best thing about Sacto for me, was the livability of a small city. Everything I wanted was within less than 5 miles and light traffic. I am thrilled to be back in San Diego near my kids, grandchild, the ocean. Balboa Park, and the chance to enjoy what is no doubt one of the most moderate climates in the contiguous 48 states.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Funny about the listing of San Diego being ranked as having bad traffic. We go there every year for vacation and think the traffic is great there compared to other metropolitan cities. We dread the traffic in other cities like Los Angeles. I'm not sure how they do it there as there is traffic almost all hours of the day or night except before 6 AM and after 11 PM.

We're getting ready to move to San Diego next year. It looks absolutely fabulous from a quality of living standpoint. I agree probably most that want to leave is for economic reasons of it being so expensive there.

One thing we are dreading is the expensive housing. Most of the really nice houses we are looking at with 4/5 bedrooms is in the $1 million range. Same house in other parts of the USA are about $250,000 to $300,000 so that hurts. Plus in many parts of San Diego they have they Mello Roos taxes which I've never seen before in other areas.

But the weather is fabulous, the schools in many of the areas like La Jolla, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, etc. are really great and it's safe. Also, we thought the traffic was really great.

Besides the high cost of living it seems like one of the most desirable cities in the USA.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
meh.

I lived in SD for two years. Good times on the beach and in the bars, but I'm not itching to move back anytime soon.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 AM

141 posts, read 286,831 times
I have lived in SD since the 80's. Anyone who states that SD is the most desirable city in the U.S to live in has not lived here, and is making that statement based on a week long vacation at the right time of year. San Diego a border town with a leadership that has no clue on how to grow a city. Everything is SD is going down hill from public safety to business growth. There are homeless, gangs, car thief's. Welfare and unemployment is the mainstay for most of the population living south of I-8. There has been no job growth in at least 12 years. Housing is overrated the beaches are dirty and not maintained. If you compare Florida beaches to SD beaches, and I mean things like keeping a bathroom clean so you kid can go potty and feel safe, SD is a broke joke. Just as 04kl4nd says, good time for 2 years drinking in bars and hangin out in PB going to college. That is what keeps San Diego going, and the rents in PB overpriced, college kids wasting money. The north county is full of people who really don't spend money and don't grow the economy. Housing is still set to fall in north county as the current cost of housing is unsustainable. Earlyretirement as not lived here, and if you wanna puff about mello roos tax just wait until you start paying for police and fire protection, as the states and cities are running out of money. Remember government jobs in Cali mean big buck for tax payers. A California Fire Fighter makes 80 to 100k a years, the CHP makes 120 k with OT, on and on and on. Any one thata had a clue would not retire in SD.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM

[quote=beachrescue;16390580]Welfare and unemployment is the mainstay for most of the population living south of I-8.

I live south of I-8 as do many people I know and we are just like people north of I-8, gainfully employed, retired, self supporting types. Makes me wonder if you actually know anyone who lives in the enormous area of San Diego county that is south of I-8. People sometimes say the funniest things on this board.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Don't get me wrong. SD is paradise compared to a lot of places around the country and I think if you want a basic life fueled by 'good times', there are only a few other cities that could compete. I just wanted something more with my life. Maybe it was because I was young and the people I hung out with, but I feel like I made the right decision to leave.

I come back down from the Bay Area a few times a year and I always laugh when people ask why I left. They never seem to get there is more to life than sunshine, bars, and the beach. Most people I know in NorCal think SD is a great town to relax, party, and chill, but my friends from SD could never imagine living anywhere else and they hate the Bay Area and think I'm crazy for leaving. Kinda funny

Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
[quote=skeke;16399064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
Welfare and unemployment is the mainstay for most of the population living south of I-8.

I live south of I-8 as do many people I know and we are just like people north of I-8, gainfully employed, retired, self supporting types. Makes me wonder if you actually know anyone who lives in the enormous area of San Diego county that is south of I-8. People sometimes say the funniest things on this board.
Ha ha - I had exactly the same reaction. I live south of I-8, and not only am I not unemployed/on welfare, I don't know anyone who is...
Please don't make blanket statements like that, beachrescue, - they are not helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego