Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

125 posts, read 197,171 times

Advertisements

I'm in early stages of possible move to SD and beginning to look at real estate. Would like to be within commuting distance of Petco Park, nice family community, good schools etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
I'm in early stages of possible move to SD and beginning to look at real estate. Would like to be within commuting distance of Petco Park, nice family community, good schools etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks...
What does "within commuting distance" mean to you? 10 minutes' drive? 30 minutes? Want to be able to get there via bus/trolley? Gonna make a big difference in the answers you get.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM

125 posts, read 197,171 times
Sorry, I guess that was a little vague. Maybe 30 mins to an hour by car. I've been looking at other posts and have a list consisiting of:-
Poway, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Encinitas, Carlsbad, DelMar, Solana Beach and Sabre Spring.
Not really sure about budget yet but assuming to buy between 400-500k..
Most important to me would be good schools (elem at this point) and friendly neighborhood.
Thanks again
C.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Where will you be working? The best schools are in Poway, stay away from most schools in the San Diego City Schools district.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:50 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Sorry, I guess that was a little vague. Maybe 30 mins to an hour by car. I've been looking at other posts and have a list consisiting of:-
Poway, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Encinitas, Carlsbad, DelMar, Solana Beach and Sabre Spring.
Most important to me would be good schools (elem at this point) and friendly neighborhood.
Thanks again
C.
If you're working near Petco, La Mesa might be a good spot. Housing is less expensive there than any of the places you mention (I can't imagine a house in your price range in *any* of those areas, except maybe Poway) and you could take the trolley to work or have a 30-minute commute out the 94.

Basically, if you're working downtown but living anywhere else, you'll be commuting with everyone else = traffic. I can't speak to the 5, but the 15 can be pretty pesky at rush hour (I pass the traffic on my reverse commute every day!)

Also, with your price range, you might want to look into the South Bay areas. There are other folks on this board who can speak to the schools etc down there.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Thanks again
C.
Hi, I actually used to do a reverse commute to what you are looking for. I lived downtown (about 2 blocks west of Petco, until recently) and drove to Scripps Poway.

As far as actual miles to and from, its approx 17-20 miles using 2 freeways. The 15 and 163. There are alternative ways to get downtown as well, but this is the most direct to and from for these 2 areas. My commute time averages approx 22 minutes (almost half of that time was getting out of the downtown area.)

Going down to Petco has more traffic in the mornings. It moves for the most part, but you start hitting it right before Hillcrest on average days. I would expect this to get worse over time though as more businesses in an around the downtown area grow.

As far as schools. I have no clue as I dont have kids. What I do know is from what I hear and see is what everyone else has said so far: that the Scripps Poway District is the "best". I never heard any compelling reason why its the best except for state test scores and the area being upper middle class.
I heard that SDUSD is a mixed bag but overall dismal. Some of La Mesa I also heard is "ok". Which brings up another area, La Mesa. You might want to look into this area as well for the prices of real estate you are considering. Its a little bit older and more established than some of the newer areas in San Diego. Scripps Ranch is just about starting to show its age but is well kept.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Have you considered Coronado, which is across the bay from Petco? It seems to be family-oriented with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego