Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

Reported today that Biogen-Idec (Massachusetts) is now completely shutting down its IDEC operations here in San Diego. Around 350 people will be losing their jobs (a few will be going to Boston area). Another blow to the biotech industry here and more evidence that businesses will be leaving California.

I read the campus has been sold, it is a beautiful facility from what I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Reported today that Biogen-Idec (Massachusetts) is now completely shutting down its IDEC operations here in San Diego. Around 350 people will be losing their jobs (a few will be going to Boston area). Another blow to the biotech industry here and more evidence that businesses will be leaving California.

I read the campus has been sold, it is a beautiful facility from what I understand.
The tech industry as a whole seems to be in trouble in SD. My girlfriends sister just got laid off yesterday from the company she works at.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
quote from U-T Article

“Like everybody else here, I’m just very disappointed,” Royston said Wednesday. “It’s disappointing that we can’t develop a major pharmaceutical company that stays here.” The loss illustrates a reality about the San Diego biotechnology hub that is a source of angst among some people. The region has strong academic and entrepreneurial elements that provide a nurturing breeding ground for pharmaceutical startups. But San Diego lacks the investment infrastructure and big-company culture found in Boston and the San Francisco Bay Area, which are home to many of the country’s biggest drug companies.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
I think that Research area in La Jolla foster more start ups than retaining larger corporations. I am hoping that some of these laid off employees will create a start up at least.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
I heard BioGen had a problem with one of their drugs not passing the FDA tests and it was pretty much a make or break item for them. I really don't see how this has jack to do with California's regulations or taxes or much of anything else. BioGen sunk a lot of money into a product which didn't get past the FDA and so now they're trying to cut back to preserve capital. Having a product you've invested heavily in not pan out happens all the time in all sorts of industries.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Biotech is not a jobs creator. Never has been and never will be. It is a capital intensive, startup-based business cycle. Unlike software which can turn wildly profitable in 5-7 years it can take decades for Biotech businesses to either succeed or fold. loveautumn is exactly correct. Most San Diegans are in denial about the net impact of biotech to the local economy, they think it is a major part of the local economy, reality is it is ultimately a very small, albeit typically high-paying cluster.

Most biotechs rely on VC capital and as a result they will consolidate to either the SF Bay or Boston MA as that is where the capital is. UCSD is not enough to create a sustaining large scale employment center.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Biotech is not a jobs creator. Never has been and never will be. It is a capital intensive, startup-based business cycle. Unlike software which can turn wildly profitable in 5-7 years it can take decades for Biotech businesses to either succeed or fold. loveautumn is exactly correct. Most San Diegans are in denial about the net impact of biotech to the local economy, they think it is a major part of the local economy, reality is it is ultimately a very small, albeit typically high-paying cluster.

Most biotechs rely on VC capital and as a result they will consolidate to either the SF Bay or Boston MA as that is where the capital is. UCSD is not enough to create a sustaining large scale employment center.
Thats news to me. I never heard or felt sentiment about biotech being a major part of the local economy.

For anyone I know that works in biotech, San Diego is one of the more dedicated hubs in the US for that industry, for whatever that is worth. Its pure R&D with barely any manufacturing in tow.

In perspective, R&D in the US for just about any sector is always going to be funded by any or all: VC, govt incentives/grants as well as tax friendly states and cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego