Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM

241 posts, read 428,432 times

Advertisements

Visit San diego in August and luv it there.What really impress me was when i visit Coronado Island.Do the island get earthquakes and wildfires like the city of San diego gets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,295,841 times
San Diego rarely gets big earthquakes since we're so far from the largest and most active fault lines but they do happen. Also Coronado isn't really an island as it has always been connected to the main land by a muddy string of land which in the 50's the government raised by several feet using fill material dredged from the bay. Now there is a highway across it as an alternate to the Coronado bay bridge or the old ferry boat system. As for wild fires, no, there isn't enough undeveloped land left on Coronado because prime ocean front real estate tends to be the first stuff developed.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,563,367 times
The major fault that is in San Diego would particularly affect Coronado if it were to be active.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 AM

126 posts, read 268,557 times
I heard an urban legend that the military planted explosives along the strand to be detonated in time of war so the ships can get out quickly without transiting the bay.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,135,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjudd View Post
I heard an urban legend that the military planted explosives along the strand to be detonated in time of war so the ships can get out quickly without transiting the bay.
I don't think that's true. Most of San Diego Bay is too shallow, under 12 feet. Even if you blow up the strand, there's no way military cruisers can get through that.

Quote:
Coronado Island
Coronado Island is a small uninhabited island 20 miles west of Tijuana. You can see it from San Diego on clear days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego