Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 AM

58 posts, read 176,654 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think,

We're moving in January. We're Renting a house. I'm looking all over central S.D. I've lived in R.B. before and I thought that was too far out, my wife doesn't want to live in Mira Mesa. La Jolla is a bit outside of our budget. Eastlake is too far south for us.

What is better between Northpark and Clairemont for a small family, or do you have some other suggestions? We're also considering mission Hills but I don't see may houses for rent in our budget.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:28 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
I live in NW Clairemont. In an area called Bay Ho. It's a nice area and very centrally located. My wife and I used to live in Plano TX back in the late 80s.

In what part of San Diego will you be working? What's your rental budget?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
What do you want in a neighborhood? These two neighborhoods are completely different. Clairemont is auto-centric; North Park is people-centric. Houses in Clairemont will be more modern. Houses in North Park will have more charm. North Park has walkable commercial. Clairemont has auto-oriented big box commercial. The lots in Clairemont will be larger. I believe Clairemont lots are more commonly in the 6000 square foot range. North Park lots are probably in the 4000-5000 square foot range.

The main rap on North Park is the quality of the schools, but that won't be an issue at all for 5 years. When it becomes an issue, charter schools will give you options.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:11 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Clairemont is generally more child friendly but most of the schools in Clairemont stink, albeit not as badly as those in North Park. North Park, too many drunks, alternative lifestyles, gangsters, partiers, wandering zombies for family life. South Park is better for the kiddos.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM

123 posts, read 405,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Clairemont is generally more child friendly but most of the schools in Clairemont stink, albeit not as badly as those in North Park. North Park, too many drunks, alternative lifestyles, gangsters, partiers, wandering zombies for family life. South Park is better for the kiddos.
I would second that.

I would not want my wife or kids to be out and about at night in North Park.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:07 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Clairemont and immediately get your kids on the "choiced in" list. The schools suck because all of S Bay is bused in. The locals send their kids to schools in LJ/BP and further north.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 PM

58 posts, read 176,654 times
Thanks everyone,

Great advice.

I'm moving my office and my family so, I'm looking for business office space as well. My top of the list spot for my office is Rose Canyon Business park in 92117 so I'm 90% sure I'll be working there. But.. I can go anywhere.

My home budget is 1800-2400 I really want to stay closer to 2000 though.

I'm on Trulia and Craigslist just about every day looking, sucks though because it changes so much it's pointless to even look till we're ready to sign papers.

I think you guys have swayed me to Clairemont / Bay Ho / Cheap La Jolla (if it exists LOL)

But I'll be considering everything till we sign the papers.

3 MORE WEEKS!!! CANT WAIT!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyDog View Post
Thanks everyone,

My top of the list spot for my office is Rose Canyon Business park in 92117
I live very close to Rose Canyon Business Park. Drive by there everyday. Nice area but very quiet. Not a lot of foot traffic.

Canyon Rim is a condo complex right next door. Here's a rental in Canyon Rim: 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath Townhouse in Canyon Rim!!!! (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/2077845159.html - broken link)

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Check San Diego Craigslist under housing:

san diego apts/housing for rent classifieds "clairemont" - craigslist

Also, another nice section of Clairemont is on the streets located near Mt. Acadia Blvd, which is next to Tecolote Canyon. It's an area known as the "Mount Streets", because the streets are all named Mt. XXXXX

It is very close to Balboa Ave and Genesee Ave, which is the best shopping area in Clairemont. It has 4 supermarkets, Home Depot, Target, Kohls, and lots of restaurants.

Here it is on Google Maps:

mt. acadia blvd - Google Maps

Old 11-30-2010, 11:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
If you're looking for the convenience of living near your office in Rose Canyon, then I'd pick Clairemont. But as Kettlepot said, Clairemont and North Park are two different types of neighborhoods, with NP being more urban. I you considered Mission Hills, then you should look at South Park and Kensington, as well. All are urban neighborhoods that are very kid friendly. I live in Kensington and I'm starting to see more strollers around here than dogs, and that's saying alot. Good luck on your move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego