Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM

10 posts, read 14,970 times

Advertisements

Just found out I am going to be a father!

With this new gift in mind, my priorities have changed. Are there any surrounding areas of/around downtown that are walkable and safe for a mother and child?

Keep in mind, I will be working on the US-Mexico border so any suggested areas too far north would have to be worth the drive time. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Congratulations Mister Grimm!

I like the the southern part of North Park. That would be from about Cedar Street north to Upas Street on the eastern side of Balboa Park. I like the small, early 20th century houses, walkable commercial area on the southern portion of 30th Street in South Park, and proximity to the central North Park commercial and entertainment area at 30th & University (but not too close). This part of North Park will provide pretty good access to Balboa park for jogging, and other activities, however, schools might eventually be an issue. Due diligence and/or a charter school might be necessary over the long run, but you will have years to worry about this. And yes there are other young families with young kids in the area. You'll just need to get plugged into a play group.

This area should provide you pretty quick access to the 805 or the 15 via Hwy 94, down to the border area. If you actually work at the San Ysidro Border crossing and want to take the trolley to work, that would require a different neighborhood.

Your peers working along the border probably mostly live in the Eastlake portion of Chula Vista. However, Eastlake is a traditional autocentric, autosprawl post-WWII suburb. This area does have the benefit of being closer to the border, and if you want newly built suburbia (1980s, 1990s, 2000s) this area would fit the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego