Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM

41 posts, read 57,163 times

Advertisements

Ok finally doing it and moving to the san deigo area, I got a job where I can work remote from anywhere, been trying to move west for the longest time but have been stuck in DC and NYC based on the industry... Buy YAY now I can go wherever i want so i am going to check San Diego..

I am looking for opinions on places to live in and around the san diego area from people who have or do live there, my interests and things I am looking for are as follows..

- Would like to be on or within a 1/4 mile walk to the beach
- Ability to walk places like restaurants and activities is always a plus
- I met a bunch of people I train with that will be in oceanside/vista so I will be driving there often enough might be good to have a short drive there.
- Safe neighborhood for sure, dont want my apt/car broken into all the time.
- Chill surf town would be cool, I want to learn to surf, I love snowboarding and skating so learning to surf is of interest to me
-All the martial arts schools i would be interested in seem to be more towards mission and pacific beach areas I think...

What I dont care about:
- Schools, i am single and have no kids so this doesnt matter.
- Commute to work, I work remote so that doesn't matter, just need an internet connection.

I am open to any suggestions and opinions... I am looking to get a 2 bedroom apartment or a large 1 bedroom in the 1000-1500 rage if possible, it seems reasonable based on craigs list ads but i have no clue if those are nice areas or apartments so I figured I would ask on here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Del Mar
Encinitas
Carlsbad
Leucadia

all awesome beach towns.

Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are also great places but these two have heavy populations of the young college party crowd.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:05 PM

418 posts, read 1,312,326 times
I have always been the biggest fan of downtown Carlsbad. Commuter train station is there, great beach and beach walkway/bikeway, plus my two favorite restaurants in the world are just a block apart. That is heaven on earth to me.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Del Mar
Encinitas
Carlsbad
Leucadia
all awesome beach towns.
Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are also great places but these two have heavy populations of the young college party crowd.
I agree with these suggestions, but I don't know if you'll find anything in your price range within 1/4 mile of the beach...

Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I agree with these suggestions, but I don't know if you'll find anything in your price range within 1/4 mile of the beach...
That's what I was going to say. The posts that say "I want to live near the beach, near quaint shops, safe, etc. and I only can pay $1000 a month" are tough. Something's gotta give.
Not saying it can't happen, because I bet Carlsbad and even parts of Encinitas have such places for rent. It's just that they go quickly and may be few and far between.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM

Well i was thinking of a 1500 dollar budget for an apartment... What kind of budget would you suggest for that kind of area?? I can afford more I suppose I make roughly 100+ salary wise.. and have no expenses to speak of.
I dont need much in the way of amenities.. Just a place to park my car and a decent amount of space within a few blocks walk to the beach... I will honestly be sleeping on a blow up mattress rolling out with my labtop and a big suitcase of clothing LOL The only reason I need the space is so I can breakdance in my livingroom and get a desk to work at. haha
I was looking around on craigs list in multiple areas seeing 2 bedrooms with 1000sq feet within like 1000 feet or so of the beach for $1300ish. But I have no clue about areas so these areas might be dangerous for all I know...

I will look into Carlsbad for sure since that seems to be the consensus on the responses given. I would get a roommate to cut the cost in half but roommates always end up being a hassle.. rather pay double and relieve myself of dealing with roomates... Oh and I can totally give on the quaint shops :P just nice to be able to walk to a CVS wallgreens type store is good enough for me...

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Pretty much everywhere in San Diego city and county is safe. The beach communities are no exception.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes0cket View Post
well i was thinking of a 1500 dollar budget for an apartment... What kind of budget would you suggest for that kind of area?? I make roughly 100+ salary wise.. And have no expenses to speak of.
I dont need much in the way of amenities.. Just a place to park my car and a decent amount of space within a few blocks walk to the beach... I will honestly be sleeping on a blow up mattress rolling out with my labtop and a big suitcase of clothing lol
I want your job!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I want your job!!!
Haha well you can have my job if you want to sit at home all day and night and hack into places?? LOL Its a pretty sweet job for me at least :P Been kicking my own butt for years trying to get that job, as a remote gig so I can go somewhere warm.... Bouncing between crappy weathered east coast cities... ugggg Hate snow, so ready to just hop out somewhere that I can train all year long and play outside without worrying about dieing of freezing to death hahaha

Good to know everywhere is safe!!! Is there any places you would suggest to stay away from though??? I am taking notes :P I plan on going to San Diego in February for a month to check out all the areas and look at apartments and my options... Going to ride out all of the hotel points I have accumulated over the years..

And what is a realistic budget for a single guy in and around those areas who wants a relitively spacious apartment near a beach.. but it doesnt need to be fancy at all...

Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
1k/mo is dump apartment territory. 1500 will get you something decent. Beach areas are expensive. Given your expectations, plan on spending more money. Any of the areas mentioned are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego