Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times

Advertisements

What's up everybody? I'm a 24 year old college grad from Ohio. I'm moving to SD in the relative future--likely in the middle of January--and would like some input on where to live. I will be renting at first and ideally would like to spend around 1000 /month on rent. I've heard/seen so many opinions on neighborhoods but it seems that most people in the blogs just talk up their own personal hoods and bash the others haha. I am definitely a partier but need to be someplace where I can take a break from the party atmosphere when needed. I would like to be somewhere I can walk to do pretty much anything, but still have access to major highways and freeways. I am an avid golfer and love pretty much anything that goes on outside. The whole music scene is a staple in my life as well, so it's a little imperative that I'm close to a good music scene. I don't have any friends or family in the area so I definitely need to be somewhere where I can make friends relatively easily--something I generally have no problem with... I really couldn't give two ****ts about the sexual preference, religion, or political affiliation in the neighborhood I move to--although I would like to live in neighborhood that is predominantly young and white (or young and white w/i walking distance). Any comments are appreciated! (even if you offer little to no constructive input...)

Last edited by Schrazmatic; 12-08-2010 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: Forgot key detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:10 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Rent a room in PB off of Craig's list.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Where will you be working?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Oerdin is right... just rent a room in PB (zip 92109). Make it a short-term thing. Month-to-month but no more than 6 months.

You seem to know what you want and that's good. But the only way you're going to find the best place for you is to go out and look for it. You'll need to live here for a while to figure this place out and where you fit best.

On the other hand, apartments are easy to find in San Diego. A good job ain't. Spend more time looking for a job. Your job will help define where you live.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
I'm also an Ohio native who ended up moving to San Diego when I was 24, although I have since relocated elsewhere. I agree with what the others have told you - move to Pacific Beach. Lots of younger transplanted people, bars, and social life in that area. You may end up finding that another area suites your needs better, but PB is a good jumping off point. PB is also very much like the stereotypical SoCal beach community, which is nice change of pace coming from Ohio.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrazmatic View Post
I am definitely a partier
PB

Quote:
I would like to be somewhere I can walk to do pretty much anything, but still have access to major highways and freeways.
PB

Quote:
I don't have any friends or family in the area so I definitely need to be somewhere where I can make friends relatively easily
PB

Quote:
I would like to live in neighborhood that is predominantly young and white (or young and white w/i walking distance).
You guessed it...PB

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,600 times
haha, thanks for the input guys. My only qualm with PB is that I've heard it parties 24/7. I cave to party peer pressure really quick, so I need to be somewhere where I can concentrate on getting work done and being productive from time to time.

@Moved I'm in biotech sales so I will be all around San Diego. The location of my home is not too important as far as employment wise, which is why I'm trying to find my right social scene.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 AM

426 posts, read 791,434 times
Quote:
haha, thanks for the input guys. My only qualm with PB is that I've heard it parties 24/7. I cave to party peer pressure really quick, so I need to be somewhere where I can concentrate on getting work done and being productive from time to time.

@Moved I'm in biotech sales so I will be all around San Diego. The location of my home is not too important as far as employment wise, which is why I'm trying to find my right social scene.
It's only really like that during the summer and certain holidays. But now since there is no drinking on the Beach, I think the parties have tamed quite a bit.

Try Mission Valley, OB, Clairemont, Northpark areas to.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Anyone who parties 24/7 will quickly find the cops at the front door handing out tickets and checking everyone's IDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: