Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 12,301 times

Advertisements

I like being a Civil Engineer, I'm just a little frustrated because I'm not working as one right now, I want to return to the field, but it's difficult right now. I've applied to countless positions and have inquired about positions with dozens of firms in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM

43 posts, read 67,528 times
I'm moving to SD from Seattle in 3 months myself. It really is a leap of faith, as I have no job lined up. I work in research, which isn't a field I want to work in forever, but there tends to be a lot of research down there. I am confident I will find something soon. It is definitely nerve racking to leave a place where I've become established, but change is needed and so I've gotta do what I've gotta do. I wish you the best!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM

11 posts, read 39,758 times
I lived in sd for two years..moved from philly...Firstly, besides gas the cost of living isn't that much more expensive...This is the most overly exagerated claim that come from broke losers on the west coast that work 10 hours a week and cant understand why they're always broke...yah, if you purchase a house in a nice area, pay property taxes etc. etc. etc....If you are 24 and your renting a room/ renting an apartment there is NO cost of living difference...cable/ interent still cost 70-80 bucks a month...a freaking tombstone pizza at ralphs in carlsbad costs the same as it does at pathmark in philly. This being said living in San Diego is awesome...as stated before the problem is getting work...even getting a job waitering will be very difficult as those jobs are usually acquired by the hook up of people who know people out there...you know not too many people.....I would set up a home base in San Diego and expect not to be able to get a part time job...If you send out your resume of being an engineer from S.D to San Fran you should be able to get a job...If you pinhole yourself to S.D. you may be waiting more than 6 months to find something in this economy...good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego