Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,173 times

Advertisements

In Feb 2010, we rescued a large pit/mix male dog from the humane society. He's a lovely dog but shortly after getting him I was outside with my next door neighbor and his two dogs, all dogs off leash (mine too). Another neighbor came from across the street with his unleashed dog who my dog had not met. We were all chatting when my dog and the new dog were sniffing each other. The other dog maybe barked or snapped at my dog (not unusual as most dogs get a bit frightened by my dog b/c of his size). My dog overreacted and pinned the dog down. His dog was screaming and writhing around to get away. My next door neighbor kept trying to yank my dog off of him. The dogs were separated and the other dog seemed fine. One or two small punctures. One ended up getting some swelling under the skin so they took it to the vet and got a drain put in. The dog was fine but I felt incredibly horrible. I apologized, paid the vet bill, brought a doggy treat basket and a card signed by my dog. We immediately hired professionals to assess if my dog was aggressive. We had 8 private training/evaulation lessons with a highly regarded professional in SD. She brought lots of other dogs in and deemed that my dog was not aggressive at all. He was, however, immature and overreactive to corrections/warnings other dogs may give him. The next door neighbor was one of our very close friends. He and his wife came over weekly for dinners, etc...However after this event he said our dog was never allowed to play with their dogs anymore, said he was vicious, etc. My husband asked him some questions and was curious why our dog is considered aggressive when, by his own definition of aggressive, would make his dogs aggressive too. We have witnessed his dogs attack each other, other dogs, and even their owners on several occassions. But he said that is different. He got very angry at my husband, chest bumped him, threw his keys at the door, screamed, cussed, etc...and we haven't really been friends since.
Several months later we got another dog, puppy female. One evening we got home and let the dogs out to pee when I find the next door neighbors two dogs in our yard. I was confused when suddenly their male pit ran up and attacked my male pit mix. It was crazy. I pulled my dogs hind legs up and pulled him back into the garage while the other dog kept attacking him. My husband ran out and took the dogs and put them back in their yard. I was checking out my dog's injuries and texting them about the incident (they weren't home) and they didn't believe their dogs were in our yard. That my dog must have come into their yard and attacked their dog. (which makes no sense because their dog would be dead if that was the case. No way I could have gotten over there to pull it apart). We were all upset and took our own dogs in for treatment. Both were fine, typical puncture marks. My husband and I decided to add fencing to our side of the yard and make it higher in places that we though possibly contributed to them getting into our yard. I asked him to help make it so the dogs can't get out of their yard. He was snarky and didn't think it was his problem. Then a week later, his dog got into my yard again. Even after we built additional fencing. This time I left his dog in my yard for them to come get and took pictures. The other dog wasn't home or else I'm sure another fight would have ensued. Since then the two males fence fight constantly.

I've tried water deterrents, more fencing, ecollars, but once they get riled up they can get each other going big time. I always go outside and correct/end the behavior on our side. I've never heard them trying to get their dog in or correcting the fence fighting. Both dogs can start it and we've tried everything to get it to stop. But I don't think I will be successful without there helping with their dog. So then the other night my neighbor, who is apparently scared for his safety, walks his dogs along our property line where a fence and large shrub separates my yard from the sidewalk. He had apparently stopped to let his dog **** on our shrubs while our dog was barking and trying to get at him through the fence. I believe instead of walking away, the neighbor just let his dog fence fight or something. Finally my dog busted through the fence, and got through the thick hedges, and attacked his dog. I take full responsibility for my dog getting through the fence but there was so much leading up to it.

I tried to go over there and talk with them but he screamed for me to "EFF off and EFF you and I'm going to kill your effing dog." "He's dead" Screaming at me. A witness saw him walking up the sidewalk and allowed his dogs on our yard to urinate even with my dogs barking. He didn't try to move in a different direction, he just stood there as my dog attacked the fence. As we were getting the dogs separated, his wife came and brought their dogs home while he had my dog pinned down and his knees and hands around my dog's neck and face. When he finally got up and walked off, I thought he had killed my dog. He laid there stiff as as board on his side with eyes bugging out and just peed. It was bizarre. Guy walks off screaming "he's dead, your dog is effin dead".

I went over there to check on their dog and offer to pay their bill and he continued to verbally threaten to kill my dog and take all sorts of actions. Why can't he see that this was all instigated by the fight that occured when his dog jumped his fence into our yard and attacked our dog. Then they haven't stopped fence fighting ever since. They do nothing to help or they just don't care. Then they parade in front of our house and are pissed at me when something finally did happen?

I mean, it was bound to happen and I'm terribly sorry it did. But it's gone from being about dogs to being afraid for my own safety. He already put his hands on my husband and has not verbally threatened me. What would anyone do in this situation? We offered to pay their vet bill but then I think it would only be fair to give them our vet bill from the fight their dog caused by getting into our yard. And if they want to call animal control then I guess we should do the same re: their dog. I just need some advice from an outsider. What would you do?! Thanks for reading all this!

I am now constantly scared of him killing my dog or snapping and coming over here with any of his multiple guns. I have a toddler and can't deal with him anymore. Can I get a restraining order or something based on his threats and previous physical altercation with my husband? They were our best friends. It's so sad. We would have weekly get togethers and now it's horrible. Thanks for reading and answering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 AM

241 posts, read 713,165 times
I'm an emergency vet of 10 years and I can say that the first instance where you paid the bill for your "friends" is almost unheard of -- that was very responsible of you as was the entire follow-up with professionals. I feel that adding another pet to your household was questionable given your dog's prior actions, but if the professionals felt it was ok I can't argue from way over here...hopefully they were well qualified behaviourists and not self-appointed/grandiosed dog trainers/pet psychologists.

There is no way for me to judge from here but it seems that your dog may not be the greatest pet. Obviously you have to take better measures to ensure that he cannot get out and harm anything/anyone.

As to the rest of the situation how have you not called the police yet? I don't know the laws in your area but I would recommend contacting a lawyer or researching the animal laws in your jurisdiction and finding-out at what risk it puts your dog wrt being euthanized for attacks if you report your neighbour and then taking the appropriate action. Keep a cool head and decide what is best for you, your pet and your family. (That being said I would almost certainly kick the sh#t out of anyone I found choking my dog...it sounds like you have some neighbours with a good streak of white trash running through them so I assume you could get stabbed/shot if this was your response).

Personally, I would consider moving away from these people if it is realistic option if they pose a threat to you, your pet or your family. There is no point in being the one who is right, etc. if it ultimately deteriorates your quality of life.

I hope it all turns out well for you and your family.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
What a train wreck. I would have called animal control, probably on both of you (sorry) the first time it happened. Be glad one of your animals hasn't killed a kid. You still have this dog, why?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Big surprise - your pit bull is not a good pet. Dogs should never be off-leash unless it's in a fenced yard.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Try posting this in the Dogs forum also. You'll get even more advice.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
This may get very expensive. Keep your dog on a leash for his protection and yours. You will lose in court if you do not use the leash.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Place cameras inside of your house in such a way that they provide an unobstructed view of the sidewalk in front of your house, and the fence that separates your property line from the neighbors. If the cameras can include audio as well as video that would be a plus. Besides providing evidence in the case this situation continues either with the dogs or the neighbors, you could find these cameras useful in the case of car prowls, vandalism, burglaries, etc., so they would be multi-taskers.

Unfortunately, your dog has reacted as badly as the neighbor's dog which puts your legal position in peril. But apparently no one has behaved as badly as your trashy neighbor.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 AM

418 posts, read 1,312,209 times
I had an ongoing dispute with a next door neighbor who wouldn't listen to reason. I finally figured out his hot button and go him riled enough that he came over to my house and as I was shutting the door in his face he pushed it opened and made the mistake of taking a step inside. The end, problem solved!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I had an ongoing dispute with a next door neighbor who wouldn't listen to reason. I finally figured out his hot button and go him riled enough that he came over to my house and as I was shutting the door in his face he pushed it opened and made the mistake of taking a step inside. The end, problem solved!
You did not!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
... and he's now floating out there with the albinos and the mermaids, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: