Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times

Advertisements

So this time next week, I'm taking a vacation through the West Coast, making stops in San Diego. I'm not against touring anything that are considered "tourist sights," but I tend to get bored with the typical spots in about an hour. I want to know some of the more interesting places within SD to check out. To make it easier, I would like to know the following:

-Some of the more quirky and interesting neighborhoods that has a certain character to it? The neighborhoods that have that distinguishable flavor, whether it's a laid back, beach surfer, or of a certain ethnic group.
-Some of the best local eateries that local swear by? The kind of food doesn't matter, as long as it isn't nationwide corporate crap (although I will make an exception to In-N-Out Burger and Jack in the Box, as I have never been to either one in my life).
-I'm a young dude with who likes to enjoy himself especially at night, so any great nightlife spots that aren't snooty, down to earth, and aren't averse to guys who are out of town and want to have some fun would be great.
-For the beaches, which ones would you recommend for tourists to visit? The popular ones as well as the underrated ones many locals keep as secrets. would I be able to take off my shirt if I don't have the most epic chest and six-pack (granted I don't have a beer gut neither)?
-Would visiting the nearby Mexican border be an option as a tourist spot to check out, or would it be even wise considering the crime rate a lot of people complain about in Tijuana?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. Looking forward to my visit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Neighborhoods with character:

North Park: The architectural character is south of University Avenue at least 2 blocks and further south. The nightlife, restaurants and clubs are around University Avenue and 30th Street.

South Park: The entire neighborhood has a hodge podge of character and grittiness. The restaurants and nightlife tends to to be on 30th Street south of Juniper Street.

Hillcrest: The area has character and nightlife around University Avenue and 5th Avenue. Also is known for being the gay neighborhood, but that actually overstates the current situation.

Gaslamp: It has the biggest collection of night spots in the city and is located along Fifth Avenue south of Broadway. However, some of these may be higher end that you are looking for.

Pacific Beach: Has a club and nightlife scene along Garnet Avenue and along the beach. It tends to cater to the 20 something crowd. If you take off your shirt you probably won't be harpooned, but an 'epic chest and six pack' never hurt anybody with the PB crowd. On the other hand, it will probably be too cold and windy to take any clothing off.

Other interesting spots with character include Normal Heights and University Heights, but these areas have fewer entertainment and food places than what I've listed above.

San Diego really doesn't have ethnic neighborhoods in the way the eastern U.S. does. There are certain areas where the concentrations may be higher than average, but that on its own really doesn't give a neighborhood any special character.

I would not visit Tijuana alone. It's always good to have back up south of the border. This may be more urban legend than truth, but it just seems wise.

Some of my preferred beaches:

Coronado: wide and sandy
Pacific Beach: Beach Blanket Bingo! (per Sassberto)
Torrey Pines Beach: Quiet and natural
Blacks Beach: Harrowing hike down the cliff with nude bathing at the bottom - but 90% of them will be old, fat guys in their 50s and 60s. So don't go there thinking your going to see anything. Eh, maybe the percentage of old, fat guys isn't that high, but certain images just sear themselves into a person's mind - never to be expunged!

Others will probably list some of their own favorites.

Other Scenic Attractions:
Sunset Cliffs, Mount Soledad, Point Loma Lighthouse, Balboa Park western side. If you make some friends, Frisbee golf on the north east corner of Balboa park could be fun.

Avoids: Seaport Village

Old 12-20-2010, 11:01 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
The Black's Beach advice is too funny!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:20 AM

22 posts, read 46,643 times
In Solana Beach/Encinitas (can't remember exactly) there is Pizza Port. Fantastic pizza and beer! Yum Yum. There use to be an awesome little bar called Surf and Saddle just around the corner too. It's right on the 101 and I spent quite a few weekend nights in that little area a few years ago! They had some decent live bands then too.

^ Definitely skip seaport village. That's a site for grandma and her walker.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
local eateries:

If you're in that area and the rain has stopped, Nessy Burgers in Fallbrook: Nessy Burgers - Welcome

In San Diego itself, Canada Steak Burgers: Canada Steak Burger. Makers of the Best Gyros and Steak Burgers in San Diego

In-N-Out is worth a stop. (I think you could give Jack in the Box a miss.)

Someone else mentioned Pizza Port - I'll second that!

beaches:

Ocean Beach - comes complete with its own quirky neighborhood. Old hippies, young homeless, mostly non-chain places (Starbucks managed to open there, but just barely.)

Imperial Beach, just to catch a glimpse into Mexico. (Too bad they walled up that park at the border.)

If you really want to visit Mexico, consider Tecate instead of Tijuana. Since you're 'a young dude', I might mention that Tecate has opened up some night clubs in recent years, but I don't know what kind of vibe they have - I don't know whether they're for locals or for tourists or both.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:40 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunMichelle View Post
In Solana Beach/Encinitas (can't remember exactly) there is Pizza Port. Fantastic pizza and beer! Yum Yum. There use to be an awesome little bar called Surf and Saddle just around the corner too. It's right on the 101 and I spent quite a few weekend nights in that little area a few years ago! They had some decent live bands then too.

^ Definitely skip seaport village. That's a site for grandma and her walker.
Pizza Port is in Solana Beach (on the west side of Coast Highway just north of Lomas Santa Fe) and there's one on Carlsbad Village Drive in Carlsbad. Good stuff indeed!
The Surf and Saddle is now an Irish pub called McCaffrey's. It's ok, not great. We all miss the Saddle up here.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:01 AM

22 posts, read 46,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Pizza Port is in Solana Beach (on the west side of Coast Highway just north of Lomas Santa Fe) and there's one on Carlsbad Village Drive in Carlsbad. Good stuff indeed!
The Surf and Saddle is now an Irish pub called McCaffrey's. It's ok, not great. We all miss the Saddle up here.
Dang it. I feared this.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 66,197 times
Default More choices

Hi, I live in "north county" which is quite different from San Diego proper and most here don't go downtown much other than for work. Leucadia is a part of Encinitas that is in kind of a time warp and looks the same as it did forty years ago. Nothing for tourists but a "locals" vibe. Go to Juanit'a Mex, get a take out Carne Asada burrito and head down to Beacons or Moonlight beach. Hang out on the cliff and enjoy your burrito! For nightlife there's the Belly Up tavern iln Solana Beach, a local landmark that showcases top flight bands, many retro rock bands. English Beat in Feb and Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven 12/28. Small club, holds maybe 400 and very casual dress, dockers and a shirt would be plenty. Also a safe place to venture into alone......

Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
ill put in another vote for Ocean Beach. i spent an entire day there just taking pictures of the landscape around the pier and newport ave. and yes, i had to check out hodad's. great burger. i wanted to beat the crap out of those hippies though.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
ill put in another vote for Ocean Beach. i spent an entire day there just taking pictures of the landscape around the pier and newport ave. and yes, i had to check out hodad's. great burger. i wanted to beat the crap out of those hippies though.
Why? What were they doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego