Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine someone in the entertainment industry moving from LA to SD. Perhaps you are looking for a career change? You would be leaving the nation's 2nd largest media to come here? On top of that, you live in Santa Monica, which is one of the few good areas in LA to live? Just keep enjoying your weekend jaunts down here and have the best of both worlds! Or you can pick up a downtown condo and make it a second home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
i can't imagine someone in the entertainment industry moving from la to sd. Perhaps you are looking for a career change? You would be leaving the nation's 2nd largest media to come here? On top of that, you live in santa monica, which is one of the few good areas in la to live? Just keep enjoying your weekend jaunts down here and have the best of both worlds! Or you can pick up a downtown condo and make it a second home?
lol haha

Old 12-30-2010, 10:58 PM

13 posts, read 21,274 times
San Diego's cost of living is approximately 31% higher than the average cost of living around the rest of the nation....If I were you, I'd make my career path "PRIMARY" not optional as you say....if you love the city so much, as you say..., without a career in San Diego, you'll end up in downtown looking for a place to sleep in the the homeless shelters...the entertainment field will be illusive if you don't know anyone working in the industry...how in h___ do you expect to make a living...unless you're a millionaire and/or you're living off your investments? I don't want to mislead you...but your information is too thin for me to want to give you any encouragement along the lines you are requesting.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM

5 posts, read 12,596 times
I should probably just make some small effort to remove "entertainment industry careers" from discussion here, since it appears that we are all mutually aware that there isn't a lot in the San Diego area. I love the city and think it would be a great fit for my family, who also love it there. I guess that career uncertainty is probably the single biggest factor holding me back... I literally don't know what's available, or more to the point, what I'm even qualified for... and obviously keeping a roof over the wife and kid's heads is a priority! Ah well, if I don't figure it out, maybe I can wait another 30 years until I retire. I just can't shake the feeling that San Diego is in my future one way or another!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokumaker View Post
I literally don't know what's available, or more to the point, what I'm even qualified for... and obviously keeping a roof over the wife and kid's heads is a priority! Ah well, if I don't figure it out, maybe I can wait another 30 years until I retire. I just can't shake the feeling that San Diego is in my future one way or another!
If you can't figure out what you're going to do for a living, and you want to live in an area comparable to Santa Monica, and you have a wife and kids, then maybe San Diego is not for you.

San Diego's job market is a little of everything, but not much anything. Identify an industry, sector, profession, or company you'd like to work for and start from there. You'll need to make six figures to live in a nice area with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego