Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:18 AM

15 posts, read 24,962 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some people who are currently living or have lived in SD for honest advice before I make that move.

I lost my job well over 9 months ago. I was the General Manager for a large nightclub for the last 5 years. We were a very busy place and very profitable. We catered to an upscale clientele. The owner of the venue pass away unexpectedly. The wife had no interest in keeping the venue open and running. It was closed only days after his death. The venue was sold off piece by piece till it was gone. Sadly all the staff was simply let go. Most employees were only part time but it was my full time job. 40+ hours a week. I have worked in the nightlife industry for the last 15 years. I have looked for work all over the USA and even parts of Europe with no success. I was told by some people in the nightlife business that San Diego is a hot bed for the nightlife scene and there is great possibility of employment for managers like myself with the amount of experience I have. I cannot continue to live to here in NYC because of a few reasons. Mainly the lack of work in my field of expertise. There is a war on nightclubs and bars in NYC. The city just doesn't want them here anymore. Another reason my rent is well over 1850 for a small one bedroom on the upper east side and its less than 520 sq ft, that is not including parking, utilities and other bills in that price. With no income or unemployment, thats getting really hard to pay each month and the savings is going bye bye pretty fast.

My questions...

1. Is the nightlife there any good from a employee point of view.
(Please only answer this question if you know the nightlife scene.)

2. Is the cost of living in SD higher then NYC?

3. What does a basic apartment cost in a safe area.

4. What are the safe areas to live in.

5. What could you get for $900 month in a safe area.

6. Is San Diego a ghost town on the weekdays?

I've done all the home work I can from here and I do not have the luxury to fly there and check it out first. It would be a move there and make it work thing.

Any help would be someday rewarded with many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
My questions...

The Gaslamp District is the big nightclub scene, but I doubt if any clubs are hiring. If they are, there are lots of locals you'd be in competition with.

Yes and No. It depends on what area you want to live in and how you want to live.

Same as above

4. What are the safe areas to live in?

Same as above.

Same as above.

It depends on what you call a ghost town.

I've done all the home work I can from here and I do not have the luxury to fly there and check it out first. It would be a move there and make it work thing.

If you decide to move here without a job, just make sure that you have a very large savings cushion to hold you over until you hopefully find one. Jobs are hard to find here these days.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
My questions...

The Gaslamp District is the big nightclub scene, but I doubt if any clubs are hiring. If they are, there are lots of locals you'd be in competition with.

Yes and No. It depends on what area you want to live in and how you want to live.

Same as above

4. What are the safe areas to live in?

Same as above.

Same as above.

It depends on what you call a ghost town.

If you decide to move here without a job, just make sure that you have a very large savings cushion to hold you over until you hopefully find one. Jobs are hard to find here these days.

Sound pretty bleak

Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I'm going on my third year of unemployment, and also work part-time. The job situation here isn't good. If you're willing to work several low paid part-time jobs, watch your budget, and live very cheaply (roommate) it can be done.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm going on my third year of unemployment, and also work part-time. The job situation here isn't good. If you're willing to work several low paid part-time jobs, watch your budget, and live very cheaply (roommate) it can be done.

I had no idea it was so bad there.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:51 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
California is dissolving into tiny little pieces as we speak

San Diego has melted away, and all hope is lost.

J/P but seriously, in this city, job opportunities is running thin.

As population continues to rise, it's becoming harder than ever before to find work. Jobs are not popping up all over the place in San Diego, and if they do, it's mostly low paying, not enough to survive in such an high cost state and city.

Downtown is your best bet for night clubs, SD is nowhere near the levels of NYC FAR FROM IT. In NY, you have so many choices of entertainment, endless amounts of night clubs, in SD it's mainly on 5th Ave, the high end ones. I can say that SD has more going on downtown than in most cities, it's not that bad, but it's not great compared to the bigger cities in the US.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
California is dissolving into tiny little pieces as we speak

Downtown is your best bet for night clubs, SD is nowhere near the levels of NYC FAR FROM IT. In NY, you have so many choices of entertainment, endless amounts of night clubs, in SD it's mainly on 5th Ave, the high end ones. I can say that SD has more going on downtown than in most cities, it's not that bad, but it's not great compared to the bigger cities in the US.
I have been told the level of nightlife is pretty low and not to expect much. VIP in SD is about what the non vip gets in NY. I dont know if thats true, however I have read on these forums that the level of service sucks! With my experence, knowledge and skills I should be able to bring any venue to the top not being to pretentious yet retaining the VIP feel. Just got to find that job

Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times
I knew a girl that went over to SD to work in a restaurant in the high end gaslamp district... she made like $100 a week because she said there was no foot traffic. She said it was pretty much a ghost town if there wasn't a convention or a tourism season.

I went there on a Friday night and downtown was pretty packed... everywhere else it was kind of desolate.

SD is more laid back and lower end than NYC (not saying that's a bad thing, I actually would prefer lower end). Its a giant beach town, the best parties will be made by students and not clubs.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy72 View Post
With my experence, knowledge and skills I should be able to bring any venue to the top not being to pretentious yet retaining the VIP feel. Just got to find that job
I think the qualities you mention above would definitely give you an edge in San Diego - someone who ran a club in NYC? That should be an asset.

The nightlife scene in the Gaslamp District is growing rapidly. I used to live and work downtown, and my office building had a nightclub in the basement, and I remember working late sometimes, and being shocked at the number of people lined up for that club. And it wasn't just on weekends. Since then I've spent less time downtown, but I still go occasionally, and it's definitely growing. The Hard Rock Hotel alone has five different clubs - and they definitely do VIP there. And Stingaree seems to cater to a slightly older crowd, and has multiple levels, including a roof-top bar, and they do VIP as well.

One thing, San Diego tends to be into DJs right now, with less live music than in the past - if that impacts your decision?

As for rent, it's very possible to find a place to live for under $900. It will be small, and it won't be in La Jolla, and it may not even be directly downtown - you may have to look in Golden Hill or North Park - but it is possible. Look on Craigslist to get an idea of what is available!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I think the qualities you mention above would definitely give you an edge in San Diego - someone who ran a club in NYC? That should be an asset.

The nightlife scene in the Gaslamp District is growing rapidly. I used to live and work downtown, and my office building had a nightclub in the basement, and I remember working late sometimes, and being shocked at the number of people lined up for that club. And it wasn't just on weekends. Since then I've spent less time downtown, but I still go occasionally, and it's definitely growing. The Hard Rock Hotel alone has five different clubs - and they definitely do VIP there. And Stingaree seems to cater to a slightly older crowd, and has multiple levels, including a roof-top bar, and they do VIP as well.

One thing, San Diego tends to be into DJs right now, with less live music than in the past - if that impacts your decision?

As for rent, it's very possible to find a place to live for under $900. It will be small, and it won't be in La Jolla, and it may not even be directly downtown - you may have to look in Golden Hill or North Park - but it is possible. Look on Craigslist to get an idea of what is available!

bouncethelight& Everyone else...

Thank you for the input. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel by any means. Maybe just improve on it.

Also I would never work for a chain such as Hard Rock. Been there done that and its not a nice company to work for these days. I've been checking on craigslist, backpage and monster and there doesnt seem to be much listed. I had a great contact there once but lost his number a few years back. His email doesnt work either. He was deep into the nightlife and sports scene... LOL maybe he made it big. I just need to make a decision and either take the risk and move there, wow some nightclub or bar owners or stay here and fight a losing battle. I've looked at Miami as well and got the same vibe.

Will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego