Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Hi--Second thought, we are less than 40 miles north of Boston. You're a lot better at geography than I am and how could I have known that someone like you would be on a SD forum!!

Some of the towns here are Ipswich, Essex, Gloucester, Rockport, Manchester-by-the Sea, Newburyport, and Salisbury. The most gorgeous beaches (sand is like powder) are in Gloucester but if you don't live there you have to wait until after 3pm. Crane's Beach in Ipswich is $20/car for anyone. You won't go in the water in May anyway. lol

Just drive up along rte 1A for breathtaking scenery--open sea, marshland, horses, pastureland, little villages, yachts, fish shacks, etc. Gloucester for shops and eating and more breathtaking scenery. Rockport for artsy shops and just a beautiful place to walk, even in May when it can still be chilly. The air is always clean, I think there is zero pollution.

Our "city" is Salem, XX miles to the south. (notice I don't dare to estimate distance anymore).

If you keep going north on either rte 1 or 1A you go right into NH and THEY have Portsmouth which is amazing. Eat, walk, watch the ocean, open air theater, shop in interesting shops, picnic in the park, and much more. NO sales tax. Slightly north of THAT is Kittery Maine=outlet shopping if you're into it

Oh if you are going in May and you are really into ocean, nice, unspoiled ocean, that is--don't miss Plum Island (a nature lover's paradise) -- it gets slightly crowded in summer but May would be perfect. Nearby is Salisbury State Reservation which is much the same, a nature preserve that we humans can go to for ocean swimming and beach combing or bird watching, or just lying in the sand. (There is also a plain Salisbury BEACH which is honky tonk/hot dog stands, junky souvenir shops, crowds, teenagers.)

(Just don't tell anyone about this pristine part of the country, we already have a few MacMansions and condos. Although if they think SD is expensive lol they wouldn't be able to afford it here anyway.) And they'd hate the winters. Also there are no jobs unless you commute to Boston. Simply a terrible place.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for the book I wrote as a reply but you can see there is a lot to love about this place. OH--in May you might want to go to Appleton Farms on Argilla Rd in Ipswich -- maybe the apple blossoms will be in bloom. And on Mother's Day the air is filled with the fragrance of lilacs -- you can just pick a bunch from the side of the road. Enjoy your trip!
I've actually been to Salem before and did the Witch Museum! It's a beautiful area/town. I'll probably be driving thru your area again since I'll be driving from Boston to Portland so I may have to check out the other places you mentioned!.

Also, I was checking out Zillow and looking at the home prices in the towns you mentioned above and I don't see prices are high at all. Looks like most of the houses are selling under the $200-$300 square foot range. My house is going for $525 square feet. Plus I assume you get good schools and alot more house and land to boot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtrails View Post
What is everyone's feeling on the rather strong military presence in SD? Do you notice all the uniformed officers? Do you feel safer?
All of the residents are required to wear fatigues and address each other with a salute in public. Now they're thinking of switching us to the Mao suits, so that will be a bummer.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
All of the residents are required to wear fatigues and address each other with a salute in public. Now they're thinking of switching us to the Mao suits, so that will be a bummer.
Classic. I don't get the feeling we live in a military police state, but then maybe that's just me. Seriously, outside of Oceanside and Coronado, the military presence is pretty much not an issue in San Diego. Although that said, thank God they're here training to protect us all (cue USA, USA chant!)

Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Classic. I don't get the feeling we live in a military police state, but then maybe that's just me. Seriously, outside of Oceanside and Coronado, the military presence is pretty much not an issue in San Diego. Although that said, thank God they're here training to protect us all (cue USA, USA chant!)
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I can't even recall the last time I saw a uniformed person in public. They just seem to blend in more these days, I suppose.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
(cue USA, USA chant!)
annoying

Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
annoying
Unable to get a joke, as usual.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:12 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I can't even recall the last time I saw a uniformed person in public. They just seem to blend in more these days, I suppose.
I see dozens a day. Military mom around the corner runs a daycare for military fams. No offense intended - but you guys are a little bit out of touch from all that, living in the areas you do. Not a lot of active duty folks in Encinitas or a tony neighborhood like Kensington.

Next time you're out and about, take notice of how many Navy DoD stickers you see on the windshield of cars (it's a little blue and gold sticker on the lower passenger's side). If you're paying attention, you'll notice literally hundreds in a parking lot of a Target. Those stickers mean the person either is in the military or has access to the base to perform contracted services.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Don't you all sometimes think that the heavy military in SD makes SD more vulnerable to an attack or do you think we're safer?

Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I see dozens a day. Military mom around the corner runs a daycare for military fams. No offense intended - but you guys are a little bit out of touch from all that, living in the areas you do. Not a lot of active duty folks in Encinitas or a tony neighborhood like Kensington.

Next time you're out and about, take notice of how many Navy DoD stickers you see on the windshield of cars (it's a little blue and gold sticker on the lower passenger's side). If you're paying attention, you'll notice literally hundreds in a parking lot of a Target. Those stickers mean the person either is in the military or has access to the base to perform contracted services.
The guy who lives across the street from me is active duty Air Force.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
I've actually been to Salem before and did the Witch Museum! It's a beautiful area/town. I'll probably be driving thru your area again since I'll be driving from Boston to Portland so I may have to check out the other places you mentioned!.

Also, I was checking out Zillow and looking at the home prices in the towns you mentioned above and I don't see prices are high at all. Looks like most of the houses are selling under the $200-$300 square foot range. My house is going for $525 square feet. Plus I assume you get good schools and alot more house and land to boot!
$749900 / 3br - CONTEMPORARY HOME IN LYNNFIELD (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/reb/2189613958.html - broken link) - [SIZE=-1] (LYNNFIELD)[/SIZE] img broker
$524900 / 2br - 50 MT. VERNON ST. (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/reb/2189608514.html - broken link) - [SIZE=-1] (NORTH READING)[/SIZE] img broker
$598877 / 4br - Newly Renovated Manchester 4 Bed (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/reb/2189580087.html - broken link) - [SIZE=-1] (Manchester-By-The-Sea, MA)[/SIZE] pic broker
$430000 / 4br - Colonial Home in Need of a Makeover! FSBO, Check it out! (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/reo/2189567177.html - broken link) - [SIZE=-1] (Newburyport, MA)[/SIZE] pic owner
$149900 / 1br - Condo for Sale in Beverly, MA (1bd 1ba) (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/reb/2189517314.html - broken link) - [SIZE=-1] (Other)[/SIZE] pic img broker
$609000 / 3br - HUGE ranch open concept NEW Sherwood Forest Lynnfield Home for Salem (http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/reb/2189497085.html - broken link) - [SIZE=-1] (Lynn[/SIZE]

I don't know about zillow but these are from Craig's List.
You also have to consider the town and the area. It can sound so good on paper but it could be next to a gas station or on a busy street, poorly insulated. Places to avoid are Lynn, Revere, Chelsea. Beverly is a run down city but it's not on the reject list and you can get bargains. Salem is up and coming so you can get bargains -- it was a really run down old sea faring town and most of the houses are really really old=good around here. The houses are renovated and the downtown is being rehabbed--people are starting to love Salem now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego