Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:34 PM

333 posts, read 701,996 times

Advertisements

btw with rent we could go as high as $4k but would really prefer to stay in the $2500-3500 range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM

at least without knowing the neighborhoods, these places are all at least adequate square footage, decent enough yard, etc. The first one is pretty close to the ideal.

Del Cerro area
SDLookup.com | 6274*Rockhurst*Dr - MLS# 130017283

North Park
SDLookup.com | 1327*33rd*St - MLS# 130009108

North Park remodel candidate
SDLookup.com | 2911*Thorn*St - MLS# 130009902

Bay Park
SDLookup.com | 3817*Zoe*St - MLS# 130012774

Encinitas (guessing this won't last lol)
SDLookup.com | 618*Shanas*Ln - MLS# 130017404

Mt. Helix
SDLookup.com | 4815 Beaumont Dr - MLS# 130014457 - Full Size Pictures
SDLookup.com | 9631*Sierra*Vista*Ave - MLS# 120025770

tremendous amount of house for the money in that Mt. Helix area, too bad about the walkability.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:59 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMagurt View Post
Will be staying at the Dolphin Motel on Point Loma, btw. I about fell out of my chair when the guy who answered the phone quoted rates and it gets great reviews on the travel sites. Seems too good to be true?
I'm hoping this isn't one of those motels where hookers take their Johns......LOL Doesn't look great from the street, if you ask me.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Quote:
at least without knowing the neighborhoods, these places are all at least adequate square footage, decent enough yard, etc. The first one is pretty close to the ideal.

Del Cerro area
SDLookup.com | 6274*Rockhurst*Dr - MLS# 130017283

North Park
SDLookup.com | 1327*33rd*St - MLS# 130009108

North Park remodel candidate
SDLookup.com | 2911*Thorn*St - MLS# 130009902

Bay Park
SDLookup.com | 3817*Zoe*St - MLS# 130012774

Encinitas (guessing this won't last lol)
SDLookup.com | 618*Shanas*Ln - MLS# 130017404

Mt. Helix
SDLookup.com | 4815 Beaumont Dr - MLS# 130014457 - Full Size Pictures
SDLookup.com | 9631*Sierra*Vista*Ave - MLS# 120025770

tremendous amount of house for the money in that Mt. Helix area, too bad about the walkability.
I like that Del Cerro house (funky design, though). Did you looking into North Pacific Beach and Bird Rock? Not sure they fall within your budget, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I'm hoping this isn't one of those motels where hookers take their Johns......LOL Doesn't look great from the street, if you ask me.
Yeah it's...uhh...nondescript to put it nicely? It gets rave reviews from well traveled folks, apparently is super clean, good beds albeit in smaller rooms and small showers. So far we've stayed in SD at Pacific Terrace, the Omni and then a week at a house we rented two blocks from Moonlight beach in Encinitas. this is not our usual type of accommodation but sure seems worth a shot. We'll barely be in the room anyway, free parking, free breakfast, lol. Definitely a unique hotel if it's as good as advertised. The prices are right out of the 1980s.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I like that Del Cerro house (funky design, though). Did you looking into North Pacific Beach and Bird Rock? Not sure they fall within your budget, though.
Bird Rock is one of our favorite areas as is Point Loma but for the size of house and yard we need, yeah we'd be blowing out the budget to get something that needs a ton of work. I think that's in the cards another 3-5 years down the road. We are not going to overextend ourselves buying too much house right now.

I also have to be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the climate right at the coast which, combined with a little more house for the money, makes some of the areas inland very attractive. The Del Cerro, Encinitas and La Mesa homes are the type we are naturally drawn to. at this point.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times
Quote:
Yeah it's...uhh...nondescript to put it nicely? It gets rave reviews from well traveled folks, apparently is super clean, good beds albeit in smaller rooms and small showers. So far we've stayed in SD at Pacific Terrace, the Omni and then a week at a house we rented two blocks from Moonlight beach in Encinitas. this is not our usual type of accommodation but sure seems worth a shot. We'll barely be in the room anyway, free parking, free breakfast, lol. Definitely a unique hotel if it's as good as advertised. The prices are right out of the 1980s.
It's tiny and super-basic, but clean and comfy.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
It's tiny and super-basic, but clean and comfy.
That's great, thanks Jenkay. Pretty much fits the bill. We might have to make several trips out there in the near future, hopefully it works for us. We've stayed in worse and it's a good way to save some money.

Personally i'd rather stay in a clean, basic room like this than have to gamble with bedbugs on priceline/hotwire, or pay three times as much to sleep.

we did find some nice, inexpensive private options (vrbo) if it's not for us.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,529,678 times
Quote:
I also have to be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the climate right at the coast which, combined with a little more house for the money, makes some of the areas inland very attractive. The Del Cerro, Encinitas and La Mesa homes are the type we are naturally drawn to. at this point.
Del Cerro and La Mesa do sound like good fits for your needs. Maybe San Carlos too:
SDLookup.com | 7333*Rondel*Ct - MLS# 130017668

Are you pre-qualified with a mortgage lender? For a seller to seriously consider your offer, you'll need to show you have financial capacity in writing.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Del Cerro and La Mesa do sound like good fits for your needs. Maybe San Carlos too:
SDLookup.com | 7333*Rondel*Ct - MLS# 130017668

Are you pre-qualified with a mortgage lender? For a seller to seriously consider your offer, you'll need to show you have financial capacity in writing.
No offense but this isn't our first rodeo. Not that it matters much but we can easily qualify for far more than the price range we've budgeted for ourselves, have plenty down, zero debt, pristine credit, have owned for years, etc. We're probably in better shape than 90% of those in this price range who aren't buying with just cash. We didn't take it in the pants over the last few years because unlike everybody else, we went super conservative with the last purchase. Our debt to income ratio will be fairly low on this one as well. Pre-qualification is a formality not an obstacle and it isn't time yet.

btw, again, we are in no hurry to buy right now. I find it hard to believe we can't find any suitable rental in our price range that will allow three pets with additional deposits and/or "pet rents". If that proves to be the case, then we'll get serious about buying right away. This visit in June is about spending time in all the neighborhoods we haven't yet seen, if we stumble across a rental we can't pass up we might sign a lease. Won't be putting offers on anything though, it's just too early for that.

Last edited by DirtMagurt; 04-12-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego