Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

A couple things will work in my favor.
I live in Az and it is only 5 hr drive. And I am a professional nanny...not the fanciest job, but I can usually find work in affluent areas. (Encinitas)
I wish I could find someone to share the ride with me, and perhaps my dream to move there. That would awesome to split expenses and such.
Anyhow, I am at the genisis of this journey. I intend to enjoy the ride... untill I get there.
Peace
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I am sure there are some kind of nanny employment services out there right? I am sure they take a cut but in this economy a sure thing is better than just showing up job less. It seems a lot of people are keeping jobs they hate around here, so it creates a major problem for those who would be more than happy to work.

Last edited by Clevelandgal; 07-25-2011 at 06:35 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
You might want to check out the Child Care section of Craigslist to see what you're up against.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chajmdc View Post

Okay, now for a dose of reality because I don't want someone reading my posts on city data and thinking 'I'm going to move because she did it with no problems.'. Not for one second do I not understand how awesome my experience HAS been and how crappy it could HAVE been. So, this is what you need to know about my story: A) We did save up about 6K before moving. We've used this money to get cross country, buy bedroom furniture and live off of it. Most of the time we try to find free things to do (i.e. going to the beach, for a walk, catching a band, going to the park to throw a frisbee). We have gone out for dinner, drinks, and movies here or there, but not as much as we did previous to moving... this is our life until we get a couple of paycheck stashed away. Is it Friday, yet? B) Our cost of living is -very- low. We came out here with motorcycle expenses, a cell phone bill and my student loan. C) We decided to have roommates. For various reasons, including money, we choose to do the room share thing. Not everyone would be willing and/or able to live with strangers, but we really wanted to give ourselves the best possibility at making things work --and our rent is dirt cheap because of it.

Great bit of information and congrats on finding a job so quickly. I think this follow up information you posted is very valuable. Especially the low expenses and the room share thingy.

Most people moving, especially those that are a bit older aren't willing to do a room share type arrangement or might have more overhead or expenses. So people have to be realistic for their individual situation.

Clevelandgal - Congrats on finding a job! Was it in the field you were looking in? So happy for you.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Great bit of information and congrats on finding a job so quickly. I think this follow up information you posted is very valuable. Especially the low expenses and the room share thingy.

Most people moving, especially those that are a bit older aren't willing to do a room share type arrangement or might have more overhead or expenses. So people have to be realistic for their individual situation.

Clevelandgal - Congrats on finding a job! Was it in the field you were looking in? So happy for you.
Thanks so much ER. I am thrilled, my job (I not started yet, lots of background stuff) is as good, ok, honestly better than I expected, although not in my exact field...I have some thoughts on being "over qualified" now. I plan to summarize the experience and post at some point-it took a lot of work,and a ton of stress and self doubt to get here, but hopefully my experience can help others.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM

141 posts, read 286,858 times
Too many people move here. I think that is the problem too many people. The housing is stupid overpriced joke. The eviction court is full of landlords evicting tenents who don' t pay. Jobs are not there and pay dirt. You have all these people living in one house and that is what is causing the problems. Again too many people. Adults over 25 with roomates are not adults. It is beyond my why all these people want to live like hippies to live in SD.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM

I agree about roommates. I know people do what they have to do...but I was financially independent the day I graduated from High School. Parents literally handed me a rent bill, which I paid. I decided to move out shortly after that into a place with a roommate-a good one no less. After a year I concluded I needed to do what was needed to have my own place...working 2 jobs if needed. But that's just me, gotta have my space. When my husband I visited SD in 2006, a family member was living here and his GF was a real estate agent. We of course loved it here. We got to talking and she started telling us how much places cost-ridiculous. Here we are home owning professionals with a fair income for where we were living, and we were saying no way would we ever live here. So she tells us we could get roommates. I think I spit my drink out. I am not judging any one here but we were in our mid-late 30's/early 40's and that was not happening. She said "everybody" did it. never knew we would end up here after that shock. No roomates either!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I agree about roommates. I know people do what they have to do...but I was financially independent the day I graduated from High School. Parents literally handed me a rent bill, which I paid. I decided to move out shortly after that into a place with a roommate-a good one no less. After a year I concluded I needed to do what was needed to have my own place...working 2 jobs if needed. But that's just me, gotta have my space. When my husband I visited SD in 2006, a family member was living here and his GF was a real estate agent. We of course loved it here. We got to talking and she started telling us how much places cost-ridiculous. Here we are home owning professionals with a fair income for where we were living, and we were saying no way would we ever live here. So she tells us we could get roommates. I think I spit my drink out. I am not judging any one here but we were in our mid-late 30's/early 40's and that was not happening. She said "everybody" did it. never knew we would end up here after that shock. No roomates either!
LOL
Heard the same crap back then my wife and I were look at places. We do fairly well by most measurable standards. But those price back then and even some now were laughable. That whole "everybody does it" thing? We know how well that went.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-25-2011 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 09:43 PM

2006 or not, Obviously, I also got over that I need to own the place I live in.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
2006 or not, Obviously, I also got over that I need to own the place I live in.
Owning is weird. We bought about 6 months ago. Lots of pros and cons to owning discounting the longterm financial benefits.

We both knew we would be here for while so we toe dipped. No way in hell was I paying half a million or more for marginally "better".
Owning in SD requires being here for a while and seeing the long term outlook in the pros and cons as well as your own situation. Obviously from our decision we looked at the long term and saw more advantages than not as well as not straying too far from our financial goals.
When we realized what we liked was a short drive away, that was fine for us. We are pretty low maintenance. Like very nice things, but low maintenance ont he whole. Getting quality doesnt necessarily always come with the hefty price tag.

However renting in SD is amazing. I would have never lived downtown for the time I did had I not rented. So much flexibility in SD to live in some great areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego