Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM

63 posts, read 141,253 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My prospective employer flies me to San Diego next week. I'll be flying over on Monday, have the afternoon for myself. The interview begins Tuesday morning and I'll fly back that afternoon.

I'll try my best to prepare for the interview but I'll take Monday afternoon off to get to know San Diego. I'll stay at Embassy Suite on La Jolla Village Dr. Would someone please suggest where I should visit that afternoon?

I'll keep everyone posted on how the interview goes. I appreciate it if someone wish me luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,912,250 times
It would be helpful to know what kinds of things you are "in to". For instance, would you want to see some beaches, or do the zoo/Sea World thing, or is history more to your liking? There's so much to see and do, your one afternoon should really meet your interests.
So let us know, and good luck with the job!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

233 posts, read 883,697 times
Since you are going to be so close to LaJolla Cove you should probably go down there. Your hotel is across from an outdoor mall and you are 15-20 minutes from downtown and many other attractions. Let us know what you like and where you are coming from so we will know what would scream "San Diego" at you. Best of luck on your interview. Make sure to ask questions of the interviewer. That was my mistake when I first moved out here. They will ask you what you liked about the job you are leaving and what you didn't like. They will talk about the "culture" of the office. Have a list of questions ready. You can find them on-line by googling questions to ask the interviewer.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Thank you for your kind wishes, PollyGlot and GratefulDeb!!! You guys are amazing!

I'm from Houston, TX and I love all things nature: the beach, the mountain, the sunset, ect. If possible, I would like to check out the UTC neighborhood a bit because I plan on renting a room there when I get the job. However, this could wait because I only have one afternoon. I arrive around noon and plan on being out and about until 7-8pm (very early interview next morning)!

Once again, thanks guys! Cannot wait to be a neighbor to such amazing people like many members of this forum!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,828,961 times
I agree with GratefulDeb. A nice walk along the bluffs around La Jolla Cove and window shopping down Prospect Ave. with a nice lunch or dinner thrown in will make you want to take the job in San Diego for sure!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,912,250 times
OK, so if you're into nature, you should d the "beach thing". As Deb suggested, spend time at La Jolla Cove. La Jolla Shores is nice as well, and strolling through the "village" of La Jolla too.
You will be close to UTC - I assume you'll be renting a car - so you can drive around there (it's mainly office buildings, condos, and shopping) fairly easily and grab some dinner in the UTC shopping center itself or Costa Verde across Genesee ave.
I'm sure others will have more suggestions!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM

20 posts, read 41,512 times
Hey SanDiegoHopeful, this is kind of off topic, but could you tell me how you managed to get a job interview in San Diego when you live in Houston? I've been trying for months to get an interview and it seems that no one will even consider someone from out of state. I am just wondering if you got transferred there or just applied for jobs and managed to get an interview all on your own. Any advice would be appreciated. Good luck with everything and enjoy your time in San Diego! Make sure you go to Pacific Beach and don't miss the La Jolla Cove (beautiful!).

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM

Hi guys,

Just wanna update you all on my interview. I had a rather long interview, interviewing with 11 people in 3 separate group interviews and talking to a lot more people. They are all super nice. I like them and I think they like me too. At the end of the interview, they extended me the offer on the spot!!! They told me that it's the first time they ever did that because all the people I interviewed with want me there. I feel so honored!!!

Unfortunately, the offer is less than the one I got in Houston. And I have not taken into consideration of the high cost of living there (I just consider the salary + employer contribution + CA tax). This is a big institution so there is less room for negotiation. I'm really torn here!!! But I think if I cannot negotiate to increase the SD offer to equal the Houston one, I'm gonna stay in Houston.

Any insight, guys?

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbabie View Post
Hey SanDiegoHopeful, this is kind of off topic, but could you tell me how you managed to get a job interview in San Diego when you live in Houston? I've been trying for months to get an interview and it seems that no one will even consider someone from out of state. I am just wondering if you got transferred there or just applied for jobs and managed to get an interview all on your own. Any advice would be appreciated. Good luck with everything and enjoy your time in San Diego! Make sure you go to Pacific Beach and don't miss the La Jolla Cove (beautiful!).
Hi beachbabie,

I applied for the job posting there. However, I am lucky that I get my training from a very prestigious medical institution in Houston. The boss over there contacted my institution and noticed me. He is very instrumental in helping me score the interview and eventually get the job offer. I'm very grateful of him.

I wish you the best of luck on your job search, beachbabie! The best advice I can give you is to read the "My Experience after the Leap of Faith Move to San Diego (Long Post)". The author mentioned many practical advice such as getting a San Diego P.O Box and phone number and ect.

Once again, best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: