Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times

Advertisements

Why is it That people who live north of I8 think that they are better than people south of I8?

I was at a basketball game recently and had to listen to these people go on & on about how superior the schools and high school sports teams were.

Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
where would you rather live?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:19 PM

176 posts, read 635,033 times
I honestly think both sides are the worst.

West of the 8 is best of the 8.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Why is it That people who live north of I8 think that they are better than people south of I8?

I was at a basketball game recently and had to listen to these people go on & on about how superior the schools and high school sports teams were.

Discuss...
Borrowed from esmith143 post a few years ago:

California School Performance Maps

enough said

Old 01-16-2011, 05:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
"North of 8" and "South of 8" have for many years been euphemisms for "upscale" and "ghetto", ESPECIALLY when it comes to schools.
But it's a ridiculous way to look at things, because there are many really nice areas "south of 8", and some crappy neighborhoods "north of 8".
You won't ever see people abandon this "line of demarcation", though. It's entrenched...
What a shame!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM

97 posts, read 579,030 times
Lots of status consciousness down there. San Diego people keep busy worrying about everybody else. North/south of 8, east/west of 5, northcounty/southcounty, everybody north of SD County that is somehow living in hades because they're not in San Diego. They kind of remind me of Santa Barbara people. Anybody from Goleta will tell anybody that cares that they're from "Santa Barbara" and look down on anybody that DOESN'T live there being second class humanoids. Must be a California thing. There's the OC/IE rivalry, the NoCal/SoCal rivalry, the East Bay/Penninsula rivalry, the Napa Valley/Sonoma County rivalry, Central Valley/Coast rivalry, etc, etc, etc.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
Lots of status consciousness down there. San Diego people keep busy worrying about everybody else. North/south of 8, east/west of 5, northcounty/southcounty, everybody north of SD County that is somehow living in hades because they're not in San Diego. They kind of remind me of Santa Barbara people. Anybody from Goleta will tell anybody that cares that they're from "Santa Barbara" and look down on anybody that DOESN'T live there being second class humanoids. Must be a California thing. There's the OC/IE rivalry, the NoCal/SoCal rivalry, the East Bay/Penninsula rivalry, the Napa Valley/Sonoma County rivalry, Central Valley/Coast rivalry, etc, etc, etc.
OIY! I agree, such a waste of breath; it makes my brain Numb!!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Who cares, it's all San Diego and I love it.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 PM

63 posts, read 173,118 times
So silly! There are awesome neighborhoods in all parts of SD county.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 AM

97 posts, read 579,030 times
Yep, I agree that there are great neighborhoods in SD county. Recently found an amazing jewel for example in a retiree community east of Valley Center built around huge boulders and a 9 hole golf course in the middle. Can't remember the name of it but it's unbelieveable. Anybody over 55 thinking of a move (and insistant on San Diego County) should check it out on GoogleEarth.

For me though, I can't help thinking that the glory of San Diego County, at least the coastal region lies in the past. It's very overbuilt, traffic clogged and as crowded as the much hated Orange County now. I had a chance to move down there when I retired and my wife and I both agreed that we weren't really gaining much from Long Beach by going down there. We opted for the central coast where growth is restrained, towns up there are still rural and separated from each other by miles of undeveloped land. Other than the weather being a little cooler, it's the San Diego up there that San Diego used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego