Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM

500 posts, read 841,098 times

Advertisements

My real estate agent keeps telling me to call the police department about this, but I dunno... would I just call them and ask this? Doubt they're gonna tell me anything. I can't give them every single property address I mean.
I heard central area is high crime... and it gets better and better as you go away from "central area". Not sure what to consider a "central area" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
San Diego police map their data at: San Diego Regional Crime MAPS

You can get the maps for Encinitas there by following the instructions at the site.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
There are very few areas of town where you could reasonably worry. For instance, the area around San Dieguito Academy High School (along Santa Fe, east of the 5 freeway) is sort of sketchy. In the big picture, Encinitas is very safe. If you wanted, you could drop by the Sheriff's Department substation in Encinitas (on El Camino Real at Via Molena. They can tell you whatever you want to know about areas of town, etc.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I live in Encinitas and it is a safe place to live. I would say there is probably crime in the beach area (burglaries and such) and there are pockets around Santa Fe (Little Mexico) that might generate some crime, I don't know what the stats are. I've lived in Encinitas since 1988 and have been burglarized once and attempted burglary once (two different locations), other than that not any problems at all. There is a Sheriff's station right on El Camino in the heart of new Encinitas so there are always sheriff's coming in and out around that area. I can't imagine any area of Encinitas being "high crime", but then I lived in NYC so I know what high crime really means. If you have certain properties in mind, I would drive by at different times of the day and night and weekends so see what is happening there, but I would do that no matter where I lived. Street noise can be more of a problem than crime.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
The area around San Dieguito is big time sketchy, especially right around Santa Fe and Gardena Rd...there are also some areas of Leucadia that are bad. I remember seeing a fight between two undocumented workers at night, I only noticed it because of all the cops around. When I walked by, I remember it smelled very irony and seeing a dude on the ground with a knife wound from his shoulder all the way to his solar plexus. Blood was everywhere. Of course it wasn't anywhere on the news because they were illegals.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM

500 posts, read 841,098 times
Thank you for all this info... it's very helpful. I didn't realize I could drop by sheriff's substation and receive information on areas that are unsafe (calling the police department wasn't helpful).

I understand what you're saying about feeling safe in Escondido... having a couple of burglaries doesn't sound safe though (and I know what you mean by big crime in NYC, having lived in the City and boroughs, including Brooklyn and Bronx :X) They did crack down on crime a lot, though (Bloomberg. He made subway pretty safe to ride, even at night--at least in was back 6 years ago).

And yes, driving around the streets, especially in the dark, is the best indicator... just don't have the time for another trip right now (would be driving from North LA--3 hours one way pretty much) and trying to write some areas off not to waste time on listings in those areas.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
Thank you for all this info... it's very helpful. I didn't realize I could drop by sheriff's substation and receive information on areas that are unsafe (calling the police department wasn't helpful).

I understand what you're saying about feeling safe in Escondido... having a couple of burglaries doesn't sound safe though (and I know what you mean by big crime in NYC, having lived in the City and boroughs, including Brooklyn and Bronx :X) They did crack down on crime a lot, though (Bloomberg. He made subway pretty safe to ride, even at night--at least in was back 6 years ago).

And yes, driving around the streets, especially in the dark, is the best indicator... just don't have the time for another trip right now (would be driving from North LA--3 hours one way pretty much) and trying to write some areas off not to waste time on listings in those areas.
Calling the police department wouldn't do any good, because they don't cover Encinitas. The Sheriff's department does.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,399 times
not really. san diego county in general is pretty safe. and encinitas is way safer than most places in sd. touristy areas always attract property crime, so of course the beach areas will have a higher rate. but its not something one should really be concerned about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego