Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 AM

59 posts, read 211,473 times

Advertisements

Trying to find out the best neighborhoods for families with little kids. Middle class, geeky, artsy. Any ideas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,826,910 times
Have you checked out Encinitas? Not sure if it's in your price range or if it makes sense for you in terms of where you work or your commute, but it's a great family-oriented area (some would say it's too family friendly, but if you're looking for great schools, lots of parks, and activities geared towards kids, it's hard to beat).

Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,131,349 times
Encinitas, Ocean Beach would be tops on my list. I think they have what you are looking for.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,130,811 times
Where will you be working?

Old 01-30-2011, 02:24 PM

We've never been to San Diego, but are currently miserable in Columbus Ohio and we're looking into every option at this point. San Diego-- sunny, and not totally insane like LA, sounds like it'd be nice. We need an upgrade, cuz this sucks. I have no idea where the job will be, or if we'll be able to find one there. Just wanted to get some idea of where to look at rentals to see if we can pull it off financially if we do find a job. Thanks for your help!!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,130,811 times
If you move here without a job, make sure that you have a very substantial savings to hold you over.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,826,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by original_bookgirl View Post
We've never been to San Diego, but are currently miserable in Columbus Ohio and we're looking into every option at this point. San Diego-- sunny, and not totally insane like LA, sounds like it'd be nice. We need an upgrade, cuz this sucks. I have no idea where the job will be, or if we'll be able to find one there. Just wanted to get some idea of where to look at rentals to see if we can pull it off financially if we do find a job. Thanks for your help!!
Well, for what it's worth, my sister in law lives just outside Columbus (Powell) and comes to visit us in Encinitas with her four kids every chance she gets!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,350,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you move here without a job, make sure that you have a very substantial savings to hold you over.
I totally agree with this statement. Just make sure you have plenty of savings built up if you are coming to San Diego with no job and no real plan.

The job market in general in California is pretty horrible. California has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. It's much higher than what the US government is claiming when you count under-employment and all the people that gave up looking for a job.

San Diego's has even less jobs than other cities in California so make sure you have a good plan and as moved mentioned..... lots of savings.

Columbus I can imagine is miserable. I'd never want to live there. But there is a big difference between there and San Diego and is reflected in the cost of houses. Much more demand in San Diego vs. Columbus, Ohio.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Yeah, only a total doofus would move anywhere right without a job. No way in hell would we do that.
Just checking things out, because Columbus SUCKS and we don't want to stay here forever. It isn't looking good for anything soon. Maybe I'll plan on taking some trips out of here before I go bananas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM

490 posts, read 1,550,137 times
You would enjoy areas around Balboa Park. . .North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, (North of Adams Ave.), Tierrasanta, Pacific Beach, (North of Garnet) , South Park, Hillcrest - - Quite a bit of young, hip families in those areas And also as mentioned Encinitas, and Scripps Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego