Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times

Advertisements

We're looking to possibly jump ship from T-Mobile at the end of our contract. I've had no issues with T-Mobile (from either a reception or a customer service standpoint), but Sprint looks like a much better deal overall. Just wondering if Sprint's reception is any good where I live/work (Scripps Ranch commuting to CMR). I know there are maps showing how good their reception is, hypothetically, but I feel personal accounts should factor in as well.

Also, if anyone has Sprint and spends time out on the back areas of SD County (Palomar, Borrego Springs, Ramona, Julian, etc), I'd be curious how the reception is there as well since I visit these areas quite frequently.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 08:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
If your contract is running out and you like T-Mo, I would advise in talking to a customer service rep about the competing plan from Sprint. The likelihood of them beating the price or offsetting the cost somehow should be favorable to you.

Sprint will be fine throughout that short commute from Scripps to CMR. You will have better success with Sprint or Verizon in the unincorporated areas of the county.

FYI: When phones are being tested locally out in the field for antenna strength, Ramona is used as the marginal drive testing area (eg. this area has spotty reception throughout.) This should tell you something about coverage. Its not better with one carrier or another. When testing phones these areas are used to see how well the testing phone holds up against a phone currently in the stores for comparison.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I've got sprint and it's just as good as any in the back woods. That being said, it's more about the phone at some point than the carrier. My buddy has a b-berry and he gets better reception than my droid standing next to each other on Palomar or laguna.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've got sprint and it's just as good as any in the back woods. That being said, it's more about the phone at some point than the carrier. My buddy has a b-berry and he gets better reception than my droid standing next to each other on Palomar or laguna.
This is very true. BlackBerry has been the gold standard for reception next to Motorola on any network. Thus the SAR levels are a tad higher for BB's, but as a business centric devices, they really cater to that audience.

As a tip, if you are ever experiencing weak signals during a call, try to place your hand higher towards to the top of the phone rather than the middle or botton. The human body carries enough radiation to cause the slightest disruption when reception is right on the cusp of cutting out.

THe RF module is placed near the mic at the bottom. This used to not be the case back in the day (Zakk Morris phones and old Nokia phones with the external nub) and became an integral design change after screens started getting larger, colorful and drawing more power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego