Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM

63 posts, read 141,248 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I live at the corner between Governor and Genesee and I wanna take a drive along the coast to Orange County tomorrow morning. I drove up there last Sunday but my "stubborn" GPS wouldn't let me take the coast. I look at google map and see a bunch of name for the highway near the coast. So when some of you says "coaster", you mean these, right? And more importantly, can you give me tip on how to drive up to OC along the coast? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,827,935 times
The Coast Highway changes names as it heads north through the North County (Camino del Mar, South Coast Highway, Carlsbad Boulevard), but it's the same road. You can easily drive from La Jolla to Oceanside, but then it gets tricky at Camp Pendleton. You can't drive through Camp Pendleton, so you have to jump on the 5 freeway at Oceanside then you can get back on the coast highway in San Clemente or at Dana Point to head into OC through Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, etc.
Oh, and "the Coaster" is a commuter train that runs from Oceanside to downtown San Diego. It's not a road.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,235,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoHopeful View Post
Hi guys,

I live at the corner between Governor and Genesee and I wanna take a drive along the coast to Orange County tomorrow morning. I drove up there last Sunday but my "stubborn" GPS wouldn't let me take the coast. I look at google map and see a bunch of name for the highway near the coast. So when some of you says "coaster", you mean these, right? And more importantly, can you give me tip on how to drive up to OC along the coast? Thanks!
The Coaster is the train that goes from Downtown San Diego to Oceanside. The Sprinter is the East West train from Escondido to Oceanside.

An easy way to get to the coastal drive you are looking for is to go north Genessee> West on La Jolla Village Dr> Take this road for a while, you will pass UCSD and the Glider Port entrance. The road will split so stay to the left and continue up down N Torrey Pines Road. Keep driving on this road and it will take you all along a vista (Torrey Pines) down into Del Mar, Solana, Encinitas etc. You will see the physical road will change names but once you hit Solana it technically becomes the 101.

Your adventure up to OC along the coast will come to an end around Oceanside and you will have to get on the 5. Camp Pendleton comes right after Oceanside and the only way up to OC is on the 5 for about 10-15 miles.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 02-02-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 02:51 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,241,062 times
Wait til Saturday, it's going back up to the high 70s!

I love OC! Laguna, Newport, and Huntington Beach are my favorites! Heisler Park in Laguna is stunning!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Heisler Park:

Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,827,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Wait til Saturday, it's going back up to the high 70s!

I love OC! Laguna, Newport, and Huntington Beach are my favorites! Heisler Park in Laguna is stunning!
If only you could find a parking spot in Laguna!!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Never had an issue and I've been there many times! I bring all my visitors there and they all love it. Now parking in Huntington is always another story!

Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM

223 posts, read 1,169,044 times
Just a clarification on route numbers in San Diego County. The old coastal route used to be 101 until the 60s or 70s when the 5 was finished. Several coastal communities like Del Mar have Historic 101 markers but the signage isn't very consistent between Torrey Pines and Oceanside. Highway 1 terminates in Dana Point and never makes it down to SD County. Despite the local variations in names, it's probably best just to call the road Coast Highway.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM

63 posts, read 141,248 times
Hi guys,

Thank you all for your help! I appreciate it. I'm heading out and I'll let you know how many times I make the wrong turns when I get back

Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,506,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Parking is not that bad, just bring a lot of quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego