Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:40 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times

Advertisements

I have 2-mos left in SD & wanted to visit as many places as I can since I may not return... boo! I now have a car & can drive to Santa Barbara (it would be a Fri-Mon visit), but was wondering if anyone ever took Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner) from SD to SB & would recommend it?

I'd like to take the train as long as the station is walking distance to hotels & beaches... it will be more restful & I really don't plan on doing more than hanging out at the beach, walking for local coffee a few times/day & picking up meals at local restaurants or a market. It's only 5-hrs & $51 for a biz class ticket, $17 less for a standard seat. Since downtown SD hotels charge $20-30/night parking, I'm guessing many SB hotels do, as well.

I'm unsure how large SB is, so it's a bit hard for me to judge if it has a walkable area near the beach & train station. Can anyone who's visited lately give me an idea if you'd visit again without a car? Also, should anyone have a don't miss restaurant or a hotel they prefer, I'm all ears. I'll be going sometime this month & would like to keep hotel costs below $100/night, if possible.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I have 2-mos left in SD & wanted to visit as many places as I can since I may not return... boo! I now have a car & can drive to Santa Barbara (it would be a Fri-Mon visit), but was wondering if anyone ever took Amtrak (Pacific Surfliner) from SD to SB & would recommend it?

I'd like to take the train as long as the station is walking distance to hotels & beaches... it will be more restful & I really don't plan on doing more than hanging out at the beach, walking for local coffee a few times/day & picking up meals at local restaurants or a market. It's only 5-hrs & $51 for a biz class ticket, $17 less for a standard seat. Since downtown SD hotels charge $20-30/night parking, I'm guessing many SB hotels do, as well.

I'm unsure how large SB is, so it's a bit hard for me to judge if it has a walkable area near the beach & train station. Can anyone who's visited lately give me an idea if you'd visit again without a car? Also, should anyone have a don't miss restaurant or a hotel they prefer, I'm all ears. I'll be going sometime this month & would like to keep hotel costs below $100/night, if possible.

Thanks very much!
The train is a great way to travel! I have friends in SLO and I always elect to take the train up there instead of driving if I can help it. It takes a smidge longer than the drive *without* traffic but if you hit traffic in LA the train is actually faster, and you can kick back and have a glass of wine and read a book instead of staring at brake lights in front of you

I can't speak to how close the train station is to everything in SB, though.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times
I've never ridden on the Amtrak California route.

A few years ago I called them about using it to commute to San Jose from SD. They (Amtrak) warned me that it would take a long time and is not as pleasant as it seems. It is not a coastal route except in a few places. A lot of time is spent in industrial areas.

People I know use it for getting between LA/Irvine/SD. That is a pleasant route with a reasonable fare that you can read a book and drink wine.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:09 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Google Maps shows that the Amtrak station in Santa Barbara is about 1/3 of a mile from Stearns Wharf.

You can look at this page: Santa Barbara Beach Guide and use Google Maps to find the distance to the beaches they list.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I took the Amtrak from Solana Beach to SB quite a few years ago. I took 5 hours one way because there are alot of stops. If you buy 1st class, the seats are nicer and they have coffee, etc. available as I recall. However, you'd have to offset the time spent on the train vs the drive plus you would have the advantage of having your car there so you could freely explore the area. The train station is basically right in the DT area and there are restaurants and shopping there. But we had someone to drive us around and I got to see alot more that way.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,260 times
Just a heads up there is also the Metrolink from Oceanside that will have a station in SB someday:

Interactive Map

Old 02-07-2011, 05:08 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
I've never ridden on the Amtrak California route.

A few years ago I called them about using it to commute to San Jose from SD. They (Amtrak) warned me that it would take a long time and is not as pleasant as it seems. It is not a coastal route except in a few places. A lot of time is spent in industrial areas.

People I know use it for getting between LA/Irvine/SD. That is a pleasant route with a reasonable fare that you can read a book and drink wine.
I just did that trip a couple of months ago. It takes about 12 hours, as opposed to 9 driving. It's actually quite pleasant. It's coastal from O'side to SLO, and that part is amazing. After that it goes through some beautiful SoCal country- it's like riding through a Steinbeck novel with rolling grassy hillsides and the occasional town. One section you pass through is dotted with those crazy mantis-looking oil rigs, not exactly pretty but kind of a cool and surreal and post-apocalyptic landscape that's in harsh contrast with the bucolic vistas you see most of the way. The seats are *very* comfortable, but I spent most of my time in the observation car sipping wine and reading, and chatting with other passengers. There's not a lot of industrial areas except through LA and maybe a couple of other short stretches, and even those can be kind of cool to watch from a window high up as you pass through.

The "rails and trails" volunteer docents ride along in the observation car for a few hours of the trip and narrate the landscape for you, it's pretty awesome.

The only thing lacking is the food offering- the dining car is mediocre at best, but you can bring along snacks for the trip if you like. (on the way back down I packed meats, cheeses, bread, fruit and had quite a spread! even shared it with a few other people riding in my car who were pretty stoked)

I met some neat people and had a great time. I think it was *totally* worth a couple of extra hours traveling to have the stress of driving completely absent- it really gives you a chance to enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
[quote=Jenkay;17769727]I just did that trip a couple of months ago. It takes about 12 hours, as opposed to 9 driving. [quote]

It takes about 6 hours, versus 4 driving, from San Diego. Were the times you posted meant to be round trip?

It is, indeed, a very nice ride. And in Santa Barbara, it's very easy to get from the station to State Street (shopping, restaurants), or to the Mission (not to be missed), or the beach (very close).

Old 02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
I think the 12/9 hours was for SD to San Jose. SD to Santa Barbara sounds more like 6/4 hours

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I think the 12/9 hours was for SD to San Jose. SD to Santa Barbara sounds more like 6/4 hours
You're right - I missed the "San Jose" part...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego