Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 29,384 times

Advertisements

I draw disability but I work part time during home health aide work and I wanted to know how much do home health aides make in California since the cost of living is higher there? I live in Dallas, Texas and I am looking to move to California on my disability and working part time. I am looking at Orange County or San Diego. It would help if someone could tell me the nice areas that have low income housing or section 8. I am doing some research before I decide to move out that way. I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas but I just love the beaches. I came for a visit and decided I wouldn't mind living in California. All of my family resides in Dallas and I am the only one who would like to do something different. My hourly pay in Dallas for home health aide is 7.55 per hour by the way. That bit helps me out a whole lot. I work 22 hours per week and I work 8am til 1230pm in the afternoon. Please tell me I can make this happen! I get tired of people saying you have to make a lot of money to be out in California. As long as I make enough to get by on and be comfortable I will be okay. I also need to be near public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
You can afford to live here as long as you rent a room in a ghetto apartment for 600/mo and basically live in squalor. If that's appealing to you, c'mon down. Oh and it take an hour+ to get to the beach on the bus.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM

so would I be better off in Orange County? What about section 8 apartments in the San Diego area? I want to live in a area that's nice and comfortable. What you mean when you say ghetto? I think ghetto in terms of loud music, gangs, drug activity, etc. That's not what I want.

Last edited by ajohnsonyvette; 02-08-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonyvette View Post
so would I be better off in Orange County? What about section 8 apartments in the San Diego area? I want to live in a area that's nice and comfortable. What you mean when you say ghetto? I think ghetto in terms of loud music, gangs, drug activity, etc. That's not what I want.
Don't move to Southern California - you can't afford it.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM

I can't afford Dallas, Texas either but I get by on what I need!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM

127 posts, read 424,071 times
With that budget you may want to think more about the Atlantic coast, if coastal is what you're going for. You should check out the southeast regions of the country, such as areas of north and south Carolina. Smaller cities in Tennessee and Georgia, would also have much lower costs of living and you can get a two bedroom, one bath house in a decent area for about $600 - 650 a month. Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas have even lower costs of living but (no offense) it's Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas.

I'm originally from Nashville, TN and it is a great place to live! We would have moved back there for my residency but we were given the oppurtunity to check out San Diego for a year, with a paid residency...so we're taking the adventurous option.

Just an opinion. I agree with the above posts, you will not be able to afford CA.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:50 PM

It sounds like to me that California is especially for the rich. It seems as though they discriminate against the less fortunate. I don't have a lot of money but I like nice things too.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM

127 posts, read 424,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnsonyvette View Post
It sounds like to me that California is especially for the rich. It seems as though they discriminate against the less fortunate. I don't have a lot of money but I like nice things too.

California has always been known to have a higher cost of living. There are many other beautiful coastal areas, that are doable on your budget (as you described here).

You can always live further inland in California, or to other areas of the state, but even further inland the cost of living will be high than you are use to. It's not personal, it's just the reality.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
As a home health aid, you'd have to work about 10 home health jobs to survive here. It pays just above minimum wage.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM

AGAIN!!!!! I was not looking to buy a mega house or upscale apartment. I was looking to go to an area that has section 8 that would be in my income range. I draw disability and I work part time. I don't need Oprah's house! I just need a place to lay my head, food to eat, and a place where I can get from point A to point B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego