Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMassachusettsDude View Post
I know that San Diego is more spread out and usually refers to the whole county. So I can understand that the county as a whole is more expensive but I suppose my question is referring to only Boston proper. And I know that the cost of living would skyrocket for someone that moves from Malden to San Diego. However for someone that is spending close to $2,000 a month on rent for a 1 bed and already has a car payment and all that, is San Diego really more expensive? I understand that if I lived there it wouldn't have that urban-ness that Boston has but I suppose I'm not too concerned about that. Would somebody who moves from Boston proper to San Diego really see much of a change in cost of living? If taxes and such are more expensive wouldn't that just come out in the wash if one is spending $500 less a month in rent?

I think Boston proper is more expensive than SD. Not to say that SD isn't expensive, it is a very expensive area of the USA. Seems like a number of the coastal states in this country are. Even Malden to SD can be less expensive. One would probably have better options, for buying a home or renting an apt in SD. One will not be living on the 2nd floor of someone's triple decker in SD. Paying a high price in rent to fund the owners property taxes. The type of apt will be much more modern in SD, without the ridiculous high heating bills. So I guess its how one see's expensive. To me after living in SD for 9 years overall I found it cheaper there, than Eastern Mass let alone Boston proper. There are long commutes here in the terrible winter, and again the very high heating bills for a number of months of the year. The home maintenance is worse here, because so many homes are so old. Boston has always been a rip off to rent an apt, and has gotten so much worse thru the years.

I think you will find it similar and most likely cheaper in SD, based on your experiences with COL in Boston Proper. After the cost of housing in SD is figured in, overall everyday life will seem less expensive there.

You will save on repair bills to your car, because the roads are in better shape. I hit another huge pot hole again this week on 95, and it the threw the alignment out again on my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I am making it work here in Carlsbad but it would not be long term for me as a single earner unless something changed with my income, and my income is pretty darn good for a single person.

I haven't thought too far ahead yet if I'd prefer to live in Escondido over other places in the US with a cheaper cost of living (or going back home) but it certainly is something for everyone to consider and research. I live only about 2 miles tops from the beach but even still its annoying to have to drive there (seriously i'd walk if there was a good trail and not so much construction right now) and find parking, etc.

But I get the good weather and its atleast a very short drive...and if I go out drinking a taxi is not that expensive I love the activities that are available here that are not at home ...and all year like paddle boarding. That would be true of Escondido too just a longer drive. And some people prefer the mountain views anyway which are nice.

Cost of living is of course a big factor for most people. I have toyed with thougths of moving somewhere much cheaper as I work from home and could travel more often that way.

I am gonna give it a little more time before I have to really make a decision or consider alternatives. If I were to get married it would probably be less of concern for me (so long as he's not a scrub lol) but on my own it doesn't make a ton of sense to pay so much rent and taxes. That said I might be in the camp that left and hated my life and moved back which is kind of how I ended up here anyway, I lived in Sac for awhile and always wanted to be back in CA. If I were to move to some place else due to cost of living it would have to be a very thorough reasoning/planning/cost benefit analysis

I like the water and year round water related activities and that is hard to find anywhere else. A friend did recently turn me on to Pensacola which has me thinking but still, its very hot there and I was somewhat uncomfortable even in May. But I'd be able to travel more often the question is would I actually travel more, in reality.
I don't know where 'home' is for you. I do know this for me: I moved out of CA, when I retired, because NM was much less expensive. (I've also lived all over The US in my lifetime.) And, as I've said before, on other threads, I'm not miserable here. And, when I move back to Southern CA, I will definitely miss the change of seasons and how drop-dead gorgeous all of NM is (Southern CA weather is SO BORING). BUT -- I'd rather pay the higher taxes JUST to be able to have the beach at daybreak and sunset -- and all year round! Then there are the playhouses and concert halls. And let's not forget Balboa Park. And the close proximity to LA -- which has to be the best place for concerts and plays after NYC. And don't forget all the museums in LA County. The medical care is pretty good, compared to other places.

Yes, I've thought about staying here and visiting Southern CA for 2 weeks, 2-4 times a year. Nope, not possible. I need to be back at home (and back to civilization -- NM is still very much the patriarchal Wild Wild West).

However, I can afford to live there. I won't live rich, but I'll have everything I need, almost everything I want, and still put a good amount of money every month/year into savings and investments. (Well, a good amount to my way of thinking. LOL More than just a few thousand dollars.) And if I couldn't have a savings account and some investments -- I wouldn't move back there.

You have to start thinking of your retirement (if you haven't already). That should be your first determining factor. You should be socking away a good amt of money in a retirement fund. If you need to move out of CA to do that, well, that's certainly something to think about.

[Ya really need to get married. You don't really wanna leave SD, do ya? ]

Old 06-17-2014, 11:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,339,545 times
I am seeing what I can do ..... lol

Fortunately I have some good options with my company so even though I don't save much they kind of force it on me, but with my income I could certainly be doing better for myself in other places. Being married (to the right person) would change things considerably of course. I'm not into roommates!

I just drove through Northern NM. I have been there before but this time it really struck me, so beautiful. But I know what you mean about feeling like you are away from civilization. I was raised outside of Chicago so I have always felt a bit more comfortable closer to big cities though I very much appreciate more rural places. Sometimes it is the culture and people that just don't make it easy for outsiders.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:25 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think Boston proper is more expensive than SD.
True. And the same can be said of NYC and DC. The Apartment Guide has a great interactive map of average rents by Metro areas. I didn't see any surprises, other than the fact that Williston, North Dakota is the most expensive place to rent.....Wow.

What

Old 06-17-2014, 05:31 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times
But if you are buying, I don't think anything in Boston compares to what you get for $20 million dollars in Del Mar. With only 2,883 square feet, that's $6,937 per square foot!! And the kitchen and baths are hideous!

Pricey Ocean Front MCM Home by Jack in the Box Architect - Weekend Getaways - Curbed LA

Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,911,900 times
I never understand why people compare City Living with not living in the city. Yeah if you move to Mira Mesa or El Cajon or Escondido it should be cheaper than living in Boston, but unless that's what you want to do, why even compare?

But since it's moving across the country, it's ok. I mean you could move to Newton and it would be cheaper. Just like somebody could move to Staten Island or parts of NJ to escape the NYC high cost of living. It's a different life. And if that's what you want, by all means go for it. But saying it's cheaper in SD because you'd live in Escondido or El Cajon makes little sense.

And anyplace along the coast from La Jolla up to Carlsbad is going to be very expensive to rent and/or buy. That is if you want something walkable, resembles an urban feel, and is close to the beach.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:23 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I never understand why people compare City Living with not living in the city. Yeah if you move to Mira Mesa or El Cajon or Escondido it should be cheaper than living in Boston, but unless that's what you want to do, why even compare?

But since it's moving across the country, it's ok. I mean you could move to Newton and it would be cheaper. Just like somebody could move to Staten Island or parts of NJ to escape the NYC high cost of living. It's a different life. And if that's what you want, by all means go for it. But saying it's cheaper in SD because you'd live in Escondido or El Cajon makes little sense.

And anyplace along the coast from La Jolla up to Carlsbad is going to be very expensive to rent and/or buy. That is if you want something walkable, resembles an urban feel, and is close to the beach.
I'll never understand why someone would move here and not hit the beach regularly. If you aren't going to the beach you'd be much better off in AZ if you had a similar job. Or much further inland. I spoke to a local who said they've never been to the beach, seen it but never walked on it

Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
True. And the same can be said of NYC and DC. The Apartment Guide has a great interactive map of average rents by Metro areas. I didn't see any surprises, other than the fact that Williston, North Dakota is the most expensive place to rent.....Wow.

What
Must be the supply and demand of housing options in ND due to the oil boom. Williston cannot keep up with the recent rapid population increase. It's probably a good thing that San Diego is not growing that fast. Imagine the insane rent possibilities!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,082,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

What
I was talking to someone who moved from ND a few years ago and she was telling me how expensive rent is there and half of me thought she was just BS'ing, and the other half thought she clearly knew what she was talking about. Apparently she did. Wow.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I was talking to someone who moved from ND a few years ago and she was telling me how expensive rent is there and half of me thought she was just BS'ing, and the other half thought she clearly knew what she was talking about. Apparently she did. Wow.
I've seen advertisements North of 6 figures for some oil type jobs so I guess the locals are cashing in. That's a tough way to make 100 large though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego