Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 10:35 PM

14 posts, read 55,868 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So we are planning on moving to one of these cities in about 6 months. We have a small toddler and I am hoping to get feedback on which would be better for a family. I have also seen posts on here comparing West (of the 5) Encinitas vs. East (of the 5) Encinitas, what exactly does that mean?

Does that also pertain to Carlsbad?

Ideally we would like somewhere safe, that is family oriented and close to good grocery stores, shops and dining? Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:26 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Encinitas and Carlsbad are very similar, with some small distinctions. Both cities are great for families, generally speaking, and have lots of services and programs for kids, mostly above average to very good schools, etc. Either one would fit the bill for being safe, family oriented, and close to grocery stores, shops, and dining. I'd suggest you visit each area (they're about 10 minutes apart) and see which fits you best.
The 5 freeway runs through both cities, and generally divides them. West of the freeway is closer to the beach and generally a little older. The village of Carlsbad and "old Encinitas" are along the coastal highway, while east of the 5 in Carlsbad has areas like Aviara and La Costa and inland Encinitas is called "New Encinitas" or "Village Park." Inland Encinitas is more commercial, more tract or planned housing compared to the coastal strip, which tends to be older.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 55,868 times
thanks for your response, I remember seeing posts about parts of both that were a bit sketchy. I'm assuming it could be the coastal side since maybe there is more non-resident traffic. It concerned me a bit but either way I will definitely check out both, they each look beautiful.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbound123 View Post
thanks for your response, I remember seeing posts about parts of both that were a bit sketchy. I'm assuming it could be the coastal side since maybe there is more non-resident traffic. It concerned me a bit but either way I will definitely check out both, they each look beautiful.
"Sketchy" is a relative term, of course. There are pockets of both Encinitas and Carlsbad that are a bit more lower working class, more immigrant families living there, older parts of town. It's not necessarily the coastal sides. It sort of varies, some more inland, some right along the coast. You have the right idea to just come and spend a day driving around to see what you think. As I often say on these comment threads, San Diego may be nice for most, but it's not for everyone.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
You really couldn't go wrong with either area...I personally prefer Encinitas myself but that's me. It's very safe IMO. But, hey, it's not Disneyland here either. SD has the same problems as all large cities do. You are always going to get some car break ins, burglaries, homeless, drugs, etc. no matter what area you live in. But this area is about as safe as you can get without going into Rancho Santa Fe and $$$$$. I wouldn't worry too much about the safety factor. Of course, as anywhere, you have to watch your kids all the time. Unfortunatley, we have plenty of sexual predators out here same as everywhere.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
sorry...hope I didn't scare you off

Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 AM

76 posts, read 215,066 times
Encinitas is really expensive and there are certainly 'sketchy' areas in both Encinitas and Carlsbad. Look into La Costa (South Carlsbad). It's quiet, doesn't have those 'sketchy' areas, is less expensive than Encinitas, but not as far from San Diego as Carlsbad proper, and it has good schools. It's a diamond in the rough. We love it here.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Encinitas is really expensive and there are certainly 'sketchy' areas in both Encinitas and Carlsbad. Look into La Costa (South Carlsbad). It's quiet, doesn't have those 'sketchy' areas, is less expensive than Encinitas, but not as far from San Diego as Carlsbad proper, and it has good schools. It's a diamond in the rough. We love it here.
To me, a North County coastal native, La Costa just lacks that true community spirit when compared to Carlsbad Village or Encinitas. There is no downtown La Costa where people gather. It's just a lot of tract housing spreading out on the hills. It's clean, safe, quiet. But it just lacks that community feel for me. That's why we settled in Encinitas. But to each his own.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM

76 posts, read 215,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
To me, a North County coastal native, La Costa just lacks that true community spirit when compared to Carlsbad Village or Encinitas. There is no downtown La Costa where people gather. It's just a lot of tract housing spreading out on the hills. It's clean, safe, quiet. But it just lacks that community feel for me. That's why we settled in Encinitas. But to each his own.
That's absolutely true. But the problem is that, the places you can live in Encinitas that are close enough to that 'community feel' are so impossibly expensive, no normal middle class person can either rent or buy there. And the places that are affordable are just housing tracts east of the 5 that are noisy and in some places, scurvy.

We looked for 2 years to buy and we looked a lot in Encinitas. We got a 1500 square foot 3/2 twin here for the same money as would have bought us a 874 2/1 in Pacific Serena. Forget about a single family. Even the twins are out of 'starter home' range.

We also tried to rent there, and found it a real 'party' atmosphere in any place where you didn't have enough money to buy a single family home. I'm sure it all depends on where you happen to end up and what you can afford, but normal working class people can no longer afford Encinitas. We are close enough to both Encinitas and Carlsbad that we go there frequently to fuss around and such, but here, we hear no freeway noise, are living pretty quietly, yet we are close enough to San Diego that it's not an "oh my god, that's too far a drive' type of thing like it would be in Carlsbad.

However, if you have lots and lots of money to buy virtually anything you want, and can afford to live west of the 5, I'm sure Encinitas can be really nice. But it's certainly not the funky little town it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego