Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 31,938 times

Advertisements

Lost my job a few months ago and am considering
another state because SD is just to expensive.
Arizona i have relatives but that heat ? have friends in texas,
Oregon rains alot , Hmmm what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
I wouldn't move to Texas or Arizona because I hate the politics in those states. I'd move to Colorado or New Mexico

Old 02-27-2011, 03:53 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Personally I'd disagree about Texas. Although I didn't love living in Dallas before, the economy was really strong and housing was dirt cheap compared to San Diego. I've never met anyone that had a problem finding a job there. I have several friends there and they really enjoy it.

Another VERY strong perk is there are NO state income taxes there. I'll admit the summers are BRUTAL there and hot but no one really spends so much time outside. People go from their air conditioned houses/apartments to their air conditioned cars to their air conditioned offices in the summer.

It's certainly not beautiful like San Diego but after a job loss it might be good to evaluate the best city to get financially secure or stable. Texas would be an option in a bigger city like Dallas. You can move to a really nice suburb like Plano and live like a king if you have a stable job. It ranked a few times in various publications as the best city to live for that size. Also, the school system consistently ranks as one of the best in the country.

Ask your friends how they liked Texas. The people were extremely friendly there the 8 years I lived there. Extremely safe as well. I'm not sure if you have kids or not but the school system in a town like Plano is really great. Also very educated city. There are many larger corporations based there. The reason I moved there was the plentiful job market. I got recruited out of University for a company there and while I was working there I constantly got calls from Recruiters for other jobs in town. I think the job market should stay strong there due to so many larger companies based there (and the various other smaller companies that feed off those companies or service them).

Plano, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't underestimate the no state income taxes. It makes a huge difference.

I guess much depends on your priorities right now. You'll have to ask yourself if it's more important to be in a beautiful city by the ocean or if making money, being employed with a steady job and building up savings is more important right now. Much will depend on that factor.

As to the comment about the "politics in that state". You totally don't need to get concerned/involved about politics in Texas. You can be as involved or not involved as you want wherever you live.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Strongly considering Spokompton, Washington, cheaper cost of living and it has a desert like climate for most of the year (little rain). Yes if does have winters....which I am not really fond of....but, weather is not the only thing I consider important.

If I had enough money I would love to live in a place like Fallbrook, Valley Center, Poway.....anywhere a lot less trashy than Central San Diego.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Why is it always Texas with people? TEXAS HAS A 25 BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT. They just hide it. There are 48 other states that you can move to but Texas really sucks. Try Colorado, a much better and prettier state or Washington or Oregon.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Why is it always Texas with people? TEXAS HAS A 25 BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIT. They just hide it. There are 48 other states that you can move to but Texas really sucks. Try Colorado, a much better and prettier state or Washington or Oregon.
Texas isn't so bad! I've lived in Dallas and Austin and like both of those cities and the people were great. Austin is a "Blue Pearl in a Sea of Red" as the saying goes and its a fun town. But I don't want to go back, I've got my heart and mind set for San Diego.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Texas isn't so bad! I've lived in Dallas and Austin and like both of those cities and the people were great. Austin is a "Blue Pearl in a Sea of Red" as the saying goes and its a fun town. But I don't want to go back, I've got my heart and mind set for San Diego.
Yeah I know. It just annoys me that people think Texas is the only answer when really there are so many other prettier more exciting states

Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM

418 posts, read 1,312,452 times
I suggest that you stay in S.D. and enjoy heaven on earth. Do whatever you have to do for work, even if it is work two meager jobs. You will be happier there than living with a better job in any other place. I live in Texas now near Austin and hate every day of it. I am miserable and will be back in S.D. as soon as my home sells. The heat, humidity, and for god sakes...the bugs and bugs and bugs, spiders, ants, mosquitoes. You can't even go outside here without being miserable in 5 minutes. Texas is a dump compared to S.D. or even Phoenix area. But maybe you have to find out for yourself. Sometimes you don't know how much you will miss something until you do without it for awhile.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
I would only go to the Bay Area or Seattle. The job markets there are somewhat better than SD at almost anytime, especially Seattle. The politics are acceptable (to me anyway) and it may seem strange but weather wise, they're the only other places that don't see extremes of heat and while cooler, no extremes of cold either. As close as possible outside SoCal.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
I didn't mention Texas due to the environment or beauty of the city. I gave it on the basis of an unemployed guy looking for a city that he can more easily afford and find a job.

I agree Colorado is MUCH more beautiful but not sure how great the job market is there.

If Texas is good at hiding their deficit...maybe California State can go take some classes from Texas on this.... They sure could use help hiding their problems....

I think we all agree that San Diego is a great city, gorgeous weather, great lifestyle. But when someone is posting they lost their job and it's too expensive. I don't think a logical answer is "find a way to stay here... work two jobs, etc".

I'm not saying make the move permanently....once you build up some decent savings you can always move back but I can't see the logic of staying in a city where good paying jobs are hard to come by and cost of living is higher. Yeah, if you can easily find another job then by all means stay but that doesn't seem to be the case when you say it's too expensive for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego