Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 08:46 AM

17 posts, read 59,476 times

Advertisements

I want some advice from anyone who lives in San Diego, CA, or Charleston, NC. I have been living in Miami, FL, for the last fifteen years with not much success in employment or relationship and I think it is time for a change. I want to relocate to a city that offers job opportunities, affordable housing and where I can also meet trustworthy guys. Miami is definitely a beautiful city, but it offers very little. The cost of living is very high and the pay is low. Also, it very difficult to have a serious long term relationship with any guy, because there are too many married, single, gay, or divorced women looking to add a second man in their life. I was looking into San Diego, because it’s a big city; love the weather and the salary pay is not bad for the cost of living. I am debating between these cities because I have heard that housing is expensive in San Diego and I don’t want to live an apartment. Charleston, NC has affordable housing, but I don’t know much about the job market or if it’s a fun city. I am a single mom of two kids. I have a high graduate that will be leaving home in a couple months to go to college and an elementary student. Therefore, I am looking for a good school system for my elementary child. My field of work is in education mainly for middle and high school students. Any suggestions will be happy to hear them. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
> I want to relocate to a city that offers job opportunities, affordable housing

San Diego is not for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Plus Charleston is in SC. Consider the midwest when looking for earnest mates.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:39 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominican Star View Post
I want to relocate to a city that offers job opportunities, affordable housing
Then San Diego is not the choice for you

Old 03-05-2011, 04:02 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
I'd have to echo what the other posters mentioned. Based on what you wrote, especially "being a single mom with 2 kids"... San Diego is DEFINITELY not for you. While I agree with you Miami isn't a desirable city to live in. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper than San Diego. Plenty of cheap rentals and cheap apartments/homes now with the real estate crash.

There are much better places to live in the USA under your circumstances.... If you have 2 kids your priority should be giving them the best possible life. I can't see that happening in Miami or San Diego.

Too many people looking for educational jobs in San Diego and many of them really highly educated with Masters and they can't get a full time gig. North Carolina the economy is better and more jobs. Same thing about Texas. You can go to a suburb like Plano in Texas and plenty of jobs there.

I imagine the dating scene is tough when you have 2 kids and a single mom but I knew several single moms when I lived in Dallas many years ago and they didn't have problems dating.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Charleston, South Carolina is similar to San Diego in having relatively weak job opportunities, and a higher cost of living because you're paying the same sort of premium for the beautiful city, palm trees, beach, etc. Same issues in both. But they're both gorgeous!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Dunno if you are referring to Charlotte, NC or Charleston, SC...but either one I would not choose and this is coming from a born and bred North Carolinian....In Charlotte now...trying to relocate out West...It's just as bad here in North Carolina as anywhere else.....Grant it, it's affordable...but ya know what thats it.......Yes San Diego is expensive..but ya know what I'll take 'scenic', sunny, picturesque, palm tree, San Diego over Charlotte, NC or Charleston, SC anyday....I mean it you want to take it west...come further inland where its more affordable until you can do better such as Denver or Phoenix, h#ll even Alburquerque....which I hear is on the come up......Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: