Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,260 times

Advertisements

Also check out craigslist. I bought some couches from private parties, excluding the bed bugs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,750 times
[SIZE=2]For the price, it is hard to beat Ikea's quality on couches and most of their furniture. They simply have a tremendous volume and quality control system that is difficult for smaller vendors to replicate. Sorry, but claims that nothing in Ikea is quality just don't match up with the findings of Consumer Reports or similar testing. The key point, though, is that it is quality at a low cost point and can't be compared to higher priced products. Cheaper products aren't going to use kiln-dried hardwoods for the frame, will have less expensive fabric, etc. With regard to West Elm, Crate & Barrel, etc., you'll find that most of their sofas are made by the same contractors and they generally have a solid reputation. I agree with other posters that I'd spend some time looking for a used sofa with the knowledge that your kids are likely to have their way with it for a few years.[/SIZE]

Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Ashley Furniture on Miramar Road might be worth checking out...
San Diego, California Ashley Furniture HomeStore: Find Furniture Stores | Ashley Furniture

Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM

177 posts, read 398,846 times
San Diego isn't really known for their couches. You might be better off with a love seat or recliner. If you ever move to LA though, they have some amazing couches up there. I only wish San Diego had the quality of couches that LA has.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I agree, but I bought mine from Salvation Army for $67, and it was nice and clean. I saw the matching chair in another store, but couldn't buy it due to lack of space.

Might look clean as a pin.......but them thangs can hide out really good and the babies are almost impossible to see.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max11 View Post
[SIZE=2]For the price, it is hard to beat Ikea's quality on couches and most of their furniture. They simply have a tremendous volume and quality control system that is difficult for smaller vendors to replicate. Sorry, but claims that nothing in Ikea is quality just don't match up with the findings of Consumer Reports or similar testing. The key point, though, is that it is quality at a low cost point and can't be compared to higher priced products. Cheaper products aren't going to use kiln-dried hardwoods for the frame, will have less expensive fabric, etc. With regard to West Elm, Crate & Barrel, etc., you'll find that most of their sofas are made by the same contractors and they generally have a solid reputation. I agree with other posters that I'd spend some time looking for a used sofa with the knowledge that your kids are likely to have their way with it for a few years.[/SIZE]
Are you saying that Ikea couches use the more desirable kiln-dried hardwood and/or good fabric, or not?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Now that I think about it though, East San Diego has some nice couches. When you get out east, they know what a good couch is. The rest of San Diego, not so much.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
I guess by your logic, UrbanDecay, New Jersey is known for park benches, and North Dakota for stools.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I guess by your logic, UrbanDecay, New Jersey is known for park benches, and North Dakota for stools.
I don't know about benches or stools. I'm talking couches.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,825,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post
Now that I think about it though, East San Diego has some nice couches. When you get out east, they know what a good couch is. The rest of San Diego, not so much.

Good one Bloom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego