Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

My opinion: San Diego has A LOT MORE GOING ON! Dallas was sooo quiet...besides traffic there are hardly any pedestrians. We'd go to downtown around dinner time, EMPTY. There was a cool club at the top of the W, but the city felt dead every weekend....which can be a good or bad thing depending on your preference. Dallas feels like a bigger city in terms of traffic and size, but San Diego is so much more alive in my opinion. My relative also feels the same, Dallas is a quiet big city.

Be grateful you live in San Diego and not Dallas haha, it's boring as .... there!
I totally agree with this. They should change the name from Dallas to Dullest, Texas. You'd think a metro over twice the size of SD would have stuff going on, but it doesn't. IMO, it's the most boring of the largest metros in the country.

Negatives:

Bland, no history, nasty man-made lakes, no people watching areas, flat and ugly, unbelievable sprawl , obnoxious "Don't Mess with Texas" attitude, nothing to see or do, but go to the mall.

Positives:

It's cheap (and if you go, you'll know why)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:53 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,931,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I totally agree with this. They should change the name from Dallas to Dullest, Texas. You'd think a metro over twice the size of SD would have stuff going on, but it doesn't. IMO, it's the most boring of the largest metros in the country.

Negatives:

Bland, no history, nasty man-made lakes, no people watching areas, flat and ugly, unbelievable sprawl , obnoxious "Don't Mess with Texas" attitude, nothing to see or do, but go to the mall.

Positives:

It's cheap (and if you go, you'll know why)
that's well put too, though never been there

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
Dallas is primarly a business city. Not a bad place, but not a place I'd call fast paced. If anything, I'd say it is a bit slower than San Diego. But San Diego is farily slow compared to DC, SF, LA, ect. Personally I think that is a good thing.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,988 times
i keep hearing that san diego is slow, but i'm wondering if anyone who has been to the Caribbean can relate it to being "island time" slow? or is island time on a whole other level?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Laid back, slow paced and pretty much like one of those Greyhound dogs that just wants to sit on the couch and watch tv all day.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 PM

745 posts, read 1,567,917 times
It depends. Compared to Sacramento where I lived for 12 years it is a big city. Compared to Los Angeles (even though San Diego is the second largest city in CA) it seems like a small city.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 PM

189 posts, read 966,710 times
I used to live in Detroit and moved to San Diego when it was still relatively small. I now consider San Diego a big town, but different from big towns back east. People here are more laid back than a lot of easterners. I've never been to Texas, so I can't compare it to anything there.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 PM

177 posts, read 398,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
i keep hearing that san diego is slow, but i'm wondering if anyone who has been to the Caribbean can relate it to being "island time" slow? or is island time on a whole other level?
Sometimes I feel like I'm living on an island here. Kinda like in LOST, but I didn't crash on a plane. I was born here.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

95 posts, read 409,098 times
My job takes me into every major city in America. I flew into Chicago-O'hare last week, and was immediately struck by how fast everything and everyone moves. Reminded me of NYC & Baltimore. It's hard to reside here and try to focus on climbing the corporate ladder, when there's so much active living going on here.

As big as San Diego has gotten, it has a small town feel compared to other major US cities.

I also have counterparts from work who come into San Diego as well. Without exception, they all comment on two things: 1) The prevailing "laid back/chill" attitude of the residents and 2) The beauty of the city and the people.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 AM

26 posts, read 105,011 times
That is easy question
it depends what your previous experience is... all is relative
if you are from a "real 20th century city" Like NYC Chicago San Francisco Phila. you will feel slow paced mini city
if you are from a rural area, it will seem faster, bigger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego