Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering moving to San Diego from New Jersey, seeking information about cost of living, job market for IT jobs, one bedroom rentals, IT salaries, public transportation

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 40,030 times

Advertisements

I've seen tons of 'Help I'm moving to San Diego' posts but since my situation is different than others, I decided to post my own.
I was thinking of relocating to San Diego because of the weather but I really don't know much about it. I've been reading through the posts and I've read things like 'pretentious people', 'no nights out because of the lack of public transportation', 'terrible job market'. Are these things true?
I live in NJ now, I have an hour and a half commute, I HATE the winter and muggy summers. I really though SD was the answer to my problems, but now I'm not so sure. I just moved to NJ from Manhattan so I'm used to paying an arm and a leg for no living space, not a big deal.
I am a software chick, does anyone know how the industry is for people in this field? Also, I've read that salaries are low, is this true?
Also, I have no idea about neighborhoods and such. It's so confusing to me, what is 4s or something?? It seems like there are a billion different neighborhoods in SD. I'd like to be closeish to the beach but don't want to pay more than 1500 for a one bedroom. Do you think this is do-able? Thanks for your help, and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsscdb View Post
I
I was thinking of relocating to San Diego because of the weather but I really don't know much about it. I've been reading through the posts and I've read things like 'pretentious people', 'no nights out because of the lack of public transportation', 'terrible job market'. Are these things true?
They are true in the minds of the people who post them. Whether or not that will be your situation, is up to you.

Personally I believe that unhappy people are unhappy wherever they go, and happy people are happy wherever they go. Negative people focus on the negative and positive people focus on the positive.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 PM

181 posts, read 892,389 times
I think you could find an apartment in almost any neighborhood you wanted to live in for that price, even something close to the beach. Sure san diego is not perfect, but it is my opinion that it is one of the best cities around. Check out the beach cites of Pacific beach, la jolla, del mar, solana beach, encinitas and carlsbad, as they are the closest to most of the employment. Each of them has something a little diff. to offer...Like Sassberto said, if you have a good attitude I think you will be really happy here.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Imagine being on vacation 365 days of the year? That is life in San Diego !!!

There are beautiful surroundings everywhere you look. Palm trees ... scenic beaches ... canyons ... mountains ... etc.

And the weather is incredibly nice ... ALL YEAR ROUND !!!

No more snow again ... EVER ... unless you choose to drive to the nearby mountains for skiing.

Sure you will have to work to pay your bills ... but when the workday is over ... and on the weekends ... you can hit the beaches .... go hiking ... bike riding ... boating ... skorkeling ... scuba diving ... hang gliding ... visit museums ... go to the worlds best zoo ... and tons of other great stuff.

San Diego has plenty of large and small companies which use technology, so finding a job shouldn't be impossible if you have the right skills they need. Software companies like Oracle have their main office based in San Diego.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Software companies like Oracle have their main office based in San Diego.
Oracle's main office remains and has always been in Redwood City, Silicon Valley. The Oracle office in Carmel Valley is just a little R&D group. There is no major software HQ in San Diego, Qualcomm would be the closest. Intuit has a large group here but they too are headquartered in Silicon Valley

Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Oracle's main office remains and has always been in Redwood City, Silicon Valley. The Oracle office in Carmel Valley is just a little R&D group. There is no major software HQ in San Diego, Qualcomm would be the closest. Intuit has a large group here but they too are headquartered in Silicon Valley
Oops... thought I once saw the Oracle headquarters while traveling down a San Diego highway ... but it most likely happened on a visit to SF.

I did find this website which lists 733 software companies with locations in San Diego:

Page 7 | Computer Software Companies in San Diego, California (CA)

This should be useful for jsscdb.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,352,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsscdb View Post
I've seen tons of 'Help I'm moving to San Diego' posts but since my situation is different than others, I decided to post my own.
I live in NJ now, I have an hour and a half commute, I HATE the winter and muggy summers. I really though SD was the answer to my problems, but now I'm not so sure. I just moved to NJ from Manhattan so I'm used to paying an arm and a leg for no living space, not a big deal.
I am a software chick, does anyone know how the industry is for people in this field? Also, I've read that salaries are low, is this true?
Also, I have no idea about neighborhoods and such. It's so confusing to me, what is 4s or something?? It seems like there are a billion different neighborhoods in SD. I'd like to be closeish to the beach but don't want to pay more than 1500 for a one bedroom. Do you think this is do-able? Thanks for your help, and time.
I've read a lot of the same thing, but I also tend to think pretentious people sometimes attract pretentious people-meaning don't surround yourself with those types and you should be fine. I have also been researching rents a lot and think for what you're willing to pay you could have a very nice apt. I can't comment on the job market, but other than that I am sure you'd be fine in SD.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 PM

202 posts, read 872,884 times
Quote:
They are true in the minds of the people who post them. Whether or not that will be your situation, is up to you.

Personally I believe that unhappy people are unhappy wherever they go, and happy people are happy wherever they go. Negative people focus on the negative and positive people focus on the positive.

If you really give that statement some thought, you will realize that it is not true. Essentially you are saying that environment has zero effect on happiness/contentedness, which has been scientifically proven to be false in experiments with psychology.

Under that logic, the same person would be just as happy and content living in a war zone as they would be living on an Island paradise. I don't need any scientific evidence to prove that the Island person would be happier, just common sense.

Of course while being an extreme generalization, your statement does have some truth. But it is far from being an absolute truth that can be applied to every case. On the contrary, it is only one of many complex elements that go into factoring a persons overall level of contentedness and happiness w/ life.

But then again, I'm sure you will be able to find countless generalizations that I have made in previous posts? We are all guilty of doing it.

Last edited by Nick682; 03-20-2008 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Quote:

Thanks for putting it so bluntly and I couldn't agree with you more. I just laugh at those who tell about their negative personal experiences and observations, and then apply it to ALL of San Diego.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 PM

202 posts, read 872,884 times
Yeah, everyone should say positive things all the time!

Your right, who are these negative people, I laugh at them too, hah...hah...hah...LOL!

Stupid negative ones! I can't believe that they never once said that it didn't "APPLY TO EVERYONE"?

Instead they are so negative and just adamantly insist that it applies to everyone.

I'm with you! If you don't like SD, then there must be something wrong with you?

Last edited by Nick682; 03-20-2008 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego