U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 69,657 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are moving to San Diego in September, and I'm trying to sort things out.

We've been trying to do some neighborhood research to find out the best area to live. We don't have a huge budget, but we're willing to pay a little more for the right place. We're both artists, and we're looking for live/work spaces or at least a lot of space for a good price.

A friend of mine mentioned Logan Heights as an area that we might find a warehouse space or live/work space, and I've found some pretty cheap places listed there on the internet. She was kinda vague about how safe it is there. We're both cyclists, we ride our bikes everywhere and use bikes as our main mode of transportation. We've lived in some semi-rough areas in our lives (myself in the 'ghetto' in baltimore and detroit and chicago).

But we don't want to live in a place where we're gonna get bothered just because we're there. In Baltimore and Detroit if you make your presence known a little too strongly, you get messed with, but if you just live there and do your thing, usually you're fine. Can anyone tell me what's up with logan heights?

Additionally, if any of you know of an area where there are warehouse spaces available, we'd be very interested. Have some space where we don't have to worry about making the floor dirty is really important.

thanks a lot!

Steve
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 09:15 AM

840 posts, read 6,210,710 times
Logan Heights is also known as Barrio Logan. It's an area with alot of Mexican history and it is what it's called... a barrio. But it's not like Baltimore, Detroit or Chicago but it is gang territory. One of the most violent and notorious Mexican drug cartels has (or had) ties with a gang in the area. It isn't the most desirable place in San Diego.

There are plenty of other areas where you can find a warehouse or even a live/work loft.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 AM

8,496 posts, read 27,470,878 times
Logan Heights is basically a working class / low-income residential area bordering on Barrio Logan which is a traditional Mexican-American Barrio. Logan Heights is mostly Mexican with a minority Black population as well.

It is a bit less empoverished than the Barrio with more homeowners and more long-term neighborhoods. Safety is relative - most of the problems happen to gangsters and people who look like gangsters. But I am down there several times a week and I see nothing but women and children running around all the time. Most of the older gangsters seem to be dead, in jail, or in El Cajon, but there are plenty of thuggy teenage males, bumping cars, and pitbulls around.

Still, I won't walk around much down there, even during the day. I'm white, but my sister-in-law who works down there and is Mexican doesn't feel safe walking around either. There are a lot of people on the streets at all times which is probably a good thing.

I think the type of property you are looking for can be found on one of the commercial arteries in the area. Commercial, National, Imperial, Market. Most of the warehouses are on Commercial street between downtown and the 15 freeway. That would be where I would concentrate my search. It's not a great area, and because it is a warehouse district there is a lot more crime than even in the residential sections of Logan, but this is still San Diego and compared to Baltimore, Detroit, or Chicago, it's gonna be a cakewalk.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Logan Heights is basically a working class / low-income residential area bordering on Barrio Logan which is a traditional Mexican-American Barrio. Logan Heights is mostly Mexican with a minority Black population as well.
Do you separate both Logan Heights and Barrio Logan? I've always known both as the same.

Also, I wouldn't say San Diego is 'cakewalk' compared to those other cities, crime is crime no matter what but there's just less of it in San Diego.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Do you separate both Logan Heights and Barrio Logan? I've always known both as the same.
yes, they are separate. Barrio Logan is, well, a barrio. It's eastern border is about 28th street and Imperial to the north. Barrio Logan has pretty much always been mixed industrial and low-income. Logan Heights was once more of a middle class place. If you go into the neighborhoods east of 30th you will see some decent old homes. East of the I-15 it becomes very residential.

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't say San Diego is 'cakewalk' compared to those other cities, crime is crime no matter what but there's just less of it in San Diego.
Well, speaking as someone who has seen Baltimore in the 80's.... San Diego just isn't the same. No burned out buildings, and packs of dudes sitting on couches on the sidewalk in San Diego.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
yes, they are separate. Barrio Logan is, well, a barrio. It's eastern border is about 28th street and Imperial to the north. Barrio Logan has pretty much always been mixed industrial and low-income. Logan Heights was once more of a middle class place. If you go into the neighborhoods east of 30th you will see some decent old homes. East of the I-15 it becomes very residential.

Well, speaking as someone who has seen Baltimore in the 80's.... San Diego just isn't the same. No burned out buildings, and packs of dudes sitting on couches on the sidewalk in San Diego.

I didn't know sitting on couches and burned out buildings were crimes. LOL

Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I didn't know sitting on couches and burned out buildings were crimes. LOL

Well, I'm talking more about the "appearance of crime". When a bunch of guys are comfortable hanging and playing dice, selling weed right out in the open on a street with mattresses on the sidewalk and burned out-cars sitting there for years, law and order has completely broken down in that neighborhood.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm talking more about the "appearance of crime". When a bunch of guys are comfortable hanging and playing dice, selling weed right out in the open on a street with mattresses on the sidewalk and burned out-cars sitting there for years, law and order has completely broken down in that neighborhood.

There's people that sell drugs out in the open in San Diego. I know there's drug dealings inside liquor stores, but I know what you mean. Cities on the Eastcoast seems like they just don't care anymore.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:24 AM

169 posts, read 803,361 times
If you've been in the hoods of Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago you shouldn't worry about too much in Logan. It gets grimy around there, but what hood doesn't. There's plenty of warehouses, just take the trolley down commercial that's all you'll see.

There's nothing middle class about that area, hasnt been for DECADES, there are exceptions, but its mostly working class and under. Matter of fact I think Logan has the highest poverty rate in San Diego, if it isn't National City.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 69,657 times
Quote:

I think the type of property you are looking for can be found on one of the commercial arteries in the area. Commercial, National, Imperial, Market. Most of the warehouses are on Commercial street between downtown and the 15 freeway. That would be where I would concentrate my search. It's not a great area, and because it is a warehouse district there is a lot more crime than even in the residential sections of Logan, but this is still San Diego and compared to Baltimore, Detroit, or Chicago, it's gonna be a cakewalk.
Ok Cool,

Commercial, National, Imperial, and Market are all streets in logan heights, or are those other areas in San Diego? Is Logan Heights the only area warehouses spaces can be found? We're not looking for live/work lofts in the "proper" sense. Most of those spaces are neat and clean and won't work for what we want to do, we're looking for the nitty gritty warehouse.

Also, while I'm asking questions, what's public transportation like in SD?

thanks for all your answers y'all!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego