Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you do with $120,000 right now?
Fly to Vegas and try to double it. 2 6.06%
Invest most in the Stock Market once Japan's crisis is over. 7 21.21%
Move to S.D., get a nice place pad, gorgeous convertible, and live the good life. 16 48.48%
Charlie Sheen it up on as many parties, women, cruises, and fun it will buy. 6 18.18%
Spend it all doing charitable works. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:03 PM

315 posts, read 820,817 times

Advertisements

120k isnt much money.. id invest $20k with me and u make $10k profit in a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 PM

177 posts, read 398,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
Well folks, I have read all of your responses and suggestions, and I will be boarding a plane in Austin in a couple hours with my $120K. I will let you know how and what I did when I return in a few days. Wish me luck!
Please don't tell me you have the $120k in cash on you.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM

25 posts, read 68,163 times
You should buy my house so I can move to SD.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,462 times
Combined with some of our savings and current home equity (even in this market), another $120K would allow us to put a nice downpayment on an upgraded house. As long as we weren't targeting a large home, we could probably get into just about any community in the San Diego Area.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 AM

418 posts, read 1,311,684 times
Well, I am back in Austin. For those of you who have been on pins and needles waiting to hear what I decided to do (ha ha), wait no longer. Here is the skinny:

Looked at about 25 mobile homes from Oceanside to Escondido. Thought I missed out on the ideal one when someone beat me in with an offer by 2 days. It was even nicely furnished with gorgeous views of the hills in the nicest park of all, whose swimming pool even sits high on a hill with views of the entire area and surrounding mountains. But then it happened. I was shown the newest one of all, 1440 sq ft, with real walls, meticulously decorated (painted), real home type doors, and even bracing for earthquakes. A gorgeous solidly built mobile home, with huge windows in front all the way to the floor overlooking a park management maintained rose garden, and a lovely covered porch off the dining room with nice views and a patio out back for sun bathing and turning into an outdoor gym. But what sealed the deal for me was when I stood in front of the home, which is on a hill at the end of a cul-de-sac in the park, I was watching the sun set into the Pacific Ocean. Yes, I could see the ocean from the front of the home, as clear as day (at least that day).

So I made an offer yesterday morning of $65,000 to include some nice furniture that was in it and a short escrow of only 2 weeks. I then raced to the airport to catch my plane back to Austin. When I arrived home I had an email saying the offer was accepted, and the owner was anxious to move to Texas ..... sort of ironic I suppose.

So, as long as the park management accepts me (they thoroughly screen each prospective owner before allowing them in), the deal looks done. I will have a space rent to pay of about $500 a month, but will be able to afford that. The park is on rent control so the rent should stay reasonable (they have only raised it $5 in the last 2 yrs.) The ocean breezes and watching the sun set into the ocean most nights will be worth that.

Well, looks like I may be a San Diegan again within a month. This way I will have enough money left to buy a 2-4 yr old low mileage BMW or Lexus convertible, keep some money in savings for an emergency, and use the money I get from the sale of some $100,000 worth of Native American Art I have in my collection to splurge on eating out, taking an occasional cruise, and buying that new 73" HD 3D TV I have my eye on.

So, that's the answer to the $120K question which started this thread. Thanks for the input. Now wish me luck .... and I hope to see you all around soon. I will be easy to spot, so make sure you honk or say hi. I will be the one in the convertible with my white lab, Gracie, in the back with her head in the breeze sticking up over the windshield.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Beware of Dog,

Congratulations! Sounds like a great use of cash for you. Now tell us the truth...... did you really even consider taking it all to Vegas to bet on red/black?? LOL.

Good luck in San Diego.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM

177 posts, read 398,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
This way I will have enough money left to buy a 2-4 yr old low mileage BMW or Lexus convertible, keep some money in savings for an emergency, and use the money I get from the sale of some $100,000 worth of Native American Art I have in my collection to splurge on eating out, taking an occasional cruise, and buying that new 73" HD 3D TV I have my eye on.
Living in a trailer park is gonna be awesome! You should splurge on some 22" chrome rims for your new ride while your at it. It doesn't matter if the rims are worth more than your car, or if your car is worth more than your trailer. Just go for it!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:02 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,564 times
Neither. I'd use it as a down payment on a cheap house or condo.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Nice Dog! From your past posts I remember this has been in the works for some time. Glad to see things coming to fruition for you.

Enjoy those sunsets

Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times
CCongratulation Dog! I was just thinking about you and your move to San Diego. Its finally happening for you. I hope the remaining portion of your relo goes smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego