Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times

Advertisements

so my boyfriend and i just moved into a new apartment in mission valley and are having issues with the ac/heater unit. we turned it on and it makes this loud not normal vibrating noise (it feels almost like when you're in a car and the windows are open a certain amount and you get that horrible sound in your ears). it's only sounds that way in a certain area of the master bedroom and it sounds like that in the entire closet and bathroom but you step out into the living room, kitchen and other bedroom/bathroom and it's perfectly quiet like it should be! some ac guy came over today and said it sounded fine and we must have sensitive hearing and there was nothing he could do about it. we are paying over $1700 in rent and i think for that amount we should have a quiet unit! any expert ac/heater technicians have any idea what this possibly could be????? or is there nothing that can be done???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:54 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michie77 View Post
so my boyfriend and i just moved into a new apartment in mission valley and are having issues with the ac/heater unit. we turned it on and it makes this loud not normal vibrating noise (it feels almost like when you're in a car and the windows are open a certain amount and you get that horrible sound in your ears). it's only sounds that way in a certain area of the master bedroom and it sounds like that in the entire closet and bathroom but you step out into the living room, kitchen and other bedroom/bathroom and it's perfectly quiet like it should be! some ac guy came over today and said it sounded fine and we must have sensitive hearing and there was nothing he could do about it. we are paying over $1700 in rent and i think for that amount we should have a quiet unit! any expert ac/heater technicians have any idea what this possibly could be????? or is there nothing that can be done???
tell your landlord. I am also not sure of the reasoning that because you pay 1700/mo it should have a quiet AC? I am confused.

If the AC guy already said its fine, not sure who you can turn to except another AC tech.

In the old condo I lived in the condenser was placed in the bathroom and it was pretty loud so we closed the door to the bathroom. Sounds like the same thing you have there or just an older unit.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Well, there is both a compressor pump and fan on this unit. Do not know if the compressor ( to pump the coolant) is outside your window, that could be a source of the noise???? Or it could be the fan that circulates the air through the unit, may be loose or have a bad mount. Sometimes things get old and they still work....just not like new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego