Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
No, you don't. If you bothered to spend 10 seconds looking at the wiki you would know it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless especially at the tiny quantities we're talking about. Also you're wrong that all Europeans don't have fluoridated tap water because Ireland, the UK, France, Spain, Sweden, Finland, and Poland all fluoridate most of their tap water.

Water fluoridation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I remember the day the city started adding fluoride.....and yes without a doubt it changed the taste of the water. I do not think I mentioned Europe in any of my posts, must be thinking about someone else.

Last edited by tickyul; 03-22-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM

434 posts, read 849,031 times
OERDIN

Would you please show me a source for your claim that "Ireland France, the UK, Spain, Sweden, Finland, and Poland all flouridate most of their tap water" ? My source says that Ireland is the only country on your list that uses fluoride. The rest do not. Here is my source:

Tooth Decay Trends in Fluoridated vs. Unfluoridated Countries

Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,183 times
Well, now that everyone is interested in water from plastic bottles, should I bring up the research that plasticizers are known to leach out of the containers and animal tests (high dose exposure) has been linked to cancer, hypogonadism , hormone imbalance, idiopathic asininity, global warming...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM

OERDIN

I've spent a little time doing some web searches for flouride use in Europe. I am prepared to say that most of the water in France, the UK and Spain is NOT flouridated. I suspect the same is true for the rest of the countries on your list. So I ask you once again for the source to back up your claim that the countries on your list flouridate most of their water.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:20 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native56 View Post
OERDIN

Would you please show me a source for your claim that "Ireland France, the UK, Spain, Sweden, Finland, and Poland all flouridate most of their tap water" ? My source says that Ireland is the only country on your list that uses fluoride. The rest do not. Here is my source:

Tooth Decay Trends in Fluoridated vs. Unfluoridated Countries
It's one the wiki page I linked to earlier.

From the link in post #40:

The definitions of the color codes are in the "use around the world" section of the wiki page.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM

You said "Ireland, France, the UK, Spain, Sweden, Finland, and Poland all flouridate most of their tap water". You made that conclusion from a map? Where is your real data? I don't see such a claim in the Wikipedia article you reference (my kids' teachers give an F grade when Wikipedia is used as a source - it is not a credible source even if it did substantiate what you say).

Your claim is not supported by your source. Do you have another source to validate your claim?

Meanwhile I will take your list of countries one at a time and provide sources that contradict your claim. Lets start with France. Here are my sources that say France does NOT flouridate their water:

http://www.yes4cleanwater.org/Docume...sRejectedF.pdf
Bellingham : No Forced Fluoride (Bellingham Fluoride)

Now the UK. You say that most tap water in the UK is flouridated. My sources say that only 10% of UK water is flouridated. NOT most water in the UK as you say.

The British Fluoridation Society
Fluoridation Statistics

This is taking up a lot of time. I will work on the rest of the list later. I'd sure like to see a valid source for you claim about water flouridation in Europe.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I guess I am just too dense to figure out why this Fluoridation is needed. I mean, most people use flouridated toothpaste when they brush.....what gives???? And yes, I do believe that Fluoride does strengthen teeth......why must I have it in my tap water when I am brushing my teeth with Fluoridated toothpaste.............anyone??????

And yes......you TIN FOIL HAT and BLACK HELICOPTER PEOPLE feel free to chime in.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,183 times
I think most municipalities use chlorine, instead of fluorine, because it is cheaper for it's primary use, to treat the water, not to decrease dentist visits. I think fluorine has added benefits, especially in the past, but not as much impact with today's modern hygiene.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
I said the water in those countries is fluoridated. Some of it is naturally fluoridated at or above the US standard and some of it (like Ireland) is because they add fluoride. Either way the water people drink is at or above the US standard.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 PM

What nerve! So now you change your story from MOST of the water being flouridated by the government to some nonsense about the water being naturally flouridated? You know that the discussion had nothing to do with natural flouride. The thread had to do with SD adding flouride to its water.

Libs will never be honest or tell the truth. It's always dance around the truth. I'll bet I can find data showing that most of the water in these countries is not naturally flouridated to any significant extent. Then whatcha gonna do? Invent a new twist? Reminds me of Clinton's lawyers and their famous "It depends on what the defintion of the word IS is".

You are not worth the time I have wasted on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego