Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times

Advertisements

What San Diego really needs is a true Santa Maria style BBQ place as that is the only true native style of BBQ in California. Some dry rubbed tri tip smoked using California coastal red oak chips (indirect heat, of course) with those pink piqiento beans grown only in the Santa Maria Valley with a nice side of coleslaw. Don't forget a buttery piece of garlic bread. Now that's true west coast BBQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 PM

169 posts, read 859,266 times
Coop's and only Coop's damnit!

Phil's can kick rocks with them long ass lines and weak side orders

Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We've done a road trip through Texas and ate at several BBQ places there, all highly recommended by the locals. It is by far the worst state for BBQ, so maybe this place you went to in San Diego was just imitating real Texas bbq...Never, ever again. We couldn't believe how bad the food was there, from Dallas to Houston to Austin and SA and everywhere in between. It's a shame they are known for such crappy food!
I got my love for BBQ when I was in the Army and stationed in the Carolinas. Now those boys know how to smoke a hog.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
The worst "BBQ" place in the city that I have ever eaten at in this city was Texas BBQ on Miramar Rd. It was tough, chewy, and just down right bad. I was with three other people and all three of them ate less then half of their ribs and just left the other half on the table despite the fact that they'd just got charged $25 for them. I don't normally care what country a chief comes from but if you're from Iraq and have never even been to Texas and you don't know the first thing about Texas BBQ than why on Earth would you open a restaurant named Texas BBQ?

Oerdin,

Was the place you went to on Miramar Road called "Abbey's Real Texas BBQ"? I hope not...I just bought a coupon for that place on Groupon.. LOL. It lists it as 6904 Miramar Road 92121. Their Groupon ad says they "smoke their own meat" and mention being nominated by CityVoters for Best BBQ of 2010. Of course that could just be creative advertising but I'm curious if that is the place you are talking about? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Abbey's Real Texas Bbq - Miramar - San Diego, CA

It is indeed. I'm not sure how they cooked it but there was no decipherable smoke ring on their meat and it certainly was either cooked to long or something because the ribs were tough as all give go. I noticed that other people said their sandwiches were good so maybe your coupon isn't a total waste but the ribs (both beef and pork) are a definite do not buy. Then again I only went once so it is possible that the four of us went on a bad day but it seems like getting four people with four bad orders is pretty damning.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Abbey's Real Texas Bbq - Miramar - San Diego, CA

It is indeed. I'm not sure how they cooked it but there was no decipherable smoke ring on their meat and it certainly was either cooked to long or something because the ribs were tough as all give go. I noticed that other people said their sandwiches were good so maybe your coupon isn't a total waste but the ribs (both beef and pork) are a definite do not buy. Then again I only went once so it is possible that the four of us went on a bad day but it seems like getting four people with four bad orders is pretty damning.
OK..thanks! Good to know... LOL. I just laughed when you mentioned that because I had just bought it a few minutes before you posted that.

Oh well....we'll still go and use it.... it was an $8 for $20 worth of food deal. Funny how much junk you can buy on Groupon but typically a good way to try different places you'd otherwise NEVER go to otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM

233 posts, read 885,737 times
I went by Phil's BBQ on Sports Arena on Saturday night at 6:30 and the line was almost 2 hours long. It snaked all the way around the srtip mall. Not even like you could go in sit at the bar and order a drink. There had to be 100 people there. I have never eaten there since I don't eat meat but I can't imagine anyplace being that good that it warrants 2 hours standing on line. Comments?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:18 PM

Lots of hype. Just like everyone hypes Hodads for nostalgia reasons even though Hodads serves a rather run of the mill burger which just happens to be exceptionally large so people rave about it. Hodads just takes generic commodity beef patties which are frozen, they plop it on the grill still frozen, put generic store bought cheese on it, put it on a generic store bought bun, and then pile on a bunch of generic store bought veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle). If you like they'll give you generic store bought mayo, mustard, or ketchup.

There is absolutely nothing special about a Hodads burger other then it's huge. I honestly think that people just have found childhood memories of the place since it's been around for decades and people remember what it was like to be 21 and living at the beach so Hodads is a nostalgia trip for them but the burgers are simply run of the mill.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
Quote:
Lots of hype. Just like everyone hypes Hodads for nostalgia reasons even though Hodads serves a rather run of the mill burger which just happens to be exceptionally large so people rave about it. Hodads just takes generic commodity beef patties which are frozen, they plop it on the grill still frozen, put generic store bought cheese on it, put it on a generic store bought bun, and then pile on a bunch of generic store bought veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle). If you like they'll give you generic store bought mayo, mustard, or ketchup.

There is absolutely nothing special about a Hodads burger other then it's huge. I honestly think that people just have found childhood memories of the place since it's been around for decades and people remember what it was like to be 21 and living at the beach so Hodads is a nostalgia trip for them but the burgers are simply run of the mill.
So funny you say that. When we first moved here, we went to Hodad's after hearing all the hype. One of the worst burgers we've ever had, I have no idea why the line is so long in OB! Then again, I think In-N-Out is crap, animal style or not. Can't see the fascination with that one either.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:14 PM

47 posts, read 154,193 times
In general, I can't stand waiting in line to spend my money, especially on food. It'd better be the best whatever I've ever had if I have to stand awkwardly around hungry, impatient, territorial strangers in a six-flags style line for 30-40 minutes.

Bucca Di Beppo, Phil's BBQ, and Hash House A Go Go have the longest lines and I can't figure out why after eating their food.

I did wait in line at Lucille's BBQ in Rancho Cucamonga (I think). I'd take that over the Phil's BBQ I had any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego