Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,039 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a full time job and also own my own business. I'm looking for some major tax advice, planning, etc. Not sure if I need a CPA or a tax lawyer or what? But I want someone who will do whatever it takes, if you know what I mean...

I could probably handle doing the taxes on my own, just have a lot of clarifying questions. I am looking for someone who I can pay a flat fee to, and they will give me solid advice for an hour. Hard to find I know, but let me know!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:57 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Sounds like you need a CPA. The best CPA referrals usually come from someone in your industry. A colleague, competitor, vendor etc.

For specific tax questions, there's an active tax forum on Craigslist:
tax forum - forums - craigslist

Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Check out Jerry Hughes at www.jhughestaxprep.com. He's the best!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:12 PM

Hmm, Jerry looks good, what makes him the best? I want someone who is experienced with self-employed/independent contractor situations... and who is also very creative...tax wise!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeinone04 View Post
Hmm, Jerry looks good, what makes him the best? I want someone who is experienced with self-employed/independent contractor situations... and who is also very creative...tax wise!
Check out his website. When I had my business, he had to do the amendments from the Jackson/Hewitt screwups. I ended up with more money back. Give him a call or email him, I'm sure he'd be happy to talk/meet with you.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 AM

204 posts, read 641,671 times
I didn't find much success on the tax forum of Craigslist. In fact someone gave me incorrect information. You may want to consider an enrolled agent rather than a CPA: Here's the website:NAEA : What is an Enrolled Agent? (http://www.naea.org/memberportal/Resources/ForTaxpayers/whatis_EA.htm - broken link)
You can put in your zip code and get someone. I used someone near my area with great success. They list their specializations and one of them is small business. I made the decision to use one of them because CPAs are more expensive and you have to find one that specializes in taxes because they all don't.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the NAEA link! I think this is more what I am looking for because I am interested in tax planning and have a lot of questions about what deductions I can take for my business. I am comfortable with the actual taxes portion. I'll give one of them a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego