Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:17 PM

156 posts, read 679,879 times

Advertisements

I moved from SD to Nashville.............am I glad I did!
You might look into Nashville as the healthcare industry is BIG here.
Did you know that you can drive just about anywhere in the East Coast from Nashville..within 8 hrs?
The weather is mild...everything is green...and the people are amazing! very friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 11:49 AM

17 posts, read 68,834 times
Default San Diego vs. Seattle response

Well, I have a lot to say about San Diego vs. Seattle. I lived in Seattle for 1.5 years in the mid 90's, and I've lived in San Diego for that past 7 years.

San Diego is an absolutely beautiful place to live. Short of Hawaii, I can't think of a nicer landscape to look at -- mountains, ocean, colorful flowers and desert shrubs. Unfortunately, other than that (big) benefit, San Diego lacks in many many areas.

First of all, San Diego is big-time conservative. Almost to a fault. The people here are extremely judgmental and holier-than-thou, if you know what I mean. And if you can avoid the conservatives, you will probably have the bad luck of running into the self-important, rich, everything is about me people.

Second, San Diego lacks any and all culture, and/or cosmopolitan nature. It is NOT San Francisco, or LA, or Seattle, or Chicago. It is like a wanna-bee culture city. The only culture here is Spanish, which is nice (for a short while). Don't get your heart set on seeing good plays, or musicals, or concerts, etc. It is just very commercialized and a bit phony here.

Third, San Diego is outrageously expensive. $550k for a starter home (one that is not falling apart), and $1500+ for a decent 1br apartment. If you want to live with a roommate, you can probably get in for $800/each minimum. The property taxes are through the roof. The worst part is income tax, at 9.3% (but all of California has that problem).

On the other hand, you have Seattle, with NO state income tax, and all of the beauty of San Diego and then some. Sure, you're not going to get the perfect climate and desert landscape, but you'll get a very rich, green, lush, mountain landscape with the benefit of the ocean (which is too cold to swim in -- that's another benefit of San Diego, I guess).

It all comes down to what you are looking for. If you are looking for low taxes, natural beauty, friendly people, liberal politics, and a relatively affordable area, pick Seattle. If you require a perfect climate, ocean to swim in, desert landscape, and don't mind the very high cost of living, lack of culture, and relatively rude and self-important people, pick San Diego.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:22 PM

52 posts, read 230,786 times
Is everyone and their brother on this board going to art galleries or something? Im sorry but as a 23 year old male I guess I dont get the big deal. Im from the bay and the people in SF are so smug its ridiculous. Whatever floats your boat, but Ive never seen more "arts" folks than on this board. Whats cosmopolitan about SF? Homeless people and dirty streets? Ive never seen one girl in SF who had a sense of fashion to begin with. San Diego has a much more "LA" feel to it that Seattle or SF will ever have

Old 12-21-2007, 07:52 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,195 times
Why would I care if people around me have "fashion sense". I'd really rather be surrounded by people with more "common sense".

Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
Is everyone and their brother on this board going to art galleries or something?
I'm more the Beer and Nachos crowd-spent too many nites in a Bollweevil watching ESPN

Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 15,118 times
Third, San Diego is outrageously expensive. $550k for a starter home (one that is not falling apart), and $1500+ for a decent 1br apartment. If you want to live with a roommate, you can probably get in for $800/each minimum.

don't scare people away, or actually, maybe we should, allready enough of us here.

Not true, totally, depends on where in San Diego you live. I could rent a home in IB or Chula in a nice safe neigborhood (yes , there are some there, bad rep only, I think they continue it on purpose to keep people out) and spend twice as much for the same apt, home to rent in PB, OB, LA Jolla, Mission Valley, in a worse neighborhood. But my address will say PB, not IB.

I think i'm cooler saving a 1,000 a month on my 3 bed, 2.5 bath home than have the "I" changed to a "P" on my return address lable. My friend, who does live in the "nice"part of PB, has had her apt once, and car, twice broken into. I never have, and she pays what I do for a one bedroom apt, older than my home.

Now who is laughing last. btw, she's renting my extra room for $500.00 mo, longer comute, but shorter time, traffic you know. OH, I live on the beach too, just to let you know. I sit on the porch in the am to watch the water and sun play on it each day. My biggist complaint, bugs. You pay for that. My I'm paying half as much because I have an I instead of a P or O ahead of the B on my bills. And a nicer home.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:33 PM

240 posts, read 888,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7778 View Post
First of all, San Diego is big-time conservative. Almost to a fault. The people here are extremely judgmental and holier-than-thou, if you know what I mean. And if you can avoid the conservatives, you will probably have the bad luck of running into the self-important, rich, everything is about me people.

Second, San Diego lacks any and all culture, and/or cosmopolitan nature. It is NOT San Francisco, or LA, or Seattle, or Chicago. It is like a wanna-bee culture city. The only culture here is Spanish, which is nice (for a short while). Don't get your heart set on seeing good plays, or musicals, or concerts, etc. It is just very commercialized and a bit phony here.
"Big-time conservative". Yes, that's why Al Gore and John Kerry won in San Diego, a majority of the City Council are Democrats, and the mayor recently announced his support for same-sex marriage. A real right-wing-kind of place. Sarcasm aside, I find that most people in San Diego have a "live and let live" attitude. I've never experienced the "extremely judgemental and holier-than-thou" feeling.

"lacks any and all culture". Simply false. Anyway, I doubt that most people who consider San Diego are looking for high-brow artistic events. Most people in the U.S. just want a nice place to live, some space, and above all, a safe environment for themselves and their kids.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:44 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7778 View Post
Second, San Diego lacks any and all culture, and/or cosmopolitan nature.
We have a symphony, an opera, museums, nationally recognized theater (Old Globe and La Jolla Playhouse), numerous concert venues, monthly art events, access to independent and foreign films, our own Zagat Restaurant Guide, annual music and neighborhood festivals, etc. How could you say we lack anything?

We may not be NYC or LA, but we're not Fargo, either.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:55 AM

35 posts, read 160,795 times
San Diego rules! Carne asada burritos, fish tacos, beach cruisers and the pacific ocean, any more questions!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 48,495 times
I have seen on a few different posts comments about San Diego County, can anyone here comment on race relations in this county?? Specifically Carlsbad, San Marcos etc.? I am thinking of moving from the Midwest. I am an AA woman, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks and Merry Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego