Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times

Advertisements

Years back I was offered a job at a company. They required employees (men) to wear a tie at the workplace.

I turned down the job. Tie wasn't the only reason, but it was a reason.

Levis 501 blue jeans for me, please. That and a Polo shirt or button-down. Business casual shoes. That's been my personal dress code as an engineer. Rarely wear T-shirts. Never sweats. Never flip flops (to work that is).

Come to think of it, my profile pic has what I wear to work, although that was taken while I was on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:47 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
In downtown, you see a lot of guys wearing suits and ties and women wearing dresses and other formal stuff. I think a lot of them are lawyers or work for the courts.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSerra23 View Post
Yeah...most really do dress really bad in San Diego. Especially considering that people have money here.

I'm from the east coast - NYC, VA/DC and even after a year its still kind of a shock to see how people leave their house. The dress code for work, even the most professional here is ridiculous to me. I would never pay an employee no matter how good they are if they don't have the pride to take care of themselves - no excuse.

Theres almost no occasion to dress up in San Diego. On a Saturday night, the "dress up" look for guys is a frat boy button down and a white shirt underneath...ugh.

Also, there is no reason for a grown man to wear sandals, ever - thats for little children and women. Grow up.

Honestly though, its the girls that take the cake. Sure there are some rich, fitness nuts who run all day, sit on the beach, and actually get dressed up. But for the rest of them -- they really some of the worst dressed girls I've ever seen outside of a small town.

In PB you will see maybe 5% of the girls wearing heels, looking sexy during the weekend - the rest of the girls make fun of them. I've seen the same thing in the gaslamp where you see more dressed up girls - but you still see "locals" ragging on them. "What the hell is she wearing? Where does she think she is?"

I don't care if its a beach town, I want the girls to look good. But unfortunately, the females have 2 speeds here - workout clothes and "Dumpy" beach outfits. Yayy.
I think that day street hooker look is a mostly E Coast thing.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Go to Fashion valley Mall and it looks like Hollywood mixed with some exotic foreign country.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
LOL at BSerra telling men who wear Flip Flops to grow up. Move back to the east coast please

Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
LOL at BSerra telling men who wear Flip Flops to grow up. Move back to the east coast please
phhhttt

We've seen those anti-Flip Floppers before.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:35 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
In downtown, you see a lot of guys wearing suits and ties and women wearing dresses and other formal stuff. I think a lot of them are lawyers or work for the courts.
court wear is famously conservative no matter how casual the city-and I worked with courts in a few parts of the country and maybe other than banking, there is no occupation as conservative dressing. Pretty miserable to be in a suit in august, in Tampa, let me tell you.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
court wear is famously conservative no matter how casual the city-and I worked with courts in a few parts of the country and maybe other than banking, there is no occupation as conservative dressing. Pretty miserable to be in a suit in august, in Tampa, let me tell you.
I bet with all that nasty humidity.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM

11 posts, read 28,548 times
The above photo makes me think I shouldn't be so worried about moving from MS to San Diego. But one of the things I hate about living in the deep south was the feer of morphing in to the above photo.
I did enjoy the Fashion Valley Mall when I was there.It felt like a metropilis compared to upscale shopping here, Walmart is the grocer and the tailor. Felt quite at home when getting items shipped from Gucci to Mississippi when the Gucci employee asked me if Mississippi was in New Orleans. Ho Hum. No worries, though, our local newspaper said the other day that the bank lines take so long here b/c 95% of locals couldn't fill out the deposit/withdrawal slips and most of the tellers had not gone to high school. Could this be the humidity as well?

Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisley4 View Post
The above photo makes me think I shouldn't be so worried about moving from MS to San Diego. But one of the things I hate about living in the deep south was the feer of morphing in to the above photo.
I did enjoy the Fashion Valley Mall when I was there.It felt like a metropilis compared to upscale shopping here, Walmart is the grocer and the tailor. Felt quite at home when getting items shipped from Gucci to Mississippi when the Gucci employee asked me if Mississippi was in New Orleans. Ho Hum. No worries, though, our local newspaper said the other day that the bank lines take so long here b/c 95% of locals couldn't fill out the deposit/withdrawal slips and most of the tellers had not gone to high school. Could this be the humidity as well?
The Fashion Valley Mall is an abberation. Most sane folks know that mall peddles overpriced junk. People go up there to dress up and buy overpriced junk.......definitely not the norm for Frumpy-Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego