U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,189 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find out more Information about moving to San Diego and noticed something interesting. On most Maps there isn't even a mention of Carmel Valley or Carmel Mountain. And If you look on google maps those cities seem to be of a fairly normal size? Maybe someone who is familiar with the Area could explain to me why those areas seem to be non-existent on some maps. It's almost the same for an Area called Torrey Pines. They all seem to very nice areas...should I scratch them off my list of places to move. I would also like to mention there is an Area called Rancho Bernardo that seems to be pretty well represented unlike the others although it's pretty similar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM

8,504 posts, read 27,504,848 times
None of the areas you mentioned are cities - they are neighborhoods of the City of San Diego.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 9,375,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNC3 View Post
I'm trying to find out more Information about moving to San Diego and noticed something interesting. On most Maps there isn't even a mention of Carmel Valley or Carmel Mountain. And If you look on google maps those cities seem to be of a fairly normal size? Maybe someone who is familiar with the Area could explain to me why those areas seem to be non-existent on some maps. It's almost the same for an Area called Torrey Pines. They all seem to very nice areas...should I scratch them off my list of places to move. I would also like to mention there is an Area called Rancho Bernardo that seems to be pretty well represented unlike the others although it's pretty similar.
I understand what you mean. However, Google Maps for as great as a tool it is, shouldnt be relied upon as a source for more technical boundaries in regards to cities or neighborhoods.

Your best bet is to go by zip code around here or use a real estate map that only shows homes in said city or neighborhood which are more clearly defined.

Here is an example of Carmel Valley using google maps but filtering out all adjacent areas.
SDLookup.com | Carmel Valley Map of Homes For Sale

On sdlookup you will be able to more narrowly identify each specific area as it filters out others. I am not entirely certain if other MLS websites do this as well.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,603,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
None of the areas you mentioned are cities - they are neighborhoods of the City of San Diego.
Exactly what Sassberto said. All of these areas are neighborhoods of San Diego so they all have a San Diego address. Occasionally I'll see a few real estate listings list it as Carmel Valley, CA 92130 it's very few and far between and I think it's mainly for marketing purposes.

We're also looking at homes in Carmel Valley (92130) and some houses in the Santaluz development of 92127 which I guess is in Rancho Bernardo.

I use this website for zip codes. I think it's fairly accurate but I agree with Shmoov probably not to totally depend on them.

Zip Code Finder and Boundary Map.

It sounds like based on your search, you probably have school aged kids. One of the biggest reasons we are looking in those areas is the excellent school districts. Probably if you don't have kids, these areas could be a bit boring for you. Lots and lots of families there.

We were out looking at houses in Carmel Valley last year and while some people say the houses are all vanilla cookie cutter type. We found a fairly decent variety in nice neighborhoods with excellent schools nearby. I just wish there were more homes for sale in that zip code. There isn't too much on the market in 92130 at the size we are looking for. I watch it daily. And the really nice homes that are "move in ready" with renovated kitchens and bathrooms are moving at a fairly good pace and not too much lower than some peak prices. One house that we saw in 92130 that we saw on the very first day it was listed sold by day # 6 last year.

Others like this one in 92130 ..... http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/5.../home/17206265 went for not too much lower than what they paid in 2007.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 04-02-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 05:59 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,507,411 times
I think a lot of real estate agents will list things as being in "Carmel Valley" or "Torrey Pines" instead of San Diego, because those two names have a certain prestige that are associated with them.

Carmel Mountain on the other hand, is sort of illusive because the majority of Carmel Mountain is warehouse/r&d and retail. As an agent you may list it as being in Carmel Mountain, but you're going to emphasize that it's in the "Poway School District".

Old 04-02-2011, 10:20 PM

6,247 posts, read 10,308,384 times
Just because this bugged me during news for the wildfires ...

There is a place named Carmel Mountain. It's along the 56 (north side, I think) west of Penasquitos. It's named that on topo maps. I 'bout freaked out when the TV newsperson reporting the fires said he was talking from "Carmel Mountain"! :-o Wondered why we'd missed the evacuation notices!!!

The area he was talking from, and which you're almost certainly talking about is named Carmel Mountain Ranch.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 AM

3,035 posts, read 13,616,258 times
If schools, almost no crime and family oriented living is what you are after, then hone in on the zips represented by the Poway school district:

Poway - 92064
Rancho Bernardo (includes 4S, Carmel Mtn and Sabre Springs) - 92127/92128
Rancho Penaquitos ("PQ") - 92129

You really can't go wrong in any of these areas.

Each has something a little different to offer....Carmel Mtn/Sabre Springs feels the most 'urban' of the 3 and is definitely the busiest area. Poway spans the broadest range with entry level homes to 10M dollar homes all within the same zip. I like Poway best because it's incorporated and does not have to rely on the city of San Diego for services. It also the most rural feeling and has the best selection of homes with property as everything in north Poway is the beneficiary of lot mins. which were enforced after the incorporation. People like RB (92128) because it is polished and conforming and not one inch of RB is neglected (all under the care of an HOA of some kind). RB West (92127) is dominated by 4S Ranch and some nice entry level areas like Camino Bernardo and High Country West, so it feels much more family oriented than the 92128 side, which began as a retirement community years ago and still has that 'retirement' feel to it. PQ benefits from being close to the ocean, so the weather is a little nicer there as opposed to other North County inland areas. It's also a bedroom community as there is very little commercial activity in PQ.

Older parts of Poway and PQ even provide some decent entry level housing for those just getting started.

92130 (Carmel Valley) is not bad either, but you pay a premium to live there, and personally, I think it's a bit over-rated. I like the people North County inland a little better as they are much more down to earth. If you love it there because the shopping centers are newer, then you can always drive there in 5 mins. on the 56.

It's all a personal preference and what you are willing to sacrifice for a little more prestige. If I were to live on the coast, I would probably pick an area in Encinitas over Carmel Valley.

Last edited by socketz; 04-03-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM

6,247 posts, read 10,308,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
... PQ benefits from being close to the ocean, so the weather is a little nicer there as opposed to other North County inland areas. It's also a bedroom community as there is very little commercial activity in PQ. ...
PQ is closer, but not close, to the ocean. The ocean is conveniently accessible by way of Highway 56. What's good for our weather is that we're at the east end of Penasquitos Canyon, which helps channel ocean breezes to us.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM

1,785 posts, read 3,507,411 times
Yea, I've always noticed the weather is definitely a few degrees cooler in PQ than Miramar and the eastern part of Mira Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego