Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,374,275 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend staying in Carlsbad and driving to SD to do the things you mentioned.

We lived for several years in La Costa, and also on Camp Pendleton (near the front gate) and went to Balboa/Downtown ALOT - the drive isn't bad to those places on the weekends if you leave early enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haripinc View Post
Is there any area I should avoid? I read somewhere that Oceanside is not really desirable. San marcos and Escondido as well because of warmer climate.

Well, I am from Tucson, AZ. Our 'traffic jam' is 6 cars on the lights. I appreciate your input since I normally visited San Diego as a tourist.
There are parts of Oceanside that are pretty nice, but if you're working on the East side of Carlsbad anywhere near Palomar Airport Road, I'd consider areas of Vista like Shadowridge. Areas of San Marcos might fit as well and if you've lived in Tucson, then the warmer climate won't be a big deal. I don't think there would be a reason to go as far as Escondido. Del Mar is too expensive for your budget. I'd try to find something in Carlsbad, La Costa, or Encinitas. If nothing fits your budget in those places, then I'd try Shadowridge in Vista and parts of San Marcos.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:00 AM

5 posts, read 16,602 times
I will be working really close to Legoland (still don't know the area yet).

Well, i guess it's not really easy to find a house in Carlsbad that accepts 50 lbs dog. Which area of Oceanside are considered good?

I am currently looking at Carlsbad and Encinitas.

Although I am in Tucson, I am renting an apartment with free AC. So, I will get a shock therapy when I see my electric bill in San Diego.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 AM

788 posts, read 1,869,889 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a family with an infant. My wife is a piano teacher so she is flexible in her work. At first, she was worried being a bit far from the city for errands (IKEA) and things to do (Balboa park, etc). However, after your comments for 45 minutes commutes, we decided to live near Carlsbad.

Interestingly, when I visited for an interview couple weeks ago, Carlsbad - San Diego trip at 5 pm on Monday only took about 20 minute-ish which was not bad at all. I guess this is an anomaly.

We are trying to live in a house so we don't have to deal with noise and other apartments issues. If I am wrong, please let me know the apartment/community to live.

I have been looking at Craigslist for Carlsbad, Encinitas, San Marcos and Del Mar (is this too far?). So far it's not that easy with budget under 2000 for 2 bedroom and a big dog .
The southernmost limit of Carlsbad is actually only 10 miles (just googlemapped it) from the northernmost limit of San Diego. However, the commute can be pretty lousy. The parts of San Diego that are closest to Carlsbad are some of the most expensive places to live. If you plan on living further south along the I-5, then expect to hit the rush hour commute going south from UTC/La Jolla to the 52.

I would just recommend a place in Carlsbad, Encinitas, or Oceanside because the commute wouldn't be bad. For cheaper options, western San Marcos, and southern Vista (Shadowridge) are also nice communities that border Carlsbad and have major roads that lead to the city. I personally enjoy Vista/La Costa/ western San Marcos weather better than the coast. Remember that living by the coast means a marine layer. The places I just mentioned are not too close to the coast to have the fog, but not far enough inland for extreme heat. Plus the rolling hills usually have a nice breeze and these communities are pretty well maintained...

Old 04-27-2011, 01:18 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
... Although I am in Tucson, I am renting an apartment with free AC. So, I will get a shock therapy when I see my electric bill in San Diego.
In Carlsbad and Encinitas you'll need to run A/C much less often than in Tucson. So it may not be all that bad.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:16 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
In Carlsbad and Encinitas you'll need to run A/C much less often than in Tucson. So it may not be all that bad.
When I lived in Carlsbad and Encinitas during the 90's, none of the 4 places that I lived in even had AC. We just had fans. I actually didn't have AC when I lived in Vista either, but it did get a bit warmer and more uncomfortable. Wherever you end up, the amount of days where heat is a problem is very few. It would be worse in Escondido and San Marcos, but you could survive with just fans.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,811,495 times
I've lived in Encinitas for like 24 years and I don't have A/C and really have never needed it. The few days it does get hotter, a fan works just fine, and it doesn't really get humid/muggy here. However, SD does have high electricity/gas rates.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times
No AC here (3 miles inland), but the west-facing windows do just fine except for about 2 weeks in August when it's pretty miserable with heat and/or humidity. Inland any further and I'd have AC for sure.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 16,602 times
Thanks all for the helpful comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego