Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 PM

177 posts, read 398,898 times

Advertisements

You guys are hipsters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Congrats on the baby to be!
Thanks - due date is in 1 month!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:03 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Hip areas and good schools don't really happen in San Diego, especially not in your price range. Also hip areas in San Diego tend to be a little bit anti-family - lots of bars, alternative lifestyles on display, pot shops, etc. We are pretty hip folks, and lived in Hillcrest for years, but I could not imagine living in Hillcrest with a small child (I have a 3yr/old and another on the way) just due to the noise. Mission Hills and Kensington are really the best choices for families in the inner-city, but they are way out of your price range for the most part.

Personally I would look at University Heights, South Park, or if you want something sleepier, La Mesa (which has it's own small, cute, walkable village).
Yeah, what Sass said. A lot of my non-catholic friends send their kids to catholic schools because they want to live in North Park, Uni Heights, South Park, etc but the schools aren't great. La Mesa is certainly an option, it's not really a "hip" neighborhood per se, but it's a lot more cosmopolitan than most of the other suburbs.

As for driving distance to all the stuff you mentioned, Even in La Mesa- which is further East- you're only looking at ~15 minutes to the coast depending on what beach you go to (I'm thinking Coronado, best kid's beach!) and about that to the zoo, Balboa Park, etc.

You guys sound like you're in my demographic, so if you want to hit me up when you actually get out here to go do some stuff- see some bands or something, give me a holler.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post
You guys are hipsters?
"Hip" and "hipster" are different

Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 8,942 times
Ready to make the move in a few months. Looking into La Mesa presently. Any new suggestions?

Old 01-13-2014, 07:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
I think you will be happy in North Park/South Park, University Heights.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Yeah, what Sass said. A lot of my non-catholic friends send their kids to catholic schools because they want to live in North Park, Uni Heights, South Park, etc but the schools aren't great. La Mesa is certainly an option, it's not really a "hip" neighborhood per se, but it's a lot more cosmopolitan than most of the other suburbs.

As for driving distance to all the stuff you mentioned, Even in La Mesa- which is further East- you're only looking at ~15 minutes to the coast depending on what beach you go to (I'm thinking Coronado, best kid's beach!) and about that to the zoo, Balboa Park, etc.

You guys sound like you're in my demographic, so if you want to hit me up when you actually get out here to go do some stuff- see some bands or something, give me a holler.
There is no way you are going to get to Coronado from La Mesa in 15 minutes.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:31 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmoore17 View Post
We want to rent at first, between $900-$1500. We can afford private schools, but we would really like our daughter to go to a nice public school.
Even the young, hip and tattoed folks have to make do with sterile surburbia for the kids/school factors here in SD.(:
$
900 is a no go for the most part, as far as budget. Though you might be able to find a rental in parts of North Park or Adams Ave. [You'd fit in fine here; the schools are very hit or miss. Bernie Elementary school switched to the IB track a few years back and is rumored to be getting better, however. Also, Mission Hills has a good elementary school. And you can check out the list of Charter schools on the SD city schools website. They are located throughout the district [and larger SD county, too] and open to anyone residing in CA. The best ones usually have a lottery for enrollment, due to demand. Worth exploring.

Also, great schools dot org is a good resource for reviews and ratings.

Otherwise, look at Poway; it's the 'best district' in SD. Not very hip. But you can drive to anything you need/want. Also, Encinitas might be of interest; tough with your budget, but you could still look. I live in Carmel Valley [the other top district] and we pay just under 1500 for a 2/2 rental with nice complex amenities, walking distance to elementary, middle and high school; it's a few miles from torrey pines state beach. It really is a great spot for kids as far as safe, walkable to clean parks, healthfood/chain grocery stores, etc. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any specific questions.

[Subjective note: It's a pretty 'square' area here in CV. Not hip. I've lived in missoula, boulder, SFO and boston...SD as a whole has been tough for me. But CV has been the best of the 3 areas in SD that we've lived in over 10 years, for the kid factor alone, along with the relatively more trees, proximity to the ocean and yea, I'll say it: Not dealing with lots of homeless or drug scene. So much easier/nicer set up with children. My day to day life is much more suited to my current lifestyle priorities.]

Use the 'search' feature on this forum, though, b/c school and family threads are started at the rate of about 3 per week. I should really just have a set of pdfs that I cut and paste from, at this point, instead of re typing the same info each time. lol.

Also, avoid Ocean Beach/OB and Pacific Beach/PB proper [though North PB and Crown Point would be nice areas for you to live, if you can find something in your budget, and the schools in these areas are good]. PB itself is loaded with tattoo parlors these days.

Side note: I don't have any tats, but have friends who are heavily tattooed and have children; it can be tough when living in the more suburban areas of SD, especially as you go inland. But it's not awful. lol. SD is pretty live and let live. It's just that if you want to be around folks who 'look like you', you don't have as many choices in SD. The tricky part is that the hip areas of SD are the more urban, and in SD, unlike many other cities (with walkable city neighborhoods each with a unique personality-some for families, some for singles,etc), the urban neighborhoods for the most part, are not great places for schools/families. SD is a spread out series of suburbs.

ETA: Just realized OP was from 2011 and so I replied starting from scratch.(:

Last edited by lrmsd; 01-15-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
There is no way you are going to get to Coronado from La Mesa in 15 minutes.
I agree. And, I also do not think Coronado is the 'best kids beach'. It's a good beach and can be good for families. But there are SO MANY others as options, too. La Jolla Shores [NOT LJ Cove with the seals which is totally different and people seem to get confused], Del Mar, Encinitas Moonlight beach, even Torrey Pines beach always has plenty of families, and it's right next to Carmel Valley. And most places are under 30 min. to the zoo.
Honestly, it's expected that in SD, you'll get on a freeway. And most places are very easily accessible. Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach and Coronado are the toughest areas to get in and out of as far as being near other city amenities, for the most part. Oh, and Mira Mesa, too.
I think the OP has many more choices besides La Mesa, too. Meh on that one. I mean, I like La Mesa fine, but there are other options.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Hip areas and good schools don't really happen in San Diego, especially not in your price range. Also hip areas in San Diego tend to be a little bit anti-family - lots of bars, alternative lifestyles on display, pot shops, etc. We are pretty hip folks, and lived in Hillcrest for years, but I could not imagine living in Hillcrest with a small child (I have a 3yr/old and another on the way) just due to the noise. Mission Hills and Kensington are really the best choices for families in the inner-city, but they are way out of your price range for the most part.

Personally I would look at University Heights, South Park, or if you want something sleepier, La Mesa (which has it's own small, cute, walkable village).
Yea, we lived in normal heights for a few years with kids, and it kind of s*cked for families. I would not do it again-even though we had tons of friends in the area with kids. And we did Charter schools/home school, etc.

I think if the OP can sacrifice commute [ie welding jobs probably in east county, as mentioned] to job and 'zoo, etc', there are many options with great schools and near beaches, some amenities, etc.

Even Solana Beach, next to Encinitas, has the Belly Up Tavern and some good nightlife in nearby Encinitas, too. Pacific Beach, as well. SD is so spread out, as are its amenities. The hard part is how the areas have changed-OB has a lot of meth and is sketchy, for example-but people will still always recommend it to anyone with dreads and tattoos. lol.

Also, check Oceanside/Vista/North County for welding work, too.
The areas of Carlsbad and San Marcos adjacent would be good for schools and families. Oceanside's a bit rough around the edges as far as schools, etc, but have the edge a 'hip family' might want, too...so living in the north county region might work, as well. (:

If looking for middle or high school, I think Charter schools or one of the sterile 'top districts' is the best choice. You have a little more leeway at the elementary level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego