Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

127 posts, read 424,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
My opinion...if my parents enrolled me in an "academic preschool", I'd probably grow up despising them and everything they stood for.

Preschool is not the time, nor place, to "mold" your child into a future scientist, doctor, or lawyer. Preschool is about exploration, socialization, and learning about boundaries. It's not a place where a child should get their "indoctrination" into what will be the next 13-17 years of their education.

From my experience, when an authoritative figure pushes (parent), I will push back harder.

The saying "catholic girls are easy" should raise a flag. When you push, prod and force your will (and beliefs) on your child, the more they will resist.

Let a kid be a kid for Christ sake. My opinion...nothing more, nothing less.
Worthy opinion! I agree with you thought that children become independent thinkers when not made to follow prescribed doctrine...which is why we are extremely particular about the schools our son attends, and I am sure is some thing every parent thinks about.

For a child like mine who craves intellectual stimulation, who asks "what is that letter" "what does that say", "what does __ word mean", who is demanding to know the "real names" of dinosaurs, (causing me to have to go look them up phonetically), who has a nearly photographic memory when it comes to auditory presented information, and who states daily that he wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up...I would be doing him a disservice not to give him access to the information he is asking for, whether through a school, museum trips, library books etc. ...now on the other hand if he had no interest in any of that, I'd probably also changed how I chose his school environment because it should always be about what is best for the mental, social and physical development of the child.

Making judgmental comments about how any parent, personally and generally speaking, is trying to give their child what they need developmentally or academically, is uncalled for, and if I did that with my post, I apologize.

From my experience, when an authoritative figure pushes (parent), I used that as a challenge. I personally used it to make myself a better person and as a motivator to acheive the goals and ambitions I set for myself. Never would I assume that any other person, adult or child would respond exactly the same way I did to an authoritative figure in their life, but for me it made me the person I am today, so I am grateful.

Finally, I agree with the statement, "Let a kid be a kid..." They have so little time to be young they should play, and get dirty and make awesome box forts in the living room for their toy dragons!

[My opinion....nothing more, nothing less.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
^^^^
sounds reasonable. I was always asking about everything when I was young, as well.

You sound like a reasonable parent that sees both sides of the spectrum, as well as the benefits and pitfalls. Good luck with everything, I wish you and your child continued success!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Well said DCStudent and dj,

I dont have kids, but am planning on it. However from experience with nieces and nephews, without question every child is different with varying responses to things at every age. Giving a child a platform to just be a kid and let them explore is what its about. Some might ask lots of questions, others might be really quiet but be really good building things with toy blocks. Pushing isnt a bad thing at a later age, when self realization starts kicking in but not at the investigative stages. Yikes!
One thing that I also believe simply cannot be taught in school is discipline, there is simply no substitute for it. I am sure some of you reading this have seen kids that have 0 discipline running around restaurants etc. Even having manners regardless if you pick up trash or have are building rockets has no substitute.

What I find troubling is the obsessive need to push a child in a certain direction out of parental peer pressure, NOT because a child is starving more information or whatever he/she maybe drawn to that would require a Nationally ranked academic preschool.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 05-12-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,715 times
My wife and are are in the beginning process of touring preschools for our 2yr 9 mo old son. We are in the La Costa area and so far we have visited La Costa Valley & Aspirations.
La Costa Valley is a more established school and is accredited. The toys, books and furniture seemed a bit worn, but I don't think it's something the kids notice. The children seemed involved in what was going on in each class we walked through. The staff was friendly and the school looked secure.
Aspirations is a much newer school with a very heavy emphasis on art. Every class we walked through kids were painting this and drawing that. They teach Spanish and occasionally a sign language teacher comes in. Academics are not stressed and the children dictate the pace of the subjects based on the interest of the class. The children seemed to be having fun.
If anyone has had experience with either school we'd love to hear your comments and suggestions for other preschools as well.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettGS1 View Post
My wife and are are in the beginning process of touring preschools for our 2yr 9 mo old son. We are in the La Costa area and so far we have visited La Costa Valley & Aspirations.
La Costa Valley is a more established school and is accredited. The toys, books and furniture seemed a bit worn, but I don't think it's something the kids notice. The children seemed involved in what was going on in each class we walked through. The staff was friendly and the school looked secure.
I had the same impressions of La Costa Valley. We were going to take our child there but we ultimately decided to go with the the Ecke YMCA preschool. It just clicked with our family and our child's personality more than La Costa Valley did. (After our child's first day the teacher's said it was like he'd always been in their class, because he fit in so seamlessly.) I'd suggest checking them out as well. They have key card only entrance for parents and a person who monitors the door at the entrance. It's a very secure facility, not to mention access to YMCA facilities. You have to purchase a one year child membership for the student but their tuition is a bit lower than elsewhere so it evens out in the end.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Thanks! We'll definitely check out the YMCA. Your description of your child in your earlier posts sounds just like my son.

We also recently toured Carlsbad Country Day. They were voted by Channel 8 viewers as the #2 preschool in San Diego. It is a newer school and seems to have a balanced curriculum. This school has a cafeteria and meals are included. It also offers a 4-day schedule as well as the normal 2, 3 & 5-day schedules.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM

274 posts, read 318,218 times
This thread is cracking me up, I love how every single child nowadays is "advanced" and "gifted", I just hope the parents aren't crushed if the child turns out to be average like most do. Now of course my child is the one who is REALLY advanced, inquisitive, and has a photographic memory, so she is the exception ;-)

Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM

There's a blockzilla type in every thread who adds zero to a discussion. Feel better about yourself now?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
This thread is cracking me up, I love how every single child nowadays is "advanced" and "gifted", I just hope the parents aren't crushed if the child turns out to be average like most do. Now of course my child is the one who is REALLY advanced, inquisitive, and has a photographic memory, so she is the exception ;-)

Can't change facts, or a parents opinion. No child is average to a parent even if others see them that way.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCStudent View Post
I had the same impressions of La Costa Valley. We were going to take our child there but we ultimately decided to go with the the Ecke YMCA preschool. It just clicked with our family and our child's personality more than La Costa Valley did. (After our child's first day the teacher's said it was like he'd always been in their class, because he fit in so seamlessly.) I'd suggest checking them out as well. They have key card only entrance for parents and a person who monitors the door at the entrance. It's a very secure facility, not to mention access to YMCA facilities. You have to purchase a one year child membership for the student but their tuition is a bit lower than elsewhere so it evens out in the end.

Just an Update...

At the end of the summer we ended up taking our son out of the Ecke Preschool and enrolled him at La Costa Valley. Turned out to be a much better fit for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego