Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM

17 posts, read 76,588 times

Advertisements

I am looking at an appartment in La Mesa at the base of Mt. Helix. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how the living is there? My office is going to be in La Jolla but im a conslutant and will be going out to various client sites. Am I in for a nasty commute? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:10 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkreuder View Post
I am looking at an appartment in La Mesa at the base of Mt. Helix. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how the living is there? My office is going to be in La Jolla but im a conslutant and will be going out to various client sites. Am I in for a nasty commute? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's a nice area. Easy access to La Mesa village which has small shops and is walkable. It's an older, solidly middle-class area with wealthier people up in the hills. No cookie-cutter tracts, massive chockablock complexes, big box stores, or 90mph surface streets to be seen.

Commute will be OK in the AM but going home you will hit traffic on i-8 east from Waring Road to El Cajon.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 76,588 times
Thanks for the tip. Im looking for slightly cheapter living that in La Jolla and Del Mar and found some places in Craigslist with 2 bedrooms for $995.00.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM

15 posts, read 56,963 times
Sassberto said it well in epitomizing La Mesa. Depending on where in La Jolla you are working, the commuter will differ; however, the commute to East County tends to be better than some of the Northbound or Southbound commutes. We have a small little bunch up along the 52 East in the afternoon, but only from the 15 to Santo road where the fwy. narrows. Or if you are taking the 8 then it knots up for a short span from Mission Gorge to College. I take that commute a couple of days a week, so I'm pretty familiar. As commutes go, eastbound is probably the best.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
Great.A little close to the SESD/ESD area but it's still great.The commute might be one of the best.The 94 and the 54 have minor slowing for a few exits but it is nothing like the 805,5,or the 8.From that area it might be best to 94West to the 5North.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
I'd say La Mesa is a "best price" area in San Diego in terms of what you get for the money. There's cheaper places to be found, as well as fancier, but as for the whole package of good community, safe, and for as cheap as possible, La Mesa's it. The side south of the 8 you're talking about actually feels a bit like a medwestern town, but the north actually does have some postwar tract housing and Grossmont center for your big box stores.

As far as the commute, 8 will be good most of the time, but if you catch it on a bad time or during an accident or something, just take the 52 to the 128 instead and you'll be fine.

Not to mention that Mount Helix has some awesome views. On a nice day, I love to grab a cup of coffee and just park up there and have a look for a while... I think it's a bit of a lover's lane at night though for the local kids haha. Once I was up there at night and saw that I was cramping some people's styles by just hanging around and enjoying the city lights lol.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Great.A little close to the SESD/ESD area but it's still great.The commute might be one of the best.The 94 and the 54 have minor slowing for a few exits but it is nothing like the 805,5,or the 8.From that area it might be best to 94West to the 5North.
Saying Mount Helix is close to SESD is like saying Eastlake is close to Spring Valley, isn't it?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Saying Mount Helix is close to SESD is like saying Eastlake is close to Spring Valley, isn't it?
You beat me to it!! lol

Old 08-04-2007, 10:23 AM

15 posts, read 56,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Yeah, or Kensington is close to City Heights, Rancho Santa Fe is part of Mira Mesa. Banker's Hill is close to Golden Hill or Sherman Heights. You guys are funny!

Old 10-15-2007, 05:23 PM

87 posts, read 476,182 times
I hate La Mesa because I am jealous of it. How did La Mesa happen to avoid the disease that plagues the rest of East County - u know El Cajon, Spring Valley and Lemon Grove?
La Mesa thinks it is so great...and its true. There is not one square inch of bad territory in La Mesa - none. No gangs exist there and I could count on one hand the number of run down streets there are ( and even on those few streets, there is no crime).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego