Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:16 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with Pharmboy and think the market should continue it's descent throughout 2011. I do think San Diego is more insulated than lots of areas around the country but I still think much pure economic logic forces are in play. Mainly the unemployment rate is horrible, still a ton of foreclosures coming, tons of negative or near negative equity, government phasing out of supporting the market and loans should be tougher to get in the near future, Jumbo mortgage limits decreasing starting in October.

Like Pharmboy, I've watched the market the past 2 years. Although, admittedly I'm not looking at short sales for our primary residence to live in but may take a look at investment opportunities via short sales once we move to the area.

I'm not sure how much prices will fall in 2011 in San Diego. However, there is nothing I see really positive about the economy or real estate market to make me think prices will go up in 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:46 PM

333 posts, read 704,934 times
The idea that real estate values will rise anytime soon is ludicrous, and SD county could easily see another 20%+ drop over the next two years, particularly in those communities that have been considered to be insulated from the bubble burst in recent years (la jolla, del mar, etc.). That sort of blind optimism was what got real estate markets into such trouble in the first place. With the amount of shadow inventory floating around and the inevitable rise in interest rates by 2012, prices will continue to plummet. There are no "good deals" right now unless you have lots of cash on hand. Even then, I'd be hesitant to buy a primary residence in nicer parts of SD county in favor of purchasing less expensive rental properties.

We have plenty of cash on hand to buy but the long term plan for our move is to stay nimble and stay liquid, and to rent for the first couplethree years. Nothing wrong with sitting on your hands and letting current homeowners take the loss, because we haven't hit bottom yet, or anything close to it. A 10% drop in some of these areas means six figure losses. The perceived risk of getting left behind because prices will start climbing again is pretty absurd right now.

Last edited by DirtMagurt; 05-21-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 AM

2,980 posts, read 1,565,866 times
As long as the compensation for most of the new jobs created locally falls short of middle class, prices are going to be more or less sideways at best.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:07 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
A great website you might want to follow is Housing Market News I've been reading it for years. Some good stuff on it. Although I do think some on there are "permabears".

I do think prices are still headed down but at the same time in any investment it's impossible to catch the absolute highs and the absolute lows.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
For the area you are looking at try this Realtor Blog:

bubbleinfo.com | An insider's guide to North San Diego County Real Estate | Klinge Realty Blog by Jim Klinge

I live in Southbay. We bought a bit high but in this area, prices are kind of stable but low.

I also track Mission Valley.

All I can comment on is that condos can lose much more value than houses.

If you are buying, try to get into a SFR versus a condo. But it does depend on the area and HOA too.
This is a great point, in my opinion Condos are way, way overbuilt in most of San Diego County, I would not buy one unless it was an extremely great deal.

Right before the start of the housing bubble explosion I say new condos priced at close to 400k out in El Cajon. Fast forward to today and the same condo is listed in the 160-180K range. Be careful not to catch a falling knife. SFR is a lot less risky (if you get a good deal) in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego