Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM

116 posts, read 251,458 times

Advertisements

PB is walkable, depending on where in PB you live.

PB is a rather large neighborhood, maybe san diego's biggest. The zipcode covers a lot of physical ground, for a neighborhood in a city this size.

If you live WEST of Lamont street, you will find PB very walkable, for the most part.

Girl/guy ratio is horrendous. Do not rely on just showing up. You will have to be very active on that part. For example, I was out last night in PB after going to wavehouse for Sun Daze. In the 2 bars I went to, the busiest for the night, ratios were 11:20.

I think the work to live mentality love4travel mentions is true for a large segment, but not for the 'prettiest' segment, if you know what I mean. Social life in San Diego is very complex, especially if you are single, male, and looking. Many people here are in high tech fields, bio-tech, the medical industry, etc. Not terribly laid back professions. Then add in all the military and that testosterone.

Some people AVOID the more hyper areas of san diego's social scene. Just look at yelp, where users in SD seem to be very biased against night clubs and the associated trimmings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM

115 posts, read 230,749 times
What is one of the good bars? Hopefully there are some pics so I can check it out.

Also, does anyone know the male/female statistics from the 2010 census for 18-35 year olds?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM

23 posts, read 50,497 times
Hi I am from Southern California and though I haven't lived there in 3 years, I am sure not much has changed. I think the most important thing anybody should have is confidence. If you don't have it fake it till you do have it.
Whether looking for work, moving to another city, state, etc. or looking for a mate, list goes on, if you have that look of confidence, even if you may not really know 100% what you are doing you attract what you are trying to get. Easier said than done perhaps but just try it! I think as far as style anything goes these days. There are all types of people out there and you have to also be yourself.
Perhaps your style and the things that you do may change when you move to San Diego and you are surrounded by a different culture. California has more transplants than locals, I think. I was usually one of the few people who was born there whenever I met new people, they were always from out of state.
OK well now I am making NO sense LOL! I am so tired right now. Well may God Bless your decision and keep you well : )

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Go on yelp.com and look up reviews for the following bars:

Pacific Beach:
PB Bar and Grill/ Tremors
Tavern
Firehouse
Miller's Field
Bar West

Downtown:
clubs:
stingaree
fluxx
eden @ ivy hotel
on broadway

bars:
whiskey girl
henrys
yard house
nicky rotten

do a search on the above review pages for you-know-what fest

Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhope7 View Post
Hi I am from Southern California and though I haven't lived there in 3 years, I am sure not much has changed. I think the most important thing anybody should have is confidence. If you don't have it fake it till you do have it.
Whether looking for work, moving to another city, state, etc. or looking for a mate, list goes on, if you have that look of confidence, even if you may not really know 100% what you are doing you attract what you are trying to get. Easier said than done perhaps but just try it!
Oh, I completely agree. Confidence is key, plus some persistence. I slept on it last night, and now I am thinking of the ratio as more of a challenge that I can overcome for self-improvement, rather than a negative or con.

Quote:
I think as far as style anything goes these days. There are all types of people out there and you have to also be yourself.
Perhaps your style and the things that you do may change when you move to San Diego and you are surrounded by a different culture.
I think I will change a bit once I am out there for a month or so. At least I am hoping I will. It is good to hear that SD is very accepting. I want to fit in and would consider changing my wardobe if that makes it easier, but it sounds like in SD I won't have to. That is a major plus! SD seems very friendly and accepting.

Quote:
Well may God Bless your decision and keep you well : )
Thanks! God bless you too!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0t View Post
Go on yelp.com and look up reviews for the following bars:

Pacific Beach:
PB Bar and Grill/ Tremors
Tavern
Firehouse
Miller's Field
Bar West

Downtown:
clubs:
stingaree
fluxx
eden @ ivy hotel
on broadway

bars:
whiskey girl
henrys
yard house
nicky rotten

do a search on the above review pages for you-know-what fest
I looked at the photos of the people at some of those bars and clubs, and frankly, it didn't quite seem like the type of people I am used to. The people looked "cheesy" and in some of them trashy. Are these the main popular places in SD? Maybe at the bars I would frequent the ratio would be different.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Peach Tree Mike,

LOL@ the trashy folk.
I lived downtown roughly about a block or two from some of said clubs above for 6+ years. My wife and I would just crack up from the balcony in our condo at just what you were talking about. Just straight up trashy AND this before the night even started. The true horror is when the ugly lights come on and they are stumbling on the streets.You should see it for Halloween! For some ungodly reason, hooker outfits are the norm and all over the place.

The Little Italy and fringe crowds as sh0t and I mentioned are more conducive to actually having conversation and meeting people without the need for shouting etc. Granted you know what you are getting downtown which has far more straight up Discotheques with fist pumping bass etc. There are other clubs downtown that lean towards live Jazz or sports bar atmosphere, but they are the minority. Just outside the Gaslamp (its only a couple of blocks in size technically) there are some great bars that lean more towards the hipster crowd, but they are still ok to grab a beer or what not.

As someone that lived Downtown, I can tell you that a good majority of the folks are from conventions or are from out of town. So its a different type of party atmosphere than what a local may frequent.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
I looked at the photos of the people at some of those bars and clubs, and frankly, it didn't quite seem like the type of people I am used to. The people looked "cheesy" and in some of them trashy. Are these the main popular places in SD? Maybe at the bars I would frequent the ratio would be different.
The ratio will be no different, but the crowds(the males in them) might will be different. You're not going to be an exception. You are going to become just another from-out-of-town male joining the hunt.

You are 24, so I would bet the places you frequent will be more similar to the places I listed than not. The pictures from YELP don't tell the tale. San Diego's yelp crowd is mostly hipsters. Look at the pictures of those clubs on napkin nights and sites like that. I notice napkin nights has a few albums for places in Little Italy. Might surprise some people that doubted LI earlier.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
You'd probably like the Gaslamp better than PB for socializing, more upscale...and maybe check out North County restaurants/bars.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM

34 posts, read 141,642 times
Here's a few vids for you to check out Mike - I think you'll get a better feel for SD after watching:

YouTube - ‪Boudoir San Diego Night Club - Video 2‬‏ - this is a new club in downtown. watch from 45 seconds in if you want to see some crowd shots of the type of people in there.

YouTube - ‪Warm Weather in San Diego‬‏ - this vid in my opinion - accurately depicts the sort of lifestyle SD has that i love (the non-partying side of it!)

in the summertime, a few bars downtown do pool parties - here is Hard Rock's "intervention" party

YouTube - ‪Kaskade at Intervention - Hard Rock Hotel San Diego - Angel On My Shoulder‬‏

It's just a fun place to live in general. Any plans to fly out here for a visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego